Getting Things Done by David Allen

Getting Things Done (original 2001; edition 2002)

by David Allen

8,206141382 (4.03)1 / 58
Member:Hoppity
Title:Getting Things Done
Authors:David Allen
Info:Piatkus Hb/Tpb (2002), Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:*****

Getting things done : the art of stress-free productivity by David Allen (2001)

Process Mapping, Process Improvement, and Process Management by Dan Madison (BogAl)
    BogAl: You know what to do. Now, figure out how to to it.

English (129)  Russian (2)  French (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (138)
Loved this book. Borrowed from library, decided to buy the most recent version to have a copy of my own ( )
  ncrisafulli | Feb 4, 2016 |
I started reading the background articles in Fast Company and his website in the mid to late 1990s. This book was ground breaking! ( )
  deldevries | Jan 17, 2016 |
Pedestrian ( )
  starkravingmad | Jan 14, 2016 |
Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity or “GTD” by David Allen, originally published in 2001 but revised in 2015, lays out a work flow - the process of collecting, processing, organizing, reviewing and doing - that can be applied to any goal or project. The ideas are valuable; however, even the 2015 update appears to superimpose technology onto what it still a paper based system rather than adapt the system to truly take advantage of the tools available today.

Read my complete review at: http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2015/12/getting-things-done-art-of-stress-free.... ( )
  njmom3 | Dec 26, 2015 |
I am thankful to CGP Grey for recommending me this book. Himself and Brady Haran urged the listeners of their podcast to read the book and that is when I gave it its first read.

No doubt the language of the book is terrible(I am a Physics major and it bored even me!). The business jargon in it is just indigestible. But THE MESSAGE IS SOLID - Don't have stuff in your brain. Capture it into a trustworthy system, Clarify what the stuff you have stored is, Organize it into actionable and non actionable items, Reflect and decide what your next steps are, Engage and act upon the actionable items and store for future the inactionable items and regularly review this system. Also exploit the natural method by which the brain plans and try putting it into action while planning for your own projects.

I am reminded of Samuel Johnson's words from his dictionary, "...useful diligence will at last prevail..." If you try staying with this book notwithstanding its style and language and manage to extract its message, the effort might change your lifestyle forever for the better, as it has changed mine. ( )
  VenkiPhy6 | Dec 14, 2015 |
It is simply the best personal productivity book I’ve ever read, and there’s material in this book that can apply to anyone’s life, whether you’re a manager or a writer or a professional or a stay-at-home parent.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Simple Dollar, Trent (May 6, 2007)

For Kathryn, my extraordinary partner in life and work
Votre efficacité est directement liée à votre capacitéde vous détendre . Ce livre va transformer radicalement votre manière de vivre et de travailler.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142000280, Paperback)

With first-chapter allusions to martial arts, "flow," "mind like water," and other concepts borrowed from the East (and usually mangled), you'd almost think this self-helper from David Allen should have been called Zen and the Art of Schedule Maintenance.

Not quite. Yes, Getting Things Done offers a complete system for downloading all those free-floating gotta-do's clogging your brain into a sophisticated framework of files and action lists--all purportedly to free your mind to focus on whatever you're working on. However, it still operates from the decidedly Western notion that if we could just get really, really organized, we could turn ourselves into 24/7 productivity machines. (To wit, Allen, whom the New Economy bible Fast Company has dubbed "the personal productivity guru," suggests that instead of meditating on crouching tigers and hidden dragons while you wait for a plane, you should unsheathe that high-tech saber known as the cell phone and attack that list of calls you need to return.)

As whole-life-organizing systems go, Allen's is pretty good, even fun and therapeutic. It starts with the exhortation to take every unaccounted-for scrap of paper in your workstation that you can't junk, The next step is to write down every unaccounted-for gotta-do cramming your head onto its own scrap of paper. Finally, throw the whole stew into a giant "in-basket"

That's where the processing and prioritizing begin; in Allen's system, it get a little convoluted at times, rife as it is with fancy terms, subterms, and sub-subterms for even the simplest concepts. Thank goodness the spine of his system is captured on a straightforward, one-page flowchart that you can pin over your desk and repeatedly consult without having to refer back to the book. That alone is worth the purchase price. Also of value is Allen's ingenious Two-Minute Rule: if there's anything you absolutely must do that you can do right now in two minutes or less, then do it now, thus freeing up your time and mind tenfold over the long term. It's commonsense advice so obvious that most of us completely overlook it, much to our detriment; Allen excels at dispensing such wisdom in this useful, if somewhat belabored, self-improver aimed at everyone from CEOs to soccer moms (who we all know are more organized than most CEOs to start with). --Timothy Murphy

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:10 -0400)

Veteran coach and management consultant Allen shares the breakthrough methods for stress-free performance that he has introduced to thousands. He shows how to assess goals, relax, and stay focused.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,538,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible