The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant

The Relatives Came (1985)

by Cynthia Rylant

Other authors: Stephen Gammel (Illustrator)

Family members visit from Virginia to stay for a few weeks. The family felt crowded with all family members staying under the same roof. While on their visit thy all pitched in to help around the house before leaving. On their way back home it repeats their journey back to Virginia as it did in the beginning. ( )
  RosaPerez | Sep 19, 2018 |
Even with a small family, I can understand the struggles of this book. When family comes to visit there are a lot of hugs and kisses! You love seeing them, and you'll miss them when they leave, but you can not wait to have your bed back or your house back to the way it was. All people can relate to this. The illustrator used funny pictures to convey even more what the author was trying to say. Overall, this story was great and I would definitely read it to my class. ( )
  arizzo | Aug 30, 2018 |
"the Relatives Come" is such an accurate depiction of when family does come to visit that all children could relate. I was nodding my head in agreement with a lot of the pages in the book. Especially the beginning with too many hugs and 8 hugs just to get to the kitchen. It was just a feel good story and one anyone can relate to. I would keep this available inside my classroom and recommend students to read it. I think it's worth getting some ARP points on for a child if nothing being that it can be related to so easily! ( )
  Ashley.Miller | Aug 30, 2018 |
Great book for text connection. Children are able to relate their own experiences to the story. Also a great book for teachers to share their own connections to the text by sharing stories of their family or stories about traveling. ( )
  hpresthus | Jun 11, 2018 |
This story tells of a family who have their relatives over each summer and all their adventures they have. They also discuss who their sad when the visit is over but are relieved when they realize they will see them again next year. This is good for text connections because many students can relate to having to share their home with family and/or saying goodbye to people they care about. I would use this book for 1st or 2nd grade.
  JenelleFyfe | Jun 9, 2018 |
Cynthia Rilant has some incredible books that I get nostalgic for a time in my childhood. The time when all my relatives came to celebrate a holiday, it was fun. Mostly.
We did not have cool summer reunions as the family does in this book. What I did like was celebrating the holidays with a huge, scrumptious meal. The stories were funny or interesting. I learned that my grandfather came from Russia and had to fight in the Japanese- Russian war. He was nine years old. He did not like to discuss this period of time in his life, but that meant I could ask other relatives to see if he told them anything about this time.
I learned that Big Mama, my great grandmother, crashed into the window of a car dealership. When the policeman came, she said
" Young man I was here in this town before you were born. This is a two way street. You better not write me a ticket." My uncle had to secretly pay the ticket without Big Mama's knowledge.
I loved the pictures of the relatives eating together, playing music together, and sleeping together. I always feel nostalgic, because so many of my relatives are deceased now. I remember the good times when we were together.
There were plenty of times when heated discussions occurred. When one relative was not speaking to another relative, but I refuse to remember the unhappy times.
added by clauber1 | editnone, Clara Lauber

Cynthia Rylantprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gammel, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
It was in the summer of the year when the relatives came.

family reunion during the summer

In a rainbow-colored station wagon that smelled like a real car, the relatives came. When they arrived, they hugged and hugged from the kitchen to the front room. All summer they tended the garden and ate up all the strawberries and melons. They plucked banjos and strummed guitars.

When they finally had to leave, they were sad, but not for long. They all knew they would be together next summer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:49 -0400)

The relatives come to visit from Virginia and everyone has a wonderful time.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,959,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible