Jack and the Beanstalk by Carol Ottolenghi

Jack and the Beanstalk

by Carol Ottolenghi

Jack and the Beanstalk is part traditional literature which does not always have a typical main message. In this book, I would say the main theme is the boy finding his own way to help out his family. Even though it might not be necessarily right, he gets away with it in the end.
One reason I liked this book was the organization of the text. On each page there is a couple of sentences in English telling the story. Then underneath separated by a boarder, is the exact same sentences but in Spanish text. For example on the last page, the top of the text reads, "Jack, his mother, the goose, and the harp lived happily ever after." Then underneath it reads, "Juan, su mama, ele ganso y el arpa vivieron felices para siempre." It allows more people to enjoy this story and the paragraph organization makes it easier to read.
Another reason I liked this book was the variety of illustrations that were used page to page. For example, on one page the majority is text surrounded by a boarder of magic beans. Underneath the text there is just a picture of a large pot and pan. The page next to it though, is a top to bottom picture of the giant covering the whole page. It keeps the story lively because it is not repeating the same technique over and over again. ( )
  JamieLewis | Nov 10, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book. I think the author did a great job maintaining the same classic story. I enjoyed the colorful illustrations. I think it's important to add creating pictures in book like these so that children can visualize what is happening while reading. I also like the plot. I think it's very sweet that the little boy is helping his family in time of need. He puts himself in danger to provide for his ill mother. The overall message of this story is the importance of family. ( )
  eschoe1 | Oct 22, 2014 |
Summary: The story of a boy named Jack who trades a cow for "Magic beans". The beans grow into a giant beanstalk which Jack climbs and at the top Jack finds his adventure and a giant. Jack steals from the giant, the giant gets mad and chases jack back down the bean stalk. Befor the giant can get to Jack, Jack chops down he beanstalk killing the giant and living happily ever after with his spoils.

Personal reaction: Its a great stroy of action adventure and danger. However im not sure this is a story for kids the age that this story is usually read to. Here is a story of a boy who beeaks into somebodies houes robs him and kills him, and lives happily ever after. This is ok because he steals from a giant, but the giand wasnt a bad guy never did nothing to Jack until Jack stole from him. Then the giant gets killed because he is trying to defend his home and recover his property. Not a story I would want read to my younger kids.

Classroom extension: Can be used in a class of older students to show that some traditional literature that can pose a danger to younger readers.
  patrick.brautigan | Sep 16, 2012 |
Summary: This book is about a little boy that him and his mom lived a very poor life. His mom sent him off to sell their cow. On the way he meets an old man who talks him into trading the cow for some beans. These beans are suppose to make Jack a very wealthy person. The beans grow into a huge beanstalk where Jack can climb and at the top he descovers a giant who has gold, a hen that lays gold eggs, and a harp. He steals all three!
Impression: I liked this book but I also think it can teach children a very important lesson about stealing, and disobeying.
Classroom extensions: I think it would be neat to plant some kind of bean and watch it grow
This could also be used to introduce the letter G for gold or the color gold!
  ChasidyBrown | Sep 11, 2012 |
Great American classic tale. I grew up reading Jack and the Beanstalk. This is an exciting classic tale about Jack and his magic beans growing a beanstalk. All children will love this story and using their imagination to think about a giant living way up in the sky. Great book for children. ( )
  lmckeon | Jul 2, 2012 |

Between the pages of the Brighter Child(R) Keepsake Stories books are the classic tales of magic, imagination, and inspiration that will delight children again and again. From the hard-working Red Hen to the foolish Gingerbread Man, these stories will capture children's interest and spark their imagination page after page, inspiring a lifelong love of literature and reading. Each book includes 32 pages of fresh, captivating illustrations, and measures 8" x 8". --In this beloved tale, Jack watches in amazement as his magic beans grow into a beanstalk that reaches beyond the clouds! Children will eagerly continue reading to see whether Jack can sneak past a hungry giant to rescue the golden harp. --This title, retold in English and Spanish, is an excellent skill-builder for reading and foreign language comprehension.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:19 -0400)

After climbing to the top of a huge beanstalk, a boy uses his quick wits to outsmart a giant and gain a fortune for himself and his mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,365,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible