Footnotes from the World's Greatest…

Footnotes from the World's Greatest Bookstores: True Tales and Lost…

by Bob Eckstein

Beautiful paintings of seventy-five bookstores around the world. Most of which are in the United States. Most of which are in New York City. I mean, I like NYC as much as the next girl, but after a certain point, I was like, "I get it! Every bookstore in NYC is great! NYC is great! But aren't there other great bookstores in other places, too?"

I guess I just didn't get this book and what it wanted to be. I enjoyed flipping through it, but I can't imagine buying it. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
Book Jacket:
From the beloved New Yorker cartoonist comes a collection of paintings and stories from some of the world’s most cherished bookstores.

This collection of 75 evocative paintings and colorful anecdotes invites you into the heart and soul of every community: the local bookshop, each with its own quirks, charms, and legendary stories.

The book features an incredible roster of great bookstores from across the globe and stories from writers, thinkers and artists of our time, including David Bowie, Tom Wolfe, Jonathan Lethem, Roz Chast, Deepak Chopra, Bob Odenkirk, Philip Glass, Jonathan Ames, Terry Gross, Mark Maron, Neil Gaiman, Ann Patchett, Chris Ware, Molly Crabapple, Amitav Ghosh, Alice Munro, Dave Eggers, Garrison Keillor and many more.

Page by page, Eckstein perfectly captures our lifelong love affair with books, bookstores, and book-sellers that is at once heartfelt, bittersweet, and cheerfully confessional. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Nov 29, 2017 |
I loved this book. Features lovely bookstores all over the world. Beautiful illustrations. Stories from each store. I made a list of all the bookstores I wanted to visit! :) The last page of the book had an employee of the month poster and it was a cat!! :) If you love bookstores, you will adore this book! ( )
  dawnlovesbooks | Mar 30, 2017 |
There are books about books, but there are also books about bookshops. The latter has practically become its own genre in both fiction ("The Little Paris Bookshop," "Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore," "The Bookshop on the Corner," "The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry") and nonfiction ("My Bookstore," "The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop," "Overheard at the Bookstore," "The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap").

Add to that second list Bob Eckstein's "Footnotes* from the World's Greatest Bookstore," published last year. Surprisingly, this is first an art book. Eckstein did watercolor paintings of the fronts of scores of great bookstores from around the world, most of them still open but some of them no longer in business. He also tells us a little something about each store, then includes quotations about the store from owners, staff members and customers.

Eckstein is a New Yorker, so a significant number of the stores are in and around New York City, but some are as far away as India, Germany, Japan, Great Britain and Paris. The Librairie Avant-Garde in Nanjing, China, is located in the tunnel of a former bomb shelter. The Moravian Book Shop in Bethlehem, Penn., is the oldest continuously operating bookshop in the world. Quimby's in Chicago specializes in graphic novels. The Weapon of Mass Instruction in Argentina is a military tank converted into a roving bookstore. A daughter confessed to spreading her late father's ashes in various places in City Lights Booksellers in San Francisco because it had been one of his favorite places in the world.

I am pleased to have shopped in some of the stores Eckstein paints and writes about. These include Parnassus Books in Nashville, Powell's Books in Portland and John K. King Used & Rare Books in Detroit. Most of the others are still on my bucket list. ( )
  hardlyhardy | Mar 20, 2017 |
This is a gem of a book for lovers of books and bookstores. New Yorker cartoonist Bob Eckstein provides paintings of 75 worldwide bookstores and anecdotes on each are provided by store-owners, clerks and/or customers. A few famous stores (e.g. Shakespeare and Company, Paris) get a 4-page write-up, but most are 2-pages. A several page overflow of anecdotes that didn't fit into the other pages are added at the backend.

Trivia:
- The book pages are unnumbered but the 176 page count includes the inside front covers, i.e. the flippable pages number 174.
- There is always one: Single typo found on pg. 66 "Steven Fry" written for writer/actor Stephen Fry. ( )
  alanteder | Jan 6, 2017 |

From beloved New Yorker cartoonist Bob Eckstein, Footnotes from the World’s Greatest Bookstores invites you into the heart and soul of every community: the local bookshop, each with its own quirks, charms, and legendary stories.

This collection of seventy-five of the most cherished bookstores from around the world features evocative paintings by Eckstein paired with colorful anecdotes about each shop, featuring a roster of great thinkers and artists of our time, including David Bowie, Tom Wolfe, Joe Frank, Tracy Chevalier, Jonathan Lethem, Michael Palin, Roz Chast, Deepak Chopra, Bob Odenkirk, Robin Williams, Patricia Marx, Philip Glass, Paul McCartney, Dave Berry, Michael Jackson, Jonathan Ames, Terry Gross, Mark Maron, Neil Gaiman, Ann Patchett, Jo Nesbo, Diane Keaton, Chris Ware, Molly Crabapple, Amitav Ghosh, Patti Smith, Mo Willems, Alice Munro, Dave Eggers, Roxanna Robinson, Garrison Keillor and many more.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 02 Oct 2016 07:14:18 -0400)

"From beloved New Yorker cartoonist Bob Eckstein, Footnotes from the World’s Greatest Bookstores invites you into the heart and soul of every community: the local bookshop, each with its own quirks, charms, and legendary stories,"--Amazon.com. Eckstein has collected brief anecdotes about bookstores from across the globe, and accompanied each with a painting of the building, store front, or mobile unit. Each two page spread captures our lifelong love affair with books, bookstores, and book-sellers.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,067,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible