Jane Eyre (Manga classics) by Charlotte…

Jane Eyre (Manga classics) (edition 2016)

by Charlotte Brontë

Member:pflagg1991
Title:Jane Eyre (Manga classics)
Authors:Charlotte Brontë
Info:Richmond Hill : Udon Entertainment, 2016.

Manga Classics: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte by Crystal Chan (Author)

I love any book that brings the classics to new generations. With this Manga graphic novel we see Jane Eyre still relatively true to the original but told in a style that will interest middle grade and even YA readers. The story of the little orphan girl who is so mistreated, gets sent off to school and then takes a job as governess for the ward of the reclusive Mr. Rochester is still there. We see Jane and Rochester fall in love, even though his first wife is still in the house, clearly crazy. This is a quick read and that is where we do lose some of the brooding, emotional story told in the much longer classic by Charlotte Bronte.

As this was an ARC, I do not know if the illustrations will be more polished and perhaps have some colour added or not. They are well drawn in the Manga style and it is easy to see their feelings displayed on their faces. Jane was shown as a very angry person in most illustrations though. I always thought Jane would be plain looking and Rochester very handsome based on the classic, but when drawing in the Manga style, everyone pretty much looks the same.

All in all, this was well done. If it brings the story to young people, perhaps they will search out the classic in the future to read the full version. A good read for reluctant readers. I received a galley of this book from Netgalley. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
I fell in love with Jane Eyre as a child in the seventies watching Masterpiece Theatre. Then I read the book and the love was sealed. Since, I've read re-imaginings, retellings, the prequel and graphic adaptations. This is the first manga adaptation I've read and Jane Eyre really suits this style well. Even though Jane is plain in the book, she's quite attractive as a manga female and yet the author has kept her looks simpler than the other females. This is quite a sound retelling which includes, as far as I remember, all the necessary plot points. It can't quite capture the sullen, moody character of Rochester but Jane comes across excellently. I've now read every Manga Classic title and desperately hope they continue with another round of titles. I'd love to see Wuthering Heights and another Dickens. ( )
  ElizaJane | Nov 27, 2016 |
A beautiful Manga portrayal of a classic story of a young independent woman trying to find her place in the world and the older man with some skeletons in his closet who falls in love with her (as she falls for him). This version is true to the overall original story (with some artistic license) and the illustrations depict the full range of emotions felt by the characters. It's fun seeing these older works reinvented with a fresh look, especially in a format that can be read so quickly. This work is part of a growing series that introduces classic novels to new and younger readers who may have skipped over these books otherwise. Recommended.

Net Galley Feedback ( )
  LibStaff2 | Oct 9, 2016 |

Chan, CrystalAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, SunNekoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

Orphan Jane Eyre grows up and takes a job as governess for the wild daughter of the mysterious Mr. Rochester of Thornfield Hall. She starts to fall in love with him, but he?s hiding a secret. This is a faithful adaptation into a manga-style graphic novel. For ages 8 and up. B&W. 320pp.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,537,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible