Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale by Mo…

Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (2004)

by Mo Willems

2,324None2,714 (4.36)21

This is a great, funny story of a little girl Trixie, her bunny, and a trip with her dad. What started out as a great trip through town to the laundry mat, ended up a horrible case of accident and miscommunication. Because of Trixie's age (she can't speak yet) things got a little out of control for her dad, but as usual mom saves the day knowing exactly that is wrong with Trixie.

A race back to the laundry mat and a frantic search ensued to find Knuffle, Trixie's beloved stuffed bunny. They found Knuffle, soaking wet, but safe and sound, and back in the arms of Trixie.

The illustrations were a great combination of black and white background, and fun cartoon characters. The illustrator did a great job with depicting facial expressions and body language through the illustrations. "Knuffle Bunny" is a great mix of both story and illustration for a read aloud with Kindergarten/First grade.
  Phil9 | Mar 17, 2014 |
This was a good picture book about losing a special toy and luckily being able to find it in the end. The illustrations throughout the book were really interesting and something that I have not seem before. The were real background photos but the people and characters in the story were illustrated into the picture and I thought that was really interesting. The text in the story were not just simply telling a story in one tone, you could tell that there was emotion in some scenes. For example, instead of just saying that the girl told her dad she was missing her bunny, there were speech bubbles that said "Blaggle plabble!, Wumby Flappy?! Snurp." as a way of her to try and tell her dad that he bunny was missing. I thought this was a great way to tell the story and that the reader no matter there age would be having fun and engaged while reading it. This book focused on the attachment to a special toy, in this case a toy bunny, which many children can relate with so it was a great book to read to children. ( )
  ramber1 | Mar 6, 2014 |
Knuffle Bunny is a story about a small child that loses her favorite bunny. She runs errands with her father, when the bunny gets put in the washer at the laundromat. The little girl can't talk yet and begins crying because she doesn't have her bunny. Her father doesn't know why she is crying. At home, the mother asks where the bunny is but the father says he doesn't know. Eventually, after tracing back through the town, the little girl's bunny is found at the laundromat.

This is a great story to share with kids about being cautious where they leave their belongings. This would be another good book to use as a classroom activity for a "show-and-tell" of some sort. I think many children would be able to relate to the young girl in the book and her favorite bunny. This would be a book I would use for younger students, probably second grade and under. ( )
  breksarah | Feb 26, 2014 |
Knuffle Bunny is a Cautionary Tale about a small child, Trixie, that loses her favorite bunny. She leaves the house with her father to run errands, they stop at the laundromat to wash some laundry. Trixie's bunny get put in the washer and left there after they leave. Trixie can't talk yet so she starts crying and pointing back toward the laundromat. Her father doesn't know what she is crying about. When they return home mom asks where the bunny is and father doesn't know. So the family runs back through the town to look for the bunny they find it at the laundromat.

Personal Reaction: I remember as a small child having a doll that I took everywhere I went. On one particular vacation I lost my doll, my parents went back to the restaurant to look for it, but it was already gone. This book brought back many childhood memories.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1 In the classroom I would share the book with the children. Then I would have the children bring their favorite stuffed animal on show-n-tell day. They could each explain why it is so important to them.
2. Since my children are smaller and can't write yet I would have them draw a picture of how they would feel if they lost their favorite animal.
  mamacita9 | Feb 17, 2014 |
Summary:
Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale is a short story about a young girl named Trixie who joins her dad on an errand to the laundromat and decides to bring her favorite stuffed animal, a rabbit named Knuffle Bunny, along for the trip. At the time of this trip, Trixie is not old enough to speak which leads into a comical, yet frustrating and confusing problem for both Trixie and her dad.

Personal Reaction:
Reading this story gave me a flashback to my childhood. Like the main character, Trixie, I too had a stuffed animal that I carried with me everywhere when I was a child. But unfortunately I left my stuffed animal in a movie theater and my parents were unable to find it. Nevertheless, I greatly enjoyed reading this book due to my similar experience years ago.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. In my classroom, I would ask my students to bring in their favorite stuffed animal/toy and do a Show and Tell after reading the story to the children.
2. Since Trixie’s dad was unable to understand her, I could have the students write dialogues for the characters. This will help the students express themselves in writing and communication.
  nwoodley | Feb 12, 2014 |
This book is dedicated to the real Trixie and her mommy.
Special thanks to Anne and Alessandra;
Noah, Megan, and Edward;
the 358 6th Avenue Laundromat;
and my neighbors in Park Slope, Brooklyn.
Not so long ago, before she could even speak words, Trixie went on an errand with her Daddy...

Trixie, Daddy, and Knuffle Bunny take a trip to the neighborhood Laundromat. But the exciting adventure takes a dramatic turn when Trixie realizes somebunny was left behind… Using a combination of muted black-and-white photographs and expressive illustrations, this stunning book tells a brilliantly true-to-life tale about what happens when Daddy's in charge and things go terribly, hilariously wrong.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:29 -0400)

After Trixie and daddy leave the laundromat, something very important turns up missing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,472,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible