Treasured Grace (Heart of the Frontier) by…

Treasured Grace (Heart of the Frontier) (edition 2017)

by Tracie Peterson (Author)

Member:itsJUSTme
Title:Treasured Grace (Heart of the Frontier)
Authors:Tracie Peterson (Author)
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2017), 320 pages
Tags:Fiction, Christian, Historical, Oregon Trail

Treasured Grace (Heart of the Frontier) by Tracie Peterson

Wow I couldn't believe I got to read and review another story that takes place on the Oregon Trail! What luck. This one was not quite as exciting as the last one I read (The Blue Hour), but still was a very good read. I have read a lot of books by Tracie Peterson but it has been a long time. It was nice to get to do another one.

Great character development. I loved Grace and her sisters - Hope and Mercy. I do look forward to reading the next two books in the series about them. I loved Alex!!!! He was the perfect frontier woodsman. Some people said they couldn't relate to them but I related to them just fine. I really liked all the characters. I thought the author did a fine job.

Another reviewer said that this book was too depressing. Well... that is what the Oregon trail was like! People died! They were attacked by Indians, they got diseases, they got injured, they starved and much more. That is the way it was. If this story was all happy happy joy joy it would not have been real and I would not have liked it at all. So this book being depressing is what made it authentic. I thought after everything they had been through Grace handled it real well. She was a strong woman and I loved that about her.

The only negative for me was that is was a little slow in spots and dragged a bit. Other than that I did really like it - and it did feel very real! I will be looking forward to reading the other books in the series. It felt good to get back to Tracie's writing!

I voluntarily posted this review after receiving a copy of this book from Bethany House - Thank You! ( )
  itsJUSTme | Apr 27, 2017 |
I enjoyed the historical part of this book, but I felt the romantic part was typical and predictable. If you don't know anything about the Whitmans and the Spauldings, missionaries to the Indians, this is a great book to read. If you already know the story, it might be a little predictable. Still, the author did a great job weaving a story around a horrible true event in America's history. Another book with the same background story, but told through different eyes, is Judy Hedlund's "The Doctor's Lady". ( )
  ChurchMouse70 | Apr 11, 2017 |
Tracie Peterson has written another historical adventure romance based on a true event. Meet Grace Martindale and her two sisters, Hope and Mercy, in "Treasured Grace." After the death of her parents, Grace decides to go to Oregon City where her uncle lives. In order to get there, she marries the Right Reverend T.S. Martindale who needs a wife as part of the missionary mandate. Together, with her sisters, they join a wagon train heading west but tragedy occurs and the reverend dies along with many others as sickness spreads. With winter approaching, Grace decides to stay at the Whitman Mission. Here at the mission, Grace tries to adjust to frontier life using her herbal skills while meeting frontiersman Alex Armistead, the Nez Perce, and the Cayuse. Then a measles outbreak happens increasing tension among the Native Americans and the mission residents, particularly Dr. Whitman. Based on the Whitman Mission Massacre. I found the reading riveting. Did not want to put it down to go to work! You won't be disappointed if you are looking for a historical adventure. I received a complementary copy from Bethany House to review and give my honest opinion. ( )
  gcclibrary | Mar 30, 2017 |
Searching for a wonderful book to read this Spring or Summer? Treasured Grace is definitely one book you should consider reading!

Treasured Grace is set in the 1840s frontier and is the first of three books in Ms. Peterson's Heart of the Frontier Series. The author's love of history and research clearly shines through in her richly detailed settings, roundly developed characters and engaging plot.

In truth, I have to say I started of reading this book expecting a feel good, clean love story of moderate fluff. It wasn't long into the book where I was pleasantly and strongly surprised to find this book was so much more! Within the pages of this historical romance the author addresses woman's equality issues of that era, human prejudice based on race and religion, the effects of this country's westward expansion as well as love, faith and so. much. more.

I fully enjoyed reading Treasured Grace and I can't wait to read the second and third book in this series!

I received this book for free. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are my own. Thank you to Bethany House Publishers, Ms. Peterson and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. ( )
  mrsrenee | Mar 28, 2017 |
With over one hundred books to her credit, Tracie Peterson is a prolific writer. While Treasured Grace falls among her historical fiction novels, Tracie writes contemporary fiction as well. Her fans will be very pleased with this first book in her latest series.
Treasured Grace is set in Oregon Country in the mid-1800s, leading up to Oregon’s recognition as a territory of the United States of America. Peterson’s fictional characters survive the trials of life on the Oregon trail, only to live through the real life horrors of the Whitman Mission massacre. Readers of Jane Kirkpatrick’s The Memory Weaver, which told the story of Eliza Spaulding, an actual Whitman Mission survivor, and her family, may also be interested in reading the story of the Flanigan sisters: Grace, Hope and Mercy.
Following the death of their widowed mother, the sisters embark upon a journey to Oregon Country in order to locate their uncle. Unable to make the trip as a single woman, Grace, the eldest, enters a marriage of convenience. The Right Reverend T.S. Martindale, meeting the Mission Board’s requirement of having a wife, agrees to take on the responsibility of Grace and her sisters, while also taking most of their resources. However, during the trip to Oregon City, the Right Reverent succumbs to illness, and Grace becomes a widow whose marriage was never consummated. She finds that she must place herself and her sisters at the mercy of Dr. and Mrs. Whitman, who graciously allow the sisters to winter over while they build up their strength, and determine their next course of action. Any thoughts they had about their future were abruptly changed as the Cayuse attack the mission killing the older boys, men, and Mrs. Whitman, and keep the women and children hostage.
Themes presented through this story deal with forgiveness, prejudice, healing, and faith in the face of the most difficult of times. I recommend this book to fans of well-researched historical fiction as well as fans of Christian romance novels. I thank the publisher for making this book available to me in exchange for my honest opinion. I received no monetary compensation for this review.
  claudia.castenir | Mar 21, 2017 |

Tracie Peterson Begins Compelling New Series Set on the 1840s Frontier

Grace Martindale has known more than her share of hardship. After her parents died, raising her two younger sisters became her responsibility. A hasty marriage to a minister who is heading to the untamed West seemed like an opportunity for a fresh start, but a cholera outbreak along the wagon trail has left Grace a widow in a very precarious position.

Having learned natural remedies and midwifery from her mother, Grace seeks an opportunity to use her skills for the benefit of others. So when she and her sisters arrive at the Whitman mission in "Oregon Country," she decides to stay rather than push on.

With the help of Alex Armistead, a French-American fur trapper, Grace begins to provide care for her neighbors, including some of the native populace. But not everyone welcomes her skills--or her presence--and soon Grace finds herself and those she loves in more danger than she imagined possible.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 29 Jan 2017 06:53:48 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,153,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible