Getting Things Done by David Allen

Getting Things Done (original 2001; edition 2002)

by David Allen

7,446None465 (4.03)53
Member:Hoppity
Title:Getting Things Done
Authors:David Allen
Info:Piatkus Hb/Tpb (2002), Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:*****

Getting Things Done: The Art Of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen (2001)

English (117)  Russian (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (125)
Good step-by-step method for streamlining to-do lists and boosting productivity. Classic read. ( )
  MorganGMac | Feb 13, 2014 |
I have two separate ratings for this book. 4 stars for the content. 3 stars for the length. This book should be at least 100 pages shorter. ( )
  yencarnacion | Feb 12, 2014 |
Probably the only book of this nature that I actually liked. But like everything else in this genre, I wondered while reading it why it came in book form when all the information in it could be put into a pamphlet. ( )
  M.Campanella | Jan 19, 2014 |
A quick read with some helpful tips. I tend to be incredibly organized and am already a list-maker, so much of the book enforced acts that I am used to doing. It encourages people to make lists, always move forward on projects and take the next step, etc. I agree with much of his philosophy, especially developing the habit of tackling tasks as you come across them so they don't pile up. ( )
  bookworm12 | Dec 6, 2013 |
A few good tips, but sadly the author's approach has become almost completely obsolete in this age of smartphones and apps. There are lots of apps that will apply these principles for you and track all your to-dos, and with a portable device they're always accessible. No need anymore to write them all down on individual sheets of paper and put them in your inbox. The author is a bit of a dinosaur (and maybe also slightly too rational: the vision of him and his wife have separate inboxes at home and that he deposits sheets with tasks for her to do in her inbox rather than talk to her, has made a strong impression on me. This may not be the person I want to take advice from, I thought).
If you're interested in this topic, get yourself a good task manager app, fill it up and skip this book. If you've been living in a cave for the last 10 years, or if you use pencil and paper for everything, you may find this book useful. ( )
  fist | Oct 17, 2013 |
It is simply the best personal productivity book I’ve ever read, and there’s material in this book that can apply to anyone’s life, whether you’re a manager or a writer or a professional or a stay-at-home parent.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Simple Dollar, Trent (May 6, 2007)

For Kathryn, my extraordinary partner in life and work

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142000280, Paperback)

With first-chapter allusions to martial arts, "flow," "mind like water," and other concepts borrowed from the East (and usually mangled), you'd almost think this self-helper from David Allen should have been called Zen and the Art of Schedule Maintenance.

Not quite. Yes, Getting Things Done offers a complete system for downloading all those free-floating gotta-do's clogging your brain into a sophisticated framework of files and action lists--all purportedly to free your mind to focus on whatever you're working on. However, it still operates from the decidedly Western notion that if we could just get really, really organized, we could turn ourselves into 24/7 productivity machines. (To wit, Allen, whom the New Economy bible Fast Company has dubbed "the personal productivity guru," suggests that instead of meditating on crouching tigers and hidden dragons while you wait for a plane, you should unsheathe that high-tech saber known as the cell phone and attack that list of calls you need to return.)

As whole-life-organizing systems go, Allen's is pretty good, even fun and therapeutic. It starts with the exhortation to take every unaccounted-for scrap of paper in your workstation that you can't junk, The next step is to write down every unaccounted-for gotta-do cramming your head onto its own scrap of paper. Finally, throw the whole stew into a giant "in-basket"

That's where the processing and prioritizing begin; in Allen's system, it get a little convoluted at times, rife as it is with fancy terms, subterms, and sub-subterms for even the simplest concepts. Thank goodness the spine of his system is captured on a straightforward, one-page flowchart that you can pin over your desk and repeatedly consult without having to refer back to the book. That alone is worth the purchase price. Also of value is Allen's ingenious Two-Minute Rule: if there's anything you absolutely must do that you can do right now in two minutes or less, then do it now, thus freeing up your time and mind tenfold over the long term. It's commonsense advice so obvious that most of us completely overlook it, much to our detriment; Allen excels at dispensing such wisdom in this useful, if somewhat belabored, self-improver aimed at everyone from CEOs to soccer moms (who we all know are more organized than most CEOs to start with). --Timothy Murphy

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:09 -0400)

Veteran coach and management consultant Allen shares the breakthrough methods for stress-free performance that he has introduced to thousands. He shows how to assess goals, relax, and stay focused.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible