Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale by Mo…

Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (2004)

by Mo Willems

"Knuffle Bunny" is a hilarious realistic fiction that follows a very small child who can't even talk yet. She walks with her daddy all around town to the laundromat. After they'd put the laundry in the wash, they begin to walk home. However, Trixie suddenly asks herself, "Where is Knuffle Bunny?!" She puts up a huge fuss trying to tell her daddy that she lost her beloved bunny, but she can't seem to get the message through to him! When she finally gets home, her mommy realizes what is wrong right away. The three go running back to the laundromat and begin frantically searching for Knuffle Bunny. At last, daddy pulls out all the laundry, and there is "KNUFFLE BUNNY!" And those were the first words Trixie ever said. ( )
  Miss_Annie_O | Feb 24, 2015 |
Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale is a great short story that I enjoyed reading a lot. The main idea of the story was that parents will do whatever for their children, no matter how big or small the task and it could mean the world to their child. I really liked how the story was written, by taking the reader on a simple errand to the Laundromat that takes a turn for the worse to add some minor drama and some good comedic opportunities. I thought it was funny when the child, Trixie started to cry out to her dad but she could not say any real words and in the speech bubble it said things like “aggle flaggle klabble” and “blaggle plabble.” This was entertaining and realistic because when children who cannot say words yet, they just say a bunch of gibberish that sometimes cant be understood even by the father, as seen in the story. My favorite part of this story though was the illustrations. The backgrounds were black and white pictures from real life but the characters were cartoons so they stood out and I just liked how it looked. Mo Willems also does a good job of using his illustrations to show emotions on the characters faces. An example of this that made me laugh because it was well done was when the mother asked where Knuffle Bunny was the dad had a face of shock and disbelief and Trixie’s faced looked like she was thinking I told you so. I found this book to be very entertaining and I would read more books from the series. ( )
  MManzo2 | Feb 24, 2015 |
Knuffle Bunny is a stuffed animal that belongs to a toddler. Everywhere the toddler goes it goes. One day on a trip with her father to the laundromat, Knuffle Bunny gets misplaced. On the way home the toddler realizes Knuffle Bunny is gone. Not able to communicate, she screams and fusses all the way home. The mother immediately sees Knuffle Bunny is missing and they run back to laundromat to find Knuffle Bunny in the washer. At the end of the story the overjoyed toddler says her first words.

I love the unique approach of using actual photo backgrounds and cartoon cut outs to tell the story. The plot is also very realistic and I think everyone can relate to losing something important and being happy to have found it.

1. I would have my class create their own Knuffle Bunny pictures. Using photos printed from a magazine, newspaper, or the internet and have them draw pictures to add to it.
2. I would also use this as a writing lesson and have them write about a time they lost something and how they went about finding it again. ( )
  JasRochelle | Feb 11, 2015 |
Summary:
Knuffle Bunny is a stuffed animal who's owner, Trixie, is very attached to her. Trixie goes on an errand to the laundromat with her dad and brings Knuffle Bunny along. She had so much fun helping with the laundry, she forgot her precious Knuffle Bunny when she left and didn't realize it until they were on the walk home. Trixie is too young to speak so her dad doesn't understand why she suddenly turns unhappy on the way home. When they get there and her mom realizes Kunffle Bunny is missing, the three of them set out to find her, making Trixie one happy little girl.

Personal Reaction:
I can relate to little miss Trixie! I had a stuffed teddy bear when I was a little girl, and if my teddy came up lost or missing, it was the end of the world for me until I got him back! I love this story and I think it's one every child can relate to. It may not be a stuffed animal, but every kid has a favorite toy!

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. We could have a special day where all the kids get to bring their favorite stuffed animal (or toy) and tell us about it.
2. The pictures in this book are black and white, and the characters are cartoony and colorful. It really brings out the story the pictures in the book tell. We could use black and white photos, and let each child color or paint their stuffed animal or favorite toy and make our own classroom story book.
  Brandy9706 | Feb 9, 2015 |
Summary: In this book, a little girl named Trixie and father go on an adventure to a laundry mat. While there, Trixie helps her dad with the laundry and plays with her stuffed animal, Knuffle Bunny. However, on the way home, Trixie realizes she lost her stuffed animal. She starts throwing a fit and her father does not understand why since Trixie has not learned how to talk. The whole way, Trixie is making a scene and as soon as she gets home, her mom asks where Knuffle Bunny is. Trixie, her father, and her mother run back to the laundry mat to search for it. Luckily, they were able to find it at the end and Trixie was reunited with Knuffle Bunny.

Review: I thought this book was great and really touched on how important comfort objects are to young children. Therefore, I think the main message of this book is not worry if you loose something because eventually it will turn up. When Trixie lost Knuffle Bunny, she was very concerned and threw a fit. However, at the end of the book, Trixie was reunited with what was lost. This can be reassuring to young children who also have comfort objects because they can relate back to their own experiences. Young kids will be able to realize that everything is misplaced now and again, but in the end, everything works out. ( )
  jbaile14 | Dec 9, 2014 |
This book is dedicated to the real Trixie and her mommy.
Special thanks to Anne and Alessandra;
Noah, Megan, and Edward;
the 358 6th Avenue Laundromat;
and my neighbors in Park Slope, Brooklyn.
Not so long ago, before she could even speak words, Trixie went on an errand with her Daddy...

Trixie, Daddy, and Knuffle Bunny take a trip to the neighborhood Laundromat. But the exciting adventure takes a dramatic turn when Trixie realizes somebunny was left behind… Using a combination of muted black-and-white photographs and expressive illustrations, this stunning book tells a brilliantly true-to-life tale about what happens when Daddy's in charge and things go terribly, hilariously wrong.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:29 -0400)

After Trixie and daddy leave the laundromat, something very important turns up missing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,663,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible