Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine: A Novel…

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine: A Novel (original 2017; edition 2018)

by Gail Honeyman (Author)

2,4991963,650 (4.17)211
Member:MissYvonnee
Title:Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine: A Novel
Authors:Gail Honeyman (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2018), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine: A Novel by Gail Honeyman (2017)

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both novels deal with serious issues with a light, humorous touch, which does not detract from the painfulness of the characters' situation.
    The Seven Rules of Elvira Carr: A Novel by Frances Maynard (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Goodbye, Vitamin: A Novel by Rachel Khong (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Similar in tone, in heart and in compassion for the characters.
    The Misremembered Man by Christina Mckenna (aliklein)

English (192)  Italian (1)  Latvian (1)  All languages (194)
Very good book, starts slowly and gets better and better. Very very well narrated by Cathleen McCarron in my version. Recommended for anyone who loves a psychological thriller. ( )
  jvgravy | Mar 19, 2019 |
I don't want to be overly harsh but this was a dreadful load of old tripe. Emotionally manipulative and unoriginal Eleanor Oliphant is such an obvious authorial construct that the novel is doomed from the start. She is weighed down with a whole bunch of movie cliches - selective amnesia, forgotten sibling, imaginary correspondent - and a glaringly undiagnosed case of movie autism. She is also a bender-prone, bottle-a-day vodkaholic who just decides to stop. Nothing about her makes sense.

We are supposed to believe that having been sequestered from the world until the age of 10 followed by years in foster care, school, university and nine years working for a graphic design firm, she has mastered computers, Facebook, Twitter and the internet, but never in her life come across the concept of Jeremy Clarkson or SpongeBob SquarePants... because it's funnier that way. Nothing holds together. There is no consistency or integrity to Eleanor's condition. She's not a person, just a device to tell a story about loneliness.

Because that's all this book really is. It's a story about loneliness. Certainly a worthy subject for a 21st century novel, but there has to be a better way to write it than this cack-handed, curious incident knock-off, puddle of slush. ( )
1 vote asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
An excellent telling of the early life of an abused child and what happened after her care was taken over by social services. This is told throughout the book by Eleanor herself as she struggles to become a "normal" person and seek human company after always relying only upon herself. Eleanor is very bright and very opinionated. ( )
  baughga | Mar 5, 2019 |
This is one of those books that I classify as incredibly enjoyable while reading, but doesn't stand up to deeper critical analysis for me. I felt like Eleanor's lack of social skills was played up a little too much and to a slightly unrealistic level. I recognize that much of that could be attributed to mental health. But, really - how does she go through multiple foster families and a group home and never learn about the YMCA song? Or any number of other pop culture references that she was apparently clueless to?

I figured out pretty early on that there was a lot going on with Eleanor's back story that we didn't know and it started to drive me NUTS that no one noticed when she referred to herself in plural when she talked about her childhood. I didn't see the Mummy being dead thing coming, and I didn't really love that they threw that in there. I actually think the story would have been more powerful if there was a living Mummy that was still influencing her in that way that she stood up to. And I agree with the rest of you; it was so abrupt and seemed like it required her no time at all to process. Also, I felt like the conversations with Mummy were a thing that the author established, happening every week, but besides passing mentions, didn't actually write them out. There were a few times when I thought "oooh... how is Mummy going to react to this?" But we didn't get to know.

Also, she and Raymond were DEFINITELY headed for romance at the end, but I actually wish they weren't - again, I feel like their relationship would be more powerful if they remained friends. Their friendship seemed so solid and true I don't want to think about it being destroyed by a move toward romance.

I don't know. I felt like the book was pretty good until the end and then it was just all too pat.

Also, WHERE WERE THE MANDATORY REPORTERS IN THIS KID'S LIFE? Like, that teacher that noticed the bruises? Why didn't she call children's services?!? Why didn't the neighbours do something?!? That bit made me mad. But I know that bit also happens so so so often in today's society. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
This is a tough one to review. On one hand, I'm getting a little tired of all the awkward-cum-heroic main characters that seem to be popular now. On the other hand, that's probably just my bias and informed by the kind of work I do, so that opinion is likely an outlier.

Overall, I'd say this book was well-written, and the writing was fairly tight when it would've been easy to stretch it out. The requisite twists were present and the characters were fairly well-drawn and nicely detailed. Something about this left me wanting, though, and I can't quite put my finger on it. It was worth the read, but probably not a book or author I'll revisit. ( )
  mediumofballpoint | Mar 4, 2019 |
From pop-star crushes to meals for one, the life of an outsider is vividly captured in this joyful debut, discovered through a writing competition and sold for huge sums worldwide...And what a joy it is. The central character of Eleanor feels instantly and insistently real...This is a narrative full of quiet warmth and deep and unspoken sadness. It makes you want to throw a party and invite everyone you know and give them a hug, even that person at work everyone thinks is a bit weird.

For my family
When people ask me what I do - taxi drivers, hairdressers - I tell them I work in an office.
Sport is a mystery to me. In primary school, sports day was the one day of the year when the less academically gifted students could triumph, winning prizes for jumping fastest in a sack, or running from point A to point B more quickly than their classmates. How they loved to wear those badges on their blazers the next day, as if a silver in the egg and spoon race was some sort of compensation for not understanding how to use an apostrophe.
I have always enjoyed reading, but I've never been sure how to select appropriate material. There are so many books in the world--how do you tell them all apart? How do you know which one will match your tastes and interests? That's why I just pick the first book I see. There's no point trying to choose. The covers are of very little help, because they always say only good things, and I've found out to my cost that they're rarely accurate. "Exhilarating" "Dazzling" "Hilarious." No.
She was shiny too, her skin, her hair, her shoes, her teeth. I hadn't even realized before; I am matte, dull, scuffed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0735220689, Hardcover)

"Eleanor Oliphant is a truly original literary creation: funny, touching, and unpredictable. Her journey out of dark shadows is absolutely gripping." --Jojo Moyes, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Me Before You

"Deft, compassionate and deeply moving--Honeyman's debut will have you rooting for Eleanor with every turning page." --Paula McClain, New York Times bestselling author of The Paris Wife and Circling the Sun

No one’s ever told Eleanor that life should be better than fine.

Meet Eleanor Oliphant: She struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she’s thinking. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life of avoiding social interactions, where weekends are punctuated by frozen pizza, vodka, and phone chats with Mummy.

But everything changes when Eleanor meets Raymond, the bumbling and deeply unhygienic IT guy from her office. When she and Raymond together save Sammy, an elderly gentleman who has fallen on the sidewalk, the three become the kinds of friends who rescue one another from the lives of isolation they have each been living. And it is Raymond’s big heart that will ultimately help Eleanor find the way to repair her own profoundly damaged one.

Smart, warm, uplifting, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine is the story of an out-of-the-ordinary heroine whose deadpan weirdness and unconscious wit make for an irresistible journey as she realizes. . .

The only way to survive is to open your heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 26 Jan 2017 14:40:02 -0500)

"Smart, warm, uplifting, the story of an out-of-the-ordinary heroine whose deadpan weirdness and unconscious wit make for an irresistible journey as she realizes the only way to survive is to open her heart. Meet Eleanor Oliphant: she struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she's thinking. That, combined with her unusual appearance (scarred cheek, tendency to wear the same clothes year in, year out), means that Eleanor has become a creature of habit (to say the least) and a bit of a loner. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life of avoiding social interactions, where weekends are punctuated by frozen pizza, vodka, and phone chats with Mummy. But everything changes when Eleanor meets Raymond, the bumbling and deeply unhygienic IT guy from her office. When she and Raymond together save Sammy, an elderly gentleman who has fallen on the sidewalk, the three become the kind of friends who rescue each other from the lives of isolation they have each been living. And it is Raymond's big heart that will ultimately help Eleanor find the way to repair her own profoundly damaged one"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,418,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible