When Fox is a Thousand by Larissa Lai

When Fox is a Thousand

by Larissa Lai

I found the characters fascinating. I am more familiar with Japanese ideas about foxes and fox magic than Chinese, and enjoyed exploring the differences. The trickiness of dealing with foxes is used to excellent effect, in matters of love and hate and friendship, support and betrayal, and I was never sure which way things were going to turn at any given moment. I treasure this kind of plotline, as I prefer the unpredictable, the surprising, to the same old thing. The gender politics involved were also engaging, and kept me guessing as to how it would all turn out. I look forward to reading more work by this author. ( )
  pat_macewen | Jul 27, 2018 |
Changing shape, culture, country, and almost everything else you can think of, with poetry.
  booksofcolor | Jul 10, 2009 |

A lyrical, magical novel, rich with poetry and folklore plus elements of the fairytale. Larissa Lai interweaves three narrative voices and their attendant cultures: an elusive fox spirit growing toward wisdom and her 1000th birthday, the ninth-century Taoist poet/nun Yu Hsuan-Chi (a real person executed in China for murder), and the oddly named Artemis, a young Asian-American woman living in contemporary Vancouver. With beautiful and enchanting prose, and a sure narrative hand, Lai combines Chinese mythology, the sexual politics of medieval Chinea, and modern-day Vancouver to masterfully revise the myth of the Fox (a figure who can inhibit women's bodies in order to cause mischief).… (more)

Larissa Lai is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,414,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible