Solaris by Lem Stanislaw

Solaris (original 1961; edition 2003)

by Lem Stanislaw

4,005891,279 (3.88)1 / 203
Member:tribalwolf
Title:Solaris
Authors:Lem Stanislaw
Info:Faber and Faber (2003), Edition: Tie-In - Film, Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:**
Tags:Science fiction

Solaris by Stanisław Lem (1961)

Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (S_Meyerson)
    Ubik by Philip K. Dick (seojen)
    His Master's Voice by Stanisław Lem (TMrozewski)
    TMrozewski: Both deal with the Otherness of extraterrestrial life.
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (deTerrence)
    Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock (bertilak)
    bertilak: Monsters from the id! (Just like in Forbidden Planet, kids).
    Sunshine by Alex Garland (dtw42)
    dtw42: Another exploration of the theme of weird things in space causing psychological damage to isolated travellers.
    The Explorer by James Smythe (jonathankws)
    Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer (ShelfMonkey)
    The Disestablishment of Paradise by Phillip Mann (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both novels portray alien contact as truly strange and unknowable
    Last Days of an Immortal by Fabien Vehlmann (kinsey_m)
    kinsey_m: communication problems with alien intelligent beings
    Lupus by Frederik Peeters (kinsey_m)
    Sphere by Michael Crichton (labrick)

English (71)  Italian (4)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (88)
not what i had hoped for. had so much potential. then it just didn't deliver. there are also a few chapters that are filled with scientific prattle. bummer. ( )
  jodiesohl | Jun 25, 2016 |
I mulled this over for a couple of days hoping for enough clarity to write a coherent review, but instead I'm feeling even more muddled. I liked watching Kelvin react to the Rheya analogue and try to deal with his changing feelings for it/her. And of course I liked the base concept of the planet-wide single-entity very alien intelligent being.

I did not like the long-winded descriptions of the 'ocean' and its creative formations - I was never able to visualize them (but I did, afterwards, find a website with paintings that are excellent). Nor did I understand the point of those descriptions, because we never did get to know anything meaningful about the 'ocean' like its level of intelligence, motivations, understanding of humans, etc. Very weird story. Not recommended. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Book Description
When psychologist Kris Kelvin arrives at the planet Solaris to study the ocean that covers its surface, he finds himself confronting a painful memory embodied in the physical likeness of a past lover. Kelvin learns that he is not alone in this and that other crews examining the planet are plagued with their own repressed and newly real memories. Could it be, as Solaris scientists speculate, that the ocean may be a massive neural center creating these memories, for a reason no one can identify?

My Review
I am not really a science fiction reader but I really did enjoy this story. The concept and the characters were fascinating. I read it in one sitting as it held my attention and I was curious to see how it would end. The writing has great imagery and is very thought provoking. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy science fiction or those who want to stretch beyond their normal genres. " ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
I liked the basic idea of the story and the writing and translation was excellent. The story drags by the second half with long descriptions which seemed to me to repeat. I'm not sure if I failed to understand the conclusion or if there really were no answers to questions raised in the story. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Feb 24, 2016 |
I read this more as a philosophical story of guilt, obsession and possible redemption than as a sci-fi story and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

If you have seen the film and it put you off reading this, forget the film the book is 10 times better.

Full review to appear here soon http://thereadersroom.org/ ( )
  BookWormM | Feb 22, 2016 |
Hoewel "Solaris" schitterend is verfilmd, is het boek zelf niet overdreven goed. De hoofdpersoon is een psycholoog met weinig verstand van psychologie, die probeert fysische problemen op te lossen, waar hij - en met hem de schrijver - nog minder verstand van heeft. Het gegeven is veelbelovend. De planeet is bedekt met een oceaan die leeft en zichzelf en zijn zonnestelsel kan manipuleren. De onderzoekers en de oceaan proberen met elkaar in kontakt te komen. De onhandige oceaan zaait daardoor dood en verderf. De mogelijkheden om de armoedige "science" te compenseren met spannende "fiction" worden om zeep geholpen door lange pseudo-wetenschappelijke verklaringen over de fysiologie van de planeet, wat de indruk wekt dat een kort verhaal is uitgerekt tot een boek.
added by karnoefel | editNBD / Biblion

Malm, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Olszewski, JanuszCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suvin, DarkoAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swahn, Sven ChristerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
At 19.00 hours, ship's time, I made my way to the launching bay.  The men around the shaft stood aside to let me pass, and I climbed down into the capsule.

Telling of humanity's encounter with an alien intelligence on the planet Solaris, the 1961 novel is a cult classic, exploring the ultimate futility of attempting to communicate with extra-terrestrial life.

When Kris Kelvin arrives at the planet Solaris to study the ocean that covers its surface, he finds a painful, hitherto unconscious memory embodied in the living physical likeness of a long-dead lover. Others examining the planet, Kelvin learns, are plagued with their own repressed and newly corporeal memories. The Solaris ocean may be a massive brain that creates these incarnate memories, though its purpose in doing so is unknown, forcing the scientists to shift the focus of their quest and wonder if they can truly understand the universe without first understanding what lies within their hearts.

A classic work of science fiction by renowned Polish novelist and satirist Stanislaw Lem

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:34 -0400)

"When psychologist Kris Kelvin arrives at the planet Solaris to study the ocean that covers its surface, he finds himself confronting a painful memory embodied in the physical likeness of a past lover. Kelvin learns that hs is not alone in this, and that other crews examining the planet are plagued with their own repressed and newly real memories. Could it be, as Solaris scientists speculate, that the ocean may be a massive neural center creating these memories, for a reason no one can identify? Long considered a classic, Solaris asks the question: Can we understand the universe around us without first understanding what lies within?" -- back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,773,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible