Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free…

Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity (original 2001; edition 2002)

by David Allen

9,122151499 (4.02)1 / 63
Member:makfan
Title:Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity
Authors:David Allen
Info:Penguin Books (2002), Edition: First Thus, Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, Finished
Tags:productivity, time management, to reread

Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity [revised, 2015] by David Allen (2001)

Recently added byprivate library, ScottColeman, explorer436, pastorstephen, elmanu, minouye, TheBigLeMeowski, RBeard37
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Process Mapping, Process Improvement, and Process Management by Dan Madison (BogAl)
    BogAl: You know what to do. Now, figure out how to to it.

English (141)  French (2)  German (2)  Russian (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (150)
This book literally talks about getting things done/ in order. Things as in non living things most of the time.

Things like filing up your documents, email, organising your table, your project, your life, your mindset. What I feel is missing is the human touch. ( )
  Jason.Ong.Wicky | Oct 9, 2018 |
Eu só tenho elogios a tecer a este livro. Coloquei os ensinamentos dele em prática e funcionam, sem dúvida alguma. Ele divide-se em 3 partes: Os primeiros 3 capítulos introduzem os conceitos: o que é o GTD, compreender o fluxo de trabalho, entender como é que o cérebro organiza a informação, como se desenrola o fluxo de trabalho, etc. Entre o Capítulo 4 até ao 10º, todo o sistema é explicado: desde os materiais a utilizar, como melhor organizar o local de trabalho, quando deve iniciar o processo, tudo! É como se tivéssemos o nosso personal coacher ao nosso lado. Tudo o que eu precisei de saber para implementar este método fui buscá-lo ao livro. A última parte, que engloba os 3 últimos capítulos, explica a importância de manter determinados hábitos e a força e importância que estes têm. Conceitos como a “regra dos 2 minutos” e “qual a próxima acção?” foram, para mim, assombrosos pois, apesar de serem tão simples, são tão poderosos. Ele ensina-nos a organizar o trabalho de uma forma harmoniosa com o pensamento, aquela que nos é mais confortável, e o resultado é uma sensação de controlo absoluto sobre o trabalho e a vida.
  Telma_tx | Jul 30, 2018 |
You know how sometimes you get so overwhelmed with work you don't know what to do?

That's what this book helps with. I found the advice in it helpful, if a bit annoying at times. While it became painfully obvious at several points that [a:David Allen|1058|David Allen|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1268494093p2/1058.jpg] was trying to get people to go to his seminars or hire him to help, the overall message of the book was still good.

It's a nice guide to how to organize your projects and your life so that you can be more efficient. Just please realize that work and life can be separate things. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Чем выше ритм вашей жизни, тем важнее для вас прочитать эту книгу. ( )
  sr71at | Apr 27, 2018 |
One of the original productivity guides and still one of the most thorough, inspiring and thought-provoking. Allen's revolutionary idea was to change 'to do lists' into action lists, bringing all obligations or duties from all parts of our lives together into one organisational system. His key rule is to get everything down in a reliable, regularly-checked system, and to get it out of our heads, where it's contributing to a feeling of stress and being overwhelmed. Once we've written out our various projects, our job is to assess what steps we need to take to achieve them, and to focus, step by step, on the next thing we have to do - which brings us steadily closer to our goal without overwhelming us with one huge task. Straightforward and easily customised, it's a simple way to get your stuff back under control. I'm in the process of applying it to my work obligations right now and it is helping, though there's a long way to go. Bear in mind that most of the books you now see jostling for space on Amazon are pale imitations of this. Save your money on those, and buy this instead.

But which edition should you buy? I'm currently referring to a copy of the first edition from 2001, which I borrowed from my local library. Its ideas are still relevant in their broadest sense, but this oldest edition now feels very dated, as Allen is writing for a world in which all filing is done on paper and only the most advanced executives might have a Palm PDA (Personal Digital Assistant), which now sounds as archaic as a BBC computer. Despite that, the lessons can easily be applied to our modern, Evernote and Todoist-connected world. I've just ordered my own copy of the updated 2015 edition and will come back to rework and amend my review once I've read that. ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Aug 21, 2017 |
It is simply the best personal productivity book I’ve ever read, and there’s material in this book that can apply to anyone’s life, whether you’re a manager or a writer or a professional or a stay-at-home parent.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Simple Dollar, Trent (May 6, 2007)

David Allenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fallows, JamesForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kathryn, my extraordinary partner in life and work
Votre efficacité est directement liée à votre capacitéde vous détendre . Ce livre va transformer radicalement votre manière de vivre et de travailler.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142000280, Paperback)

With first-chapter allusions to martial arts, "flow," "mind like water," and other concepts borrowed from the East (and usually mangled), you'd almost think this self-helper from David Allen should have been called Zen and the Art of Schedule Maintenance.

Not quite. Yes, Getting Things Done offers a complete system for downloading all those free-floating gotta-do's clogging your brain into a sophisticated framework of files and action lists--all purportedly to free your mind to focus on whatever you're working on. However, it still operates from the decidedly Western notion that if we could just get really, really organized, we could turn ourselves into 24/7 productivity machines. (To wit, Allen, whom the New Economy bible Fast Company has dubbed "the personal productivity guru," suggests that instead of meditating on crouching tigers and hidden dragons while you wait for a plane, you should unsheathe that high-tech saber known as the cell phone and attack that list of calls you need to return.)

As whole-life-organizing systems go, Allen's is pretty good, even fun and therapeutic. It starts with the exhortation to take every unaccounted-for scrap of paper in your workstation that you can't junk, The next step is to write down every unaccounted-for gotta-do cramming your head onto its own scrap of paper. Finally, throw the whole stew into a giant "in-basket"

That's where the processing and prioritizing begin; in Allen's system, it get a little convoluted at times, rife as it is with fancy terms, subterms, and sub-subterms for even the simplest concepts. Thank goodness the spine of his system is captured on a straightforward, one-page flowchart that you can pin over your desk and repeatedly consult without having to refer back to the book. That alone is worth the purchase price. Also of value is Allen's ingenious Two-Minute Rule: if there's anything you absolutely must do that you can do right now in two minutes or less, then do it now, thus freeing up your time and mind tenfold over the long term. It's commonsense advice so obvious that most of us completely overlook it, much to our detriment; Allen excels at dispensing such wisdom in this useful, if somewhat belabored, self-improver aimed at everyone from CEOs to soccer moms (who we all know are more organized than most CEOs to start with). --Timothy Murphy

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:10 -0400)

Veteran coach and management consultant Allen shares the breakthrough methods for stress-free performance that he has introduced to thousands. He shows how to assess goals, relax, and stay focused.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,627,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible