The Prestige (GOLLANCZ S.F.) by Christopher…

The Prestige (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (original 1995; edition 2005)

by Christopher Priest

Member:enigmatyzed
Title:The Prestige (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Authors:Christopher Priest
Info:Gollancz (2005), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 368 pages

The Prestige by Christopher Priest (1995)

Recently added byHyzenthlayK9, katelyn124, r.orrison, private library, crm114, proustitute, GrouchoMarxism
19th century (26) 20th century (15) audiobook (18) British (21) electricity (15) England (37) fantasy (210) fiction (360) historical (30) historical fiction (84) horror (19) made into movie (17) magic (178) magicians (95) mystery (72) novel (62) own (16) read (54) rivalry (18) science fiction (129) sf (48) sff (24) stage magic (24) steampunk (37) Tesla (25) to-read (76) twins (19) unread (37) Victorian (47) World Fantasy Award (17)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (Patangel)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (47degreesnorth)
    The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes (ahstrick)
    Despair by Vladimir Nabokov (Jarandel)
    Jarandel: The presence or absence of doubles leads protagonists to the strangest extremities. Also, unreliable narrators.
    Blank Slate Boarding House for Creatives by Chaunce Stanton (caittilynn)
    The Hum Bug by Harold Schechter (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Mysteries featuring historical personages.
    The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas (gaskella)
    Levitation: Physics and Psychology in the Service of Deception by Jim Ottaviani (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Rivalries in stage magic; coveting the apparatus for the trick; multigenerational change.

English (88)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (92)
I was expecting more of this story but actually found it very slow and not sufficiently engaging. I kept waiting for something to really grasp me and make me feel invested in the story, but it didn't really happen. ( )
  Peace2 | Mar 23, 2014 |
Anytime you incorporate Tesla into the scheme of things you have the promise of wild doings. Until he is introduced in the last third of the book, I found the plot plodding. I found myself wishing that the crux of the book was centered around the greatest electrician instead of magicians. ( )
  Elpaca | Dec 18, 2013 |
This book is like the slowest magic trick ever. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it. I'm just not sure. That being said, it was well written and engaging. ( )
  LizaJane38 | Oct 30, 2013 |
I almost gave this book a third star because I enjoyed the suspense at the end so much. After mulling it over I decided that the edge of the seat ending did not make me forgive and forget the 300 pages of slow moving story. Skip the book, see the movie!

One thing that bugged me:

Why did Rupert wait until after his prestige died to attempt a reunification? That seemed absurd. Did anyone else scratch their head at this? ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |

Christopher Priestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bracceli, Giovanni BattistaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elizabeth and Simon
It began on a train, heading north through England, although I was soon to discover that the story had really begun more than a hundred years earlier.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312858868, Paperback)

The Washington Post called this "a dizzying magic show of a novel, chock-a-block with all the props of Victorian sensation fiction: seances, multiple narrators, a family curse, doubles, a lost notebook, wraiths, and disembodied spirits; a haunted house, awesome mad-doctor machinery, a mausoleum, and ghoulish horrors; a misunderstood scientist, impossible disappearances; the sins of the fathers visited upon their descendants." Winner of the 1996 World Fantasy Award, The Prestige is even better than that, because unlike many Victorians, Priest writes crisp, unencumbered prose. And anyone who's ever thrilled to the arcing electricity in the "It's alive!" scene in Frankenstein will relish the "special effects" by none other than Nikola Tesla.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:35 -0400)

Two 19th century stage illusionists, the aristocratic Rupert Angier and the working-class Alfred Borden, engage in a bitter and deadly feud; the effects are still being felt by their respective families a hundred years later. Working in the gaslight-and-velvet world of Victorian music halls, both men prowl edgily in the background of each other's shadowy life, driven to the extremes by a deadly combination of obsessive secrecy and insatiable curiosity. At the heart of the row is an amazing illusion they both perform during their stage acts. The secret of the magic is simple, and the reader is in on it almost from the start, but to the antagonists the real mystery lies deeper. Both have something more to hide than the mere workings of a trick.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible