Bring Back the King: The New Science of…

Bring Back the King: The New Science of De-extinction

by Helen Pilcher

Fantastic book. I’m a science nerd and have always wanted my stegosaurus as a pet. Helen Pilcher tells the path of which scientists dared to bring back an extinct animal. Easy to follow along she adds in humor and irony to keep the pace moving. I remember hearing about these pioneers in their field and glad to see their accomplishments are contained in this book. ( )
  caanderson | Jan 29, 2017 |
Bring Back the King: The New Science of De-extinction by Helen Pilcher is a terrific science book that is full of humor and science that kept me interested on every page. The science, which I admit I love anyway, was written so everyday Joe's and Jane's can understand and the humor was witty, clever, and refreshing. I learned a lot in this book and I read a lot on this subject so I already knew some of it but what she brought up was new and exciting. Lots of extinct animals, extinctions, cloning, new science and possibilities on the way. Very exciting stuff! I enjoyed the layout and the writing style. A totally refreshing style for a science book. Thanks NetGalley for suggesting this book to read. Loved it. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Nov 17, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 147291225X, Hardcover)

Helen Pilcher is uniquely qualified to explain the cutting-edge science that makes the resurrection of extinct animals a very real possibility, while acknowledging the serious and humorous aspects of giving a deceased animal a second chance to live. If you could bring back to life a person or animal, what would you choose? Pilcher highlights her own choices from eras gone, including the King of the Dinosaurs, Tyrannosaurus rex, and the King of Rock 'n' Roll, Elvis Presley.

From dinosaurs to dodos and Neanderthals, Bring Back the King reveals how the burgeoning field of DNA science is being used to help resurrect individual animals (did your beloved Fido die before siring offspring?) and entire species from their stony graves. Pilcher describes current initiatives and future plans to restore deceased animals, and uses both science and willful irreverence to assess the ramifications of how these genetic Lazaruses might fare in their brave new world. Could a pet dinosaur be trained to roll over? Would Neanderthals enjoy opera? Could a returning dodo seek vengeance upon humanity?

Blending the very latest de-extinction technology with cloning, and hard-core popular science with levity, Bring Back the King will generate a lot of thoughtful discussion and a chuckle or two.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 02 Oct 2016 15:22:48 -0400)

If you could bring back just one animal from the past, what would you choose? It can be anyone or anything from history, from the King of the Dinosaurs, T. rex, to the King of Rock 'n' Roll, Elvis Presley, and beyond. De-extinction - the ability to bring extinct species back to life - is fast becoming reality. Around the globe, scientists are trying to de-extinct all manner of animals, including the woolly mammoth, the passenger pigeon and a bizarre species of flatulent frog. But de-extinction is more than just bringing back the dead. It's a science that can be used to save species, shape evolution and sculpt the future of life on our planet. In Bring Back the King, scientist and comedy writer Helen Pilcher goes on a quest to identify the perfect de-extinction candidate. Along the way, she asks if Elvis could be recreated from the DNA inside a pickled wart, investigates whether it's possible to raise a pet dodo, and considers the odds of a 21st century Neanderthal turning heads on public transport. Pondering the practicalities and the point of de-extinction, Bring Back the King is a witty and wry exploration of what is bound to become one of the hottest topics in conservation - if not in science as a whole - in the years to come.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,963,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible