The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant

The Relatives Came (1985)

by Cynthia Rylant

Other authors: Stephen Gammel (Illustrator)

This humorous, sweet story is about the anticipation and arrival of a child's relatives coming to visit for the summer. Their summer is filled with hugs, laughter, eating, gardening, fixing broken things, and playing music. Even though the visit is crowded, loud, and busy, it is a time also filled with fun and love. Finally it is time for the relatives to travel back to Virginia, the family crawl back into their now silent, empty beds and dreamed about the next summer's visit. ( )
  Jordyn.DeGuiseppi | Feb 24, 2019 |
The Relatives Came is a sweet story about the anticipation and arrival of a child’s relatives during the summer. During the visit, they hug, laugh, eat, help in the garden, fix broken things, and play music. Even though there are a lot of people under one roof, it is a time of fun and love. Finally, it is time for the relatives to travel back to Virginia. The book ends by saying, “But they thought about us, too. Missing them. And they missed us. And when they were finally home in Virginia, they crawled into their silent, soft beds and dreamed about the next summer.” ( )
  carrieludwig | Feb 18, 2019 |
This book is about a family whose family came for a summer trip from Virginia. Once they were there the relatives hugged, ate, slept and enjoyed time with each other. ( )
  askauge | Feb 3, 2019 |
This is a funny book about relatives that come to visit during summer vacation. It describes them having lots of fun eating, singing, dancing, and connecting. It stresses the importance of spending time with family and building memories. ( )
  bre201 | Feb 2, 2019 |
When the Relatives Came is a funny book about crazy relatives that come to visit in the summer. During their visit they have lots of fun eating, singing, dancing and bonding. Just as everyone is getting use to be together it is time for their vacation to end. ( )
  cherzog | Jan 17, 2019 |
Cynthia Rilant has some incredible books that I get nostalgic for a time in my childhood. The time when all my relatives came to celebrate a holiday, it was fun. Mostly.
We did not have cool summer reunions as the family does in this book. What I did like was celebrating the holidays with a huge, scrumptious meal. The stories were funny or interesting. I learned that my grandfather came from Russia and had to fight in the Japanese- Russian war. He was nine years old. He did not like to discuss this period of time in his life, but that meant I could ask other relatives to see if he told them anything about this time.
I learned that Big Mama, my great grandmother, crashed into the window of a car dealership. When the policeman came, she said
" Young man I was here in this town before you were born. This is a two way street. You better not write me a ticket." My uncle had to secretly pay the ticket without Big Mama's knowledge.
I loved the pictures of the relatives eating together, playing music together, and sleeping together. I always feel nostalgic, because so many of my relatives are deceased now. I remember the good times when we were together.
There were plenty of times when heated discussions occurred. When one relative was not speaking to another relative, but I refuse to remember the unhappy times.
added by clauber1 | editnone, Clara Lauber

Cynthia Rylantprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gammel, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
It was in the summer of the year when the relatives came.

family reunion during the summer

In a rainbow-colored station wagon that smelled like a real car, the relatives came. When they arrived, they hugged and hugged from the kitchen to the front room. All summer they tended the garden and ate up all the strawberries and melons. They plucked banjos and strummed guitars.

When they finally had to leave, they were sad, but not for long. They all knew they would be together next summer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:49 -0400)

The relatives come to visit from Virginia and everyone has a wonderful time.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,134,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible