Modern Classics by Donna Hay

Modern Classics

by Donna Hay

There is quite a variety of Donna Hay books in print and I am dabbling in several of them. The online cooking site I Heart Cooking Clubs features a different chef/cook every six months. The last vote for a female chef was won by Donna Hay. I must say, I am enjoying cooking with her recipes and so far it’s all been delicious (if I may say so myself).

So far, all the cookbooks I have perused display wonderful photos of the food and easy to follow recipes. Let me highlight a few of cookbooks here.

Fast, Fresh Simple offers a great collection of recipes. There is a fresh take on some tried and true recipes and some pretty good short cuts too. If you are in a hurry but don’t want to skimp on fresher ingredients, this is a good resource.

I have made the Garlic Prawn Pasta and Bacon lentil soup so far. The Instant Cook has beautiful yet simple photos of food. There is quite a bit of Asian and Mediterranean flavors and all recipes are, as the title implies, easy, quick with a minimal list of ingredients.
From this book I have made Lemon Marinated Artichoke salad.

Please check out my site for photos and a detailed review: http://novelmeals.wordpress.com/2013/12/31/donna-hay-cookbooks/ ( )
  SquirrelHead | Dec 31, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060095245, Paperback)

Donna Hay's mission? Even if you're short on time, even if you're new to the kitchen, the award-winning Australian food writer wants you to be a proficient cook. Her Modern Classics, Book 1 aims to be for a new generation of cooks what Fanny Farmer and Irma Rombauer were for their grandmothers--kitchen companion, inspiration, culinary bible.

The difference between today's new cooks and their forebears lies in the globalization of taste. Thus Modern Classics offers detailed instructions on how to build a Thai Beef Salad, whip up a Roasted Vegetable Frittata, deliver to the dinner table the perfect Lemon and Parmesan Risotto, as well as how to master contemporary versions of such Anglo staples as white sauce, brown gravy, roast pork, flaky pastry, and Shepherd's Pie.

In sections on the basics, Hay gives step-by-step directions for making the essentials (stock, mayonnaise, fluffy rice). How-tos guide the chef through preparation of specific dishes (spinach and cheddar soufflé, freeform ratatouille tart, laksa, French onion soup, pad thai). A sampler of recipes from around the world follows, offering variations on the kitchen skills and flavors just introduced. An array of short orders, easy-to-follow recipes for condiments and side dishes to complement the entrees, ends each section.

And here's the sweetest thing: pictures. Full color, artfully shot photos of beautifully prepared dishes show us what our labor will produce. For a generation of visual learners, these tantalizing visions are well worth the space that might have used to list 14 more things to do with turnips. Modern Classics would be the perfect gift; it deserves a spot in the bridal registry or the new graduate's apartment. --Schuyler Ingle and Joyce Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:05 -0400)

Commonsense cookery redefined that is simple and modern.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,320,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible