Charity Jones is a 16-year-old engineering genius who's much-bullied for being biracial and a skeptic at her conservative school in Oak County, California. After a particularly painful day, Charity's social worker mother brings home a teen runaway named Aidan to foster for the holidays. Matched in every way, Charity and Aidan begin to fall secretly in love. But he's not the only new arrival. Charity soon finds the brutally slain corpse of her worst bully and she gets hard, haunting evidence that the killer is stalking Oak County. She and her Skeptics Club investigate the death, fidning at every turn the mystery only grows darker and more deadly. But one thing's for certain: there's a bloody battle coming this holiday season that will change their lives-- and human history-- forever. Will they be ready? -- Back cover.… (more)

English (13)  German (1)  All languages (14)
I received an ARC of this novel. I have to say the cover art is beautiful and intriguing. It draws you in. However what the cover art does inspire differs dramatically from the novel itself.

I wanted to like this book. However the character's themselves are completely unlikeable. The main character is a complete self centered, egotistical, narcissist. I couldn't stand her at all. The book strongly stereotypes different kinds of people. It is extremely biased. To the point it is actually offensive.

It wasn't well thought out or delivered. It was jumbled together. The story was so outlandish at times. Like the author forgot to set the scene. I just can't with this book.

There are just too many things wrong with it. ( )
  LeahGreenClark | Oct 28, 2018 |
Sixteen-year-old Charity Jones is bullied for being bi-racial and a skeptic. When her mother brings home a teen runaway, and her worst enemy becomes brutally slain, her life doesn’t begin to change as much as a battle wages for her fight.
It is very easy to understand why Alexander’s YA novel is nominated for so many awards. She has the ability to carry both the YA market and an adult audience along on a supernatural fantasy. Her surprise ending comes as a mixed surprise, yet she’s satisficed readers and set herself up nicely to write a sequel. -Review can be found at Le Coeur de l'Artiste http://www.djadamson.com/le-coeur-de-lartiste/archives/03-2017
  DJadamson | Jan 4, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book. It had a few things thrown in that it could have done without, but all in all it's a great combination of loveable characters, a very unique twist to a certain "snowy" holiday. If you love mystery, a bit of romance and fantasy. I'd definitely recommend. A++ ( )
  Misha.Bunny | Jun 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was a lot different than I originally thought it would be, but in a good and unexpected way. I thought it was going to be a thriller/mystery murder novel, but it turned out to be so much more. It also was surprisingly themed for the holidays, which was a twist I never would have seen coming.
The main character, Charity, was a biracial girl who wasn't very popular at her new school, she loves math and science, especially building robots. She has a very select few friends and it seems like the rest of the school either ignores her or bullies her. One day she comes home and her mother has brought home a client that will now be staying with them. This new guest is a boy around Charity's age, with a strange accent, and (of course) very attractive. Charity finds him extremely strange, but she's resigned to dealing with him for however long necessary. charity and This guest, Aiden, hit it off and a romance starts between the two. However, CHarity's brother and Aiden butt heads, which ends in an altercation that leads Charity's brother in jail.
Aiden arrives in this town and the same day he starts school with charity, a brutal murder is committed at the end of that school day, and this boy that was murdered, just so happens to be one of CHarity's main bully's. Charity finds the body and is haunted by it, but she also took a picture of the body before running to find help. This picture plays a huge key role in discovering the killer later on in the book.
There is a big portion of the book where charity and her friends are looking for the killer/monster who killed the boy, and they eventually do succeed, barely. thing take a turn for the very weird at this point, going from a thriller murder book, to a fantasy thriller. The killer wasn't actually a real person, but some sort of... demon or other evil creature. It also happens to be one of Aiden's many siblings. Turns out, Aiden isn't some weird runaway trying to escape from his mob boss father, but he's the only (mostly) human son of Krampus, or more commonly known as: Santa Claus. And santa isn't so nice and is coming for blood, Aiden's blood and anyone who stands in his way.
It's a weird twist, but it's also a fairly compelling read. Overall, I'd probably recommend taking it out from the library or borrowing it for a little something different, but I don't necessarily think I would spend the money to buy my own copy. ( )
  jadorelecafe | Jan 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Glad I had saved 'Snowed' for this time of the year - although I had forgotten what it was really about and turned out to be more perfect than I thought. A tale in which Maria Alexander lifts a corner of the veil on Sinterklaas, Krampus & Santa.

Obstacle number one COULD HAVE BEEN the romance part, yet it did not bother me at all (people who know me might not believe it haha)! Stereotyping the characters was something which made me stumble more. First I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt... yet everything seemed to be carefully chosen. Too careful.

Was it really necessary to stress on it that Charity and her brother biracial? The blurb says it's part of why she's bullied at school. Though I didn't see any of that. More likely cos she's a nerd. Her views are different. Skin color doesn't seem to matter here. Yet again, when her brother is sent to juvie, it is mentioned again. Whyyyyy???

It didn't stop there. I can sum up a list of situations where I felt stereotyping was ruining the moment. Look at me: I have colored hair and I love math... yet I am not Asian and I do not consider myself an artist.

I truly want to love this story. It's fabulous! But sadly those stereotypes really spoiled the fun for me... ( )
  NinaCaramelita | Dec 27, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Maria Alexander's book Snowed was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,900,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible