Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine: Debut…

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine: Debut Sunday Times Bestseller and… (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Gail Honeyman (Author)

Member:paulmorriss
Title:Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine: Debut Sunday Times Bestseller and Costa First Novel Book Award winner 2017
Authors:Gail Honeyman (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2017), Edition: ePub edition, 383 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:ebook

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine: A Novel by Gail Honeyman (2017)

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both novels deal with serious issues with a light, humorous touch, which does not detract from the painfulness of the characters' situation.
    The Misremembered Man by Christina Mckenna (aliklein)
    Goodbye, Vitamin: A Novel by Rachel Khong (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Similar in tone, in heart and in compassion for the characters.

English (182)  Italian (1)  Latvian (1)  All languages (184)
Een bijzonder boek over een jonge vrouw die door haar moeder geestelijk en lichamelijk is mishandeld. Bij een brand gaan haar zusje en haar moeder dood. Gedurende bijna het hele boek lijkt het alsof de moeder nog in leven is. Eleanor weet zich langzamerhand, met steun van haar vriend Raymond, aan haar verleden te ontworstelen. Ontroerend en aangrijpend, vooral door de beschrijving van de eenzaamheid van Eleanor. ( )
  elsmvst | Feb 18, 2019 |
Written well but it is a lot of the same thing 3/4 of the book. ( )
  loracarlson | Feb 18, 2019 |
Eleanor has a terrible past which has tied her up inside herself. She gradually comes out of her shell to join the world with the aid of a fellow employee and medical emergency in the street. ( )
  gbelik | Feb 9, 2019 |
Eleanor Oliphant is a misfit working as a bookkeeper in an office; she seemingly has no family, has no social skills, and is severely scarred on one side of her face. Her weekends are spent watching dull television and drinking vodka. Her life changes, however, when she and a co-worker come across an elderly man who is having a heart attack on the sidewalk. Raymond works in the IT department of the business, is a poor dresser, a constant smoker, and disheveled--all the things that Eleanor dislikes.

Their friendship grows as they both become involved with the elderly man and his family. Slowly, the reader is given hints as to Eleanor's past life which must have been so horrendous that she is unable to speak about it. At least once a week she has what seems to be conversations with her mother who seems to despise her.

The transformation of Eleanor from her antisocial state is basically the subject of the book. There are several incidents which I found hard to believe and the relationship with Raymond seems too easy at times. Not a bad book; not a totally gripping one either. ( )
  maryreinert | Feb 8, 2019 |
PEARL RULED @ 22%

Real Rating: 1.5* of five

This read was down there with [Gone Girl] in my Hall of Shame. I was squicked out from the get-go by the premise, but got the book for a Goodreads group read...I should just know better than to violate my gut's response.

The prose is honeyed (see what I did there, Author Honeyman?) and the words are well-meaning...I don't think this book was perpetrated, like I felt Gone Girl to be...but the gestalt was as anger-inducing to me as Punk'd was. This is funny? To whom, and why? This is insensitive and slightly disrespectful of someone who is already an outsider, someone for whom the world provided little to no padding against the rough edges life naturally has. And watching the bruises form is not in the smallest degree an entertainment in which I wish to participate. ( )
  richardderus | Feb 1, 2019 |
From pop-star crushes to meals for one, the life of an outsider is vividly captured in this joyful debut, discovered through a writing competition and sold for huge sums worldwide...And what a joy it is. The central character of Eleanor feels instantly and insistently real...This is a narrative full of quiet warmth and deep and unspoken sadness. It makes you want to throw a party and invite everyone you know and give them a hug, even that person at work everyone thinks is a bit weird.

For my family
When people ask me what I do - taxi drivers, hairdressers - I tell them I work in an office.
Sport is a mystery to me. In primary school, sports day was the one day of the year when the less academically gifted students could triumph, winning prizes for jumping fastest in a sack, or running from point A to point B more quickly than their classmates. How they loved to wear those badges on their blazers the next day, as if a silver in the egg and spoon race was some sort of compensation for not understanding how to use an apostrophe.
I have always enjoyed reading, but I've never been sure how to select appropriate material. There are so many books in the world--how do you tell them all apart? How do you know which one will match your tastes and interests? That's why I just pick the first book I see. There's no point trying to choose. The covers are of very little help, because they always say only good things, and I've found out to my cost that they're rarely accurate. "Exhilarating" "Dazzling" "Hilarious." No.
She was shiny too, her skin, her hair, her shoes, her teeth. I hadn't even realized before; I am matte, dull, scuffed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0735220689, Hardcover)

"Eleanor Oliphant is a truly original literary creation: funny, touching, and unpredictable. Her journey out of dark shadows is absolutely gripping." --Jojo Moyes, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Me Before You

"Deft, compassionate and deeply moving--Honeyman's debut will have you rooting for Eleanor with every turning page." --Paula McClain, New York Times bestselling author of The Paris Wife and Circling the Sun

No one’s ever told Eleanor that life should be better than fine.

Meet Eleanor Oliphant: She struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she’s thinking. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life of avoiding social interactions, where weekends are punctuated by frozen pizza, vodka, and phone chats with Mummy.

But everything changes when Eleanor meets Raymond, the bumbling and deeply unhygienic IT guy from her office. When she and Raymond together save Sammy, an elderly gentleman who has fallen on the sidewalk, the three become the kinds of friends who rescue one another from the lives of isolation they have each been living. And it is Raymond’s big heart that will ultimately help Eleanor find the way to repair her own profoundly damaged one.

Smart, warm, uplifting, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine is the story of an out-of-the-ordinary heroine whose deadpan weirdness and unconscious wit make for an irresistible journey as she realizes. . .

The only way to survive is to open your heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 26 Jan 2017 14:40:02 -0500)

"Smart, warm, uplifting, the story of an out-of-the-ordinary heroine whose deadpan weirdness and unconscious wit make for an irresistible journey as she realizes the only way to survive is to open her heart. Meet Eleanor Oliphant: she struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she's thinking. That, combined with her unusual appearance (scarred cheek, tendency to wear the same clothes year in, year out), means that Eleanor has become a creature of habit (to say the least) and a bit of a loner. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life of avoiding social interactions, where weekends are punctuated by frozen pizza, vodka, and phone chats with Mummy. But everything changes when Eleanor meets Raymond, the bumbling and deeply unhygienic IT guy from her office. When she and Raymond together save Sammy, an elderly gentleman who has fallen on the sidewalk, the three become the kind of friends who rescue each other from the lives of isolation they have each been living. And it is Raymond's big heart that will ultimately help Eleanor find the way to repair her own profoundly damaged one"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,532,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible