The Game by Monica Hughes

The Game (original 1990; edition 2010)

by Monica Hughes

Member:Cailiosa
Title:The Game
Authors:Monica Hughes
Info:Simon Pulse (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Wishlist (books to purchase or swap), Read but unowned
Tags:Young Adult, science fiction, post-apocalypse

Invitation to the Game by Monica Hughes (1990)

(6.4)
  mshampson | Nov 1, 2014 |
I loved this book as a kid, I still occasionally re-read it. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Great little book to read. Can read in about a day and not want to put the book down. The story is fast paced and doesn't lag at all. Very enjoyable! ( )
  stang50logan | Aug 11, 2013 |
So, when I saw this on the shelves at B & N, I thought it sounded like a mixture of [b:The Running Man|11607|The Running Man|Stephen King|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1286562591s/11607.jpg|3652165](awesome) and [b:The Hunger Games|2767052|The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)|Suzanne Collins|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1293504845s/2767052.jpg|2792775] (also awesome) and I had to buy it. Having finished it, I can't say that it is as good as either of those books, but it is definitely enjoyable. This book was originally published in the early nineties and, though the author passed away a few years ago, obviously her publisher didn't want to miss out on the YA dystopia trend. I have to say, though, that this book is not dated at all--but I did chuckle at her prediction that we'd be using e-readers in the future...

The beginning of this book is definitely not its strong point. [a:Monica Hughes|84820|Monica Hughes|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1291739338p2/84820.jpg] introduces us to Lisse, our protagonist, and her group of friends, all of whom are graduating from Government School. In a [b:The Giver|3636|The Giver (The Giver, #1)|Lois Lowry|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266448651s/3636.jpg|2543234]-type ceremony, each graduate is given their future job assignment or confirmation that they are an Unemployed. As their society has replaced more and more of its workforce with robots, an increasing number of students find themselves Unemployed. Surprise! Lisse and several of her friends join the ranks of the jobless and move to their "Designated Area," where the Government provides them with their basic needs. All around their neighborhood, they hear whispers and conversations about "The Game."

Now, don't get crazy, I'm not going to tell you what The Game is, it would ruin the whole story. But I will tell you that each kid specializes in some sort of occupation while at school. Lisse's group is balanced so each person brings something to their team. When they start playing The Game, it is clear that some people bring more to the table than others and this book was a little frustrating for me because the person who is dead weight on the team is THE PROTAGONIST. Seriously, we have a chemist, a farmer, someone medically trained, a historian, someone that knows karate, etc. And Lisse? Useless. and don't try to tell me she's "a writer." HISTORIANS can write history. And that's basically what she was doing at the end of the story. She keeps getting injured, sick, crying, and generally holding her team back.

This book is pretty interesting in that it shoves political theory into the minds of young adults. There were undertones of rebellion, questionings of authority, and at least a few discussions of the organization of society. The author really packs it all into 182 pages--it's like a clown car--but I didn't mind as I became invested in the story. In fact, I thought it was a great misdirection method--I couldn't wait to find out what The Game really was and what it had to do with the organization of this society! Answer: basically nothing.

If you really want to know what The Game is about, I'll tell you: At first, the group is doing a virtual reality exploration of a huge land. Over time, they stay for longer. In their final time playing, it turns out that all the practice gaming they'd done had been to prepare them for their actual mission to colonize a new planet. Evidently, their society has been shipping off well-balanced groups of Unemployeds to other planets to deal with their workforce problem. Each time they played, the teens were "asleep" when they played the game. The last time, I guess we are to believe that they were put under for however long it took the Government to send them on a spaceship to a planet ON THE OTHER SIDE OF OUR GALAXY. Nevertheless, I did enjoy the fact that each member of the team helped in the colonization. (Except Lisse, who was pretty useless)

I don't regret buying this one, nor do I regret reading it. The writing style (especially the dialogue) were annoying at points because the characters (who were basically cardboard, let's not kid ourselves here) had simplistic conversations and then they went to a club where the author said a Pierrot approached them. Now, I had an idea of what a Pierrot was, but I had to look it up to confirm my suspicion. Who the hell is the audience for this book? In most respects, I feel like it is middle readers, but every once in a while it felt like a teen book. I am clueless who I'd recommend this book to amongst my friends, but it was worthwhile. ( )
  FlanneryAC | Mar 31, 2013 |
RGG: Set in a dystopian world, in which teenagers graduate from high school with no opportunity for employment, a group of teenagers participate in a "game" of survival. While character development is weak, the description of the settings and an urgency to know what's really happening make this a good read. Reading Level: 12-YA.
  rgruberexcel | Sep 3, 2012 |
even several years later and many forgotten details later i still believe this is one of the best books for teens to read
added by allandnnn | editna, Tommy Hickok (Mar 3, 2010)

It was the last day of school and the terror of the previous weeks had crept up on me again. My classmates were already gathering in the Assembly Room for what we jokingly called the Last Rites, and I had run upstairs to the dormitory for my journal, forgotten under my pillow in the excitement of the Last Day.
I was only just in time. The domestic robots were already busy stripping the beds, bundling up the sheets for the laundry, and folding the blankets into neat rectangles, each topped by a pillow, to be placed on the mattresses."
Invitation to the Game was republished as The Game.

It's the future, and most jobs are done by machines. Now that school is over, Lisse and her friends are consigned to a bleak neighborhood for the permanently unemployed. Then they receive an invitation to the Game, which transports them to a paradise. Is it a dream or a computer simulation? Each time they play the Game, the new world seems more and more real...

Unemployed after high school in the highly robotic society of 2154, Lisse and seven friends resign themselves to a boring existence in their "Designated Area" until the government invites them to play The Game.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,043,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible