Feathers for Lunch by Lois Ehlert

Feathers for Lunch (edition 1996)

by Lois Ehlert

Member:valhang
Title:Feathers for Lunch
Authors:Lois Ehlert
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (1996), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 36 pages
Collections:Phonics, Children's Literature, Wishlist
Tags:contractions

Feathers for Lunch by Lois Ehlert

A housecat gets into the garden and tries to snag a bird for a snack, but all the ones in the yard hear the jingle of the bell on his collar before he can get any.

This is a short and simple book, perfect for beginning readers to read the main text on their own. The rhyming text works quite nicely for the basic plot. What I really love is how Ehlert depicts the animals realistically enough to be easily recognized and includes captions noting each type of bird and plant seen. A concluding section includes factual information about each kind of bird in the story. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Jul 23, 2018 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Aug 23, 2017 |
Feathers for Lunch is a simple and short children’s picture book that's sure to bring enjoyment to any childs day. The book depicts a cat's want and hunt for birds, but luckily the cat is unable to catch anything but feathers. The book utilizes rhyme and colorful images that make it very enjoyable to read. At the end of every page the last word ends with the previous page’s last word. As for a central theme I would say there really isn't one. There is no lesson to be taken away, and no real message conveyed in the short book. This book is age appropriate for children in Pre-K to first grade, it's a very short and easy to read book. The book has large print and pictures which also make it easy to read. Overall I would rate this book 3 and ½ stars out of 5, If I was below 6 years old though I'm sure I would rate it between 4 and 5 stars.The book is filled with vivid and beautiful images which really add to the simple narrative. I would definitely recommend this book for children just delving into reading, the text size alongside with its length and complexity make it a wonderful first picture book for any child. ( )
  NicholasJohns | Oct 4, 2016 |
44 months - I found this book hard to read as I like to explore each page and the text on it. This book contains a story about the cat (which is often partial sentences on a page and continues on the next) but also a non-fiction element of the bird names and sounds they make. The story becomes confused or disjointed if you stop to talk about the different bird as we did instead of just whipping through the story from start to finish. And if you do just follow the story then you're missing out on a great learning opportunity. I'd recommend reading many times in different ways. We always enjoy this author's illustrations and general style. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
great ( )
  lustig | Mar 14, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152009868, Paperback)

An escaped house cat encounters twelve common birds in the backyard but captures only feathers for lunch. Includes bird guide. “Destined to become an uncontested favorite with many children and adults.”--The Horn Book

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:34 -0400)

An escaped housecat encounters twelve birds in the back yard but fails to catch any of them and has to eat feathers for lunch.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,918,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible