The Prestige (GOLLANCZ S.F.) by Christopher…

The Prestige (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (original 1995; edition 2005)

by Christopher Priest

2,6031052,299 (3.78)2 / 216
Member:enigmatyzed
Title:The Prestige (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Authors:Christopher Priest
Info:Gollancz (2005), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 368 pages

The Prestige by Christopher Priest (1995)

English (101)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (106)
I really did rather like this book. I like the writing, and the multiple voices used appealed to me. Some parts dragged (the Angier bit in particular) but overall it was enjoyable enough.

And then it ended.

I'm not even sure if that's WHY I'm taking a star off, or what. I'm not sure about anything because I'm not sure what the fuck even happened. I read it like three times trying to work out what was going on in the last five pages and I got absolutely nothing. Not a sausage. Which I think I kind of like? I have no idea. I'm taking a star off for this weird unsettled feeling I have. Because I can. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Mar 13, 2016 |
I had a vague memory of seeing this movie a long time ago, but I didn't remember any of the specifics. But the cover caught my eye in a bookstore, and the jacket text convinced me to pick it up. Most of you probably know the basic premise: feuding magicians! What could be more fun?

This isn't light, breezy reading, though. It reminds me of one of the science-fiction classics, maybe Frankenstein or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Much of the book is written as magicians' journals dating from the late 1800s to early 1900s, and I thought the old-fashioned language was handled perfectly, strongly evoking the era without being at all impenetrable.

For Nikola Tesla fans, he's quite involved in the storyline. I don't know how much is factual (did he really have a laboratory/lair in the mountains above Colorado Springs?) but it was entertaining, and gave the science-fiction elements a certain air of plausibility. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
This is an amazing and powerful story of rivalry and revenge and science gone wrong. The layers of story, from Andrew Westley in modern times, back to the dueling narratives of illusionists Alfred Borden and Rupert Angier, were rich with intrigue and secrets and horrifying truths. It was all I had expected it to be and so much more.

http://webereading.com/2016/02/book-v-movie-prestige.html ( )
  klpm | Feb 14, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |

Christopher Priestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bracceli, Giovanni BattistaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elizabeth and Simon
It began on a train, heading north through England, although I was soon to discover that the story had really begun more than a hundred years earlier.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312858868, Paperback)

The Washington Post called this "a dizzying magic show of a novel, chock-a-block with all the props of Victorian sensation fiction: seances, multiple narrators, a family curse, doubles, a lost notebook, wraiths, and disembodied spirits; a haunted house, awesome mad-doctor machinery, a mausoleum, and ghoulish horrors; a misunderstood scientist, impossible disappearances; the sins of the fathers visited upon their descendants." Winner of the 1996 World Fantasy Award, The Prestige is even better than that, because unlike many Victorians, Priest writes crisp, unencumbered prose. And anyone who's ever thrilled to the arcing electricity in the "It's alive!" scene in Frankenstein will relish the "special effects" by none other than Nikola Tesla.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:14 -0400)

Two 19th century stage illusionists, the aristocratic Rupert Angier and the working-class Alfred Borden, engage in a bitter and deadly feud; the effects are still being felt by their respective families a hundred years later. Working in the gaslight-and-velvet world of Victorian music halls, both men prowl edgily in the background of each other's shadowy life, driven to the extremes by a deadly combination of obsessive secrecy and insatiable curiosity. At the heart of the row is an amazing illusion they both perform during their stage acts. The secret of the magic is simple, and the reader is in on it almost from the start, but to the antagonists the real mystery lies deeper. Both have something more to hide than the mere workings of a trick.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,135,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible