Snowed by Maria Alexander

English (11)  German (1)  All (12)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book. It had a few things thrown in that it could have done without, but all in all it's a great combination of loveable characters, a very unique twist to a certain "snowy" holiday. If you love mystery, a bit of romance and fantasy. I'd definitely recommend. A++ ( )
  Misha.Bunny | Jun 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was a lot different than I originally thought it would be, but in a good and unexpected way. I thought it was going to be a thriller/mystery murder novel, but it turned out to be so much more. It also was surprisingly themed for the holidays, which was a twist I never would have seen coming.
The main character, Charity, was a biracial girl who wasn't very popular at her new school, she loves math and science, especially building robots. She has a very select few friends and it seems like the rest of the school either ignores her or bullies her. One day she comes home and her mother has brought home a client that will now be staying with them. This new guest is a boy around Charity's age, with a strange accent, and (of course) very attractive. Charity finds him extremely strange, but she's resigned to dealing with him for however long necessary. charity and This guest, Aiden, hit it off and a romance starts between the two. However, CHarity's brother and Aiden butt heads, which ends in an altercation that leads Charity's brother in jail.
Aiden arrives in this town and the same day he starts school with charity, a brutal murder is committed at the end of that school day, and this boy that was murdered, just so happens to be one of CHarity's main bully's. Charity finds the body and is haunted by it, but she also took a picture of the body before running to find help. This picture plays a huge key role in discovering the killer later on in the book.
There is a big portion of the book where charity and her friends are looking for the killer/monster who killed the boy, and they eventually do succeed, barely. thing take a turn for the very weird at this point, going from a thriller murder book, to a fantasy thriller. The killer wasn't actually a real person, but some sort of... demon or other evil creature. It also happens to be one of Aiden's many siblings. Turns out, Aiden isn't some weird runaway trying to escape from his mob boss father, but he's the only (mostly) human son of Krampus, or more commonly known as: Santa Claus. And santa isn't so nice and is coming for blood, Aiden's blood and anyone who stands in his way.
It's a weird twist, but it's also a fairly compelling read. Overall, I'd probably recommend taking it out from the library or borrowing it for a little something different, but I don't necessarily think I would spend the money to buy my own copy. ( )
  jadorelecafe | Jan 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Glad I had saved 'Snowed' for this time of the year - although I had forgotten what it was really about and turned out to be more perfect than I thought. A tale in which Maria Alexander lifts a corner of the veil on Sinterklaas, Krampus & Santa.

Obstacle number one COULD HAVE BEEN the romance part, yet it did not bother me at all (people who know me might not believe it haha)! Stereotyping the characters was something which made me stumble more. First I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt... yet everything seemed to be carefully chosen. Too careful.

Was it really necessary to stress on it that Charity and her brother biracial? The blurb says it's part of why she's bullied at school. Though I didn't see any of that. More likely cos she's a nerd. Her views are different. Skin color doesn't seem to matter here. Yet again, when her brother is sent to juvie, it is mentioned again. Whyyyyy???

It didn't stop there. I can sum up a list of situations where I felt stereotyping was ruining the moment. Look at me: I have colored hair and I love math... yet I am not Asian and I do not consider myself an artist.

I truly want to love this story. It's fabulous! But sadly those stereotypes really spoiled the fun for me... ( )
  NinaCaramelita | Dec 27, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I’ll admit, I chose this book based on the cover. Well, I received a free review copy from LibraryThing, but my request was because of the cover art. It is eery and wonderful.

I am not a huge fantasy fan, but I could not put this book down. Charity, the main character, was someone I could relate to, even though I am not a STEM person or a skeptical. I was bullied for being different back in high school. I am unfamiliar with Krampus, having only just learned about him last year thanks to American Dad, and I thought the way Maria Alexander retold his story, and Santa’s, was quite interesting. The ending was a disappointment. I’m all for cliff-hangers, but I think I would have preferred the author to stop at the end of the final chapter and not added an epilogue. There is a LOT of cussing, so if you’re put off by swearing, this might be hard to read. I’m not typically a fan of swearing, but it does make the characters more believable. ( )
1 vote jurai2 | Dec 14, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sixteen-year-old Charity Jones is a genius. She is also the victim of bullies for her smarts, her weight, her biracial heritage, and her skepticism which doesn’t play well in this small Conservative Christian town and school. After a particularly rough day, she is furious to discover that her liberal parents have brought a young seemingly homeless boy, Aiden, to move in with them. However, he quickly wins her trust and then her heart.

Then she learns who his father is and why he has run away. And why they are all now in danger from someone just about everyone loves but who is not who they think he is. Aiden is his heir and he will destroy anyone who gets in his way or, perhaps, just for fun. Fortunately, he can only leave his home on one day of the year; unfortunately he has lots of minions willing to do the dirty work for him. And if they fail, well, that one day is fast approaching. Ho ho ho no!

When I first saw Snowed by author Maria Alexander on Netgalley, I wasn’t interested. The cover didn’t grab me, I had never heard of the publisher Raw Dog Screaming Press (although, if this is typical of their offerings, I’ll be looking to get more from them in the future), and I’m not really much of a horror fan. Still, it was the time of year when I’m looking for new and original Christmas tales to entertain me through the season and I decided what the heck, it’s short so I’ll give it a try.

I started it at bedtime figuring if nothing else, it might put me to sleep. – Big mistake. All night, it was just one more chapter, one more page, one more paragraph. I finished it just as the sun was coming up. Turns out, Snowed is one heck of a page-turner with some great YA characters you will definitely want to root for or against and one very very evil villain. There’s plenty of action, a bit of romance, teenaged angst, and even some humour to break up the tension.

So if you’ve already had it up to here with Christmas muzak at the mall, schmaltzy Christmas tv shows, just all around Christmas cheer, maybe what you need is some Christmas horror. On the downside, after immersing yourself in the story, the cliffhanger ending may seem like one giant humbug (but don’t do anything to your ipad to get yourself on the naughty list because there is a sequel coming). Be warned, however, after reading Snowed, you may never look at Christmas or good ol’ Saint Nick the same way again.

Thanks to Netgalley and Raw Dog Screaming Press for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review ( )
1 vote lostinalibrary | Dec 11, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Maria Alexander's book Snowed is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,225,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible