The Wall by Marlen Haushofer

The Wall (1962)

by Marlen Haushofer

Recently added byktooropk, imagists, Manuel88, AlainCipit, Ingrid.Roth, private library, asiev, LottaBerling, Ward_Z, lapisebagigi
Legacy LibrariesAstrid Lindgren
    Die gläserne Kugel. Utopischer Roman. by Marianne Gruber (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Another book written by an Austrian author whose protagonist is surrounded by a transparent barrier. Sphere of Glass isn't anything like so well-known as this one. Which is rather a pity.
    A Whole Life by Robert Seethaler (Florian_Brennstoff)
    Man in the Holocene by Max Frisch (defaults)

English (38)  German (7)  Dutch (7)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (55)
The diary of an ordinary middle-aged woman who appears to be the last person alive on earth. She learns to survive and love the animals around her. Very enjoyable read, considering that really nothing happens and there is no explanation about the event that disposed of the rest of humanity. ( )
  gbelik | Dec 1, 2018 |
What would you do if you found yourself separated from the rest of the world by an invisible wall, where everyone outside of it is dead and you're alive? How would you survive? For the unnamed narrator in Haushofer's The Wall, you take things one day at a time and learn how to survive the best you can with what you have be it one calf that you raise for milk, kittens that find their way to the house and then leave, or the dried beans in the pantry that you'll need to find a way to grow so you can have something to eat. Oh, and your dog. ( )
  lizdurano | Nov 29, 2018 |
What a weird book: one morning, when on holiday in the Alps, a woman finds herself locked in behind an invisible wall. On the other side, she sees everyone and everything is dead and on her side of the wall, she only finds a few animals that help her survive. And it's her seemingly hopeless yet ceaseless attempt to survive that fills the pages. You should not read this book to get to the end, because, well, actually, there is no end. But the way in which Haushofer manages to express the evolution of the woman locked in her own lonely, yet at times idyllic world, is breath-taking.

The reason I only gave 3,5 stars to this book has a lot to do with the fact that I'm not really into dystopian novels. Who knows why I keep reading them (probably because people whose reading-choices I admire, often like this kind of books). But if you are into dystopian novels, this book is one I can safely recommend. ( )
  MGovers | Mar 15, 2018 |
Slow-moving, strictly constrained, minimal and atmospheric. The nearest comparison I can make is to Robert Bresson's films... the book's bare focus on process is rather similar to his Un condamné à mort s'est échappé. Hands down the best novel I've read in 2017, but not to everyone's taste. ( )
1 vote defaults | Nov 10, 2017 |
Written in 1962, this struck me as both a common matrilineal ancestor of books like [b:The Martian|18007564|The Martian|Andy Weir|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1413706054s/18007564.jpg|21825181] and [b:Station Eleven|20170404|Station Eleven|Emily St. John Mandel|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1451446835s/20170404.jpg|28098716], and a philosophical descendant of [b:Walden|16902|Walden|Henry David Thoreau|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1465675526s/16902.jpg|2361393]. There's a lot of meditation on solitude; the solitude just happens to be the result of an inexplicable, quasi-apocalyptic wall.

BraveNewBks | Aug 8, 2017 |
The Wall is a quiet book about domesticity, planting, beauty, the rhythms of keeping house, the land, human nature—and what a person can love in a people-less world. I consider it The Road’s antithesis. In contrast to McCarthy’s characters, who are toiling desperately for their survival in an ugly world, The Wall suggests our disappearance from the planet need not seem a tragedy.

Marlen Haushoferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hengel, Ria vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whiteside, ShaunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Für meine Eltern
Today, the fifth of November, I shall begin my report.
Violent as these storms were, the sky was clear the next morning, and the mists billowed only in the valley. The meadow seemed to be floating along on the clouds, a green and damply gleaming ship on the white foaming waves of a turbulent ocean. And the sea subsided slowly, and the tips of the spruces rose from it wet and fresh.
I had waited much too often and much too long for people or events which had never turned up, or which had turned up so late that they had ceased to mean anything to me.
Loving and looking after another creature is a very troublesome business and much harder than killing and destruction.
If everyone had been like me there would’ve never been a wall.
As long as there is something to love in the forest, I shall love it. And if some day there is nothing, I shall stop living.

First published to acclaim in Germany, The Wall chronicles the life of the last surviving human on earth, an ordinary middle-aged woman who awakens one morning to find that everyone else has vanished. Assuming her isolation to be the result of a military experiment gone awry, she begins the terrifying work of survival and self-renewal. This novel is at once a simple and moving tale and a disturbing meditation on humanity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:03 -0400)

"A middle-aged widow wakes up one day in her cousin's holiday home in the countryside and finds herself alone; her hosts have failed to return from an evening out in the nearby village. Perplexed, the woman investigates, accompanied by her hosts' dog, Luchs. The pair soon encounter an invisible wall, separating them from the world outside. Beyond the wall is a man, frozen mid-motion; all is still. The narrator quickly establishes the limits of her new, walled world, a sizeable area that is partially forested and occupied by a variety of animals." -- New Books in German.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Marlen Haushofer's book The Wall was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,550,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible