The Angel Experiment: A Maximum Ride Novel…

The Angel Experiment: A Maximum Ride Novel (Book 1) (edition 2007)

by James Patterson

5,091181880 (4)142
Member:melissadorish
Title:The Angel Experiment: A Maximum Ride Novel (Book 1)
Authors:James Patterson
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2007), Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Series Books, Your library
Tags:science fiction, fantasy, series, flying, experiments, friendships, genetic engineering, suspense, adventure

The Angel Experiment by James Patterson

Recently added byHunterMiddle, blog_gal, private library, ladyofbadgers, tslayton, tardisgal, Tenb

The book has a great story line, but the way that the chapters are designed breaks up the natural flow of reading and tends to distract the reader. The characters are well-developed and are very interesting. There is a lot of suspense in this series, and I really enjoy that. There is also a good bit of humor. The only problem that I have is that the overall story does not seem to be suitable for the audience that it is designed for: young adults (whose readers tend to be adolesence to teenagers). The book can be a little too gruesome sometimes, but not too often. I think it is a great book for mature teenagers or older. ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
I had never read any of Patterson's children's book but I like his adult. SO, I decided to give this one a try and I am glad I did. A group of children, an evil scientist, and saving the world, well, it doesn't get much better...well, except for the mutants. ( )
  weisser4 | Jun 3, 2014 |
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

I borrowed this book from the library because my little brother has to read it in class, and I figured he might need some help understanding it with it being by James Patterson and all. This is officially my first James Patterson book and it's quite good for that age range. I have no problem that my brother will (mostly) understand it, and that he may actually enjoy it. He's not a big reader– other than Naruto, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Captain Underpants– so I should probably reserve judgement on whether he'll enjoy it, or even finish it.

"We were bird kids, a flock of six. And the Erasers wanted to kill us." (26)

Max and the rest of her mutant flock are a rare breed that have been experimented on and tortured before breaking loose and finding their safe haven. After being found and kidnapped by their torturers, they must find and keep freedom again all while searching for answers of their past and evolving their own powers. They learn that flying isn't all they can do. In a rush of fast paced adventure, Max, Fang, Gasman, Iggy, Nudge and little Angel try to survive the Whitecoats and Erasers on their journey of liberation and self-discovery.

"Sometimes it felt as if we would never be free, be safe. Never, ever, as long as we lived. Which might not be that much longer, anyway." (326)

On my part, I found the adventure that Max and her flock are thrust into, quite thrilling. On the other hand, 134 chapters Prologue Epilogue is extremely excessive, especially since the chapters were only 2-3 pages long and could have easily been combined. Perhaps this is a method by Patterson to make his young reader's feel like they have achieved a lot, but I'm not sure. I also found everything in the book to become redundant. Repetitive actions and scenarios just added more paper throughout the book and just kept putting the characters through the same ringer every time. Something else that nagged me in the book (mostly during the first, oh, 40 chapters) is how we, the reader, continued to be put through switches of point of view. Sometimes it would be in first and second person (Max) and then other times it would be in third person. After a while I just shrugged it off and ignored it because after a certain point it only continued in first person. All this being said, I did like the plot and with the unfinished ending I may, one day, seek out the next book in the series and give it a read. I'm also more interested in reading other James Patterson works as well, and as I found while browsing in the bookstore, there's a lot out there.

"Is it important to be right or is it important to do what's right? That's one of the hardest lessons to learn." (427)

First Line: "Congratulations. The fact that you're reading this means you've taken one giant step closer to surviving till you next birthday." (1)
Last Line: "You know, Voice, I thought finally, my friends are my world." (454)
---------
Quotes

"It's in my nature to fight for the underdog. Jeb had always told me it was my fatal flaw. Jeb had been right." (79)

Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

"We were bird kids, a flock of six. And the Erasers wanted to kill us." (26)

Last Line: "You know, Voice, I thought finally, my friends are my world." (454)
---------
Quotes

Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
This book was ok. I like the premise and it has some great moments. For some reason I feel like something is missing, as if it's not a complete book. It feels more like a work in progress than a completed narrative. Perhaps a little more revision would have done it some good. Overall I did enjoy the story but I don't love it. After setting the book down I said "yep, that was a story, now what?" rather than feeling like it mattered.
  HeartbreakDX | Feb 9, 2014 |
Patterson occasionally forgets his audience here, as evidenced by his sardonic tone and such glib adult asides as "they found their prey: moi," but he's picked a comfortable formula (orphans protecting one another and making a home together), which he's cushioned with an abundance of slavering beasts, childhood heartaches, and unresolved issues...
added by khuggard | editBooklist

As with Patterson's adult mystery thrillers, in-depth characterization is secondary to the fast-moving plot.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal

Carole, Brigid, and Meredith

Fly, babies, fly!
Congratulations.

WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE.
Do not put this book down. I'm dead serious—your life could depend on it.
I'm risking everything by telling you—but you need to know.

STRAP YOURSELF IN for the thrill ride you'll want to take again and again! From Death Valley, California, to the bowels of the New York City subway system, you're about to take off on a heart-stopping adventure that will blow you away....

YOUR FAITHFUL COMPANIONS: Max, Fang, Nudge, the Gasman, and Angel. Six kids who are pretty normal in most ways—except that they're 98 percent human, 2 percent bird. They grew up in a lab, living like rats in cages, but now they're free. Aside, of course, from the fact that they're prime prey for Erasers—wicked, wolflike creatures with a taste for flying humans.

THE MISSIONS: Rescue Angel from malicious mutants. Infiltrate a secret facility to track down the flock's missing parents. Scavenge for sustenance. Get revenge on an evil traitor. And save the world. If there's time.

Thriller-writing sensation James Patterson, author of the #1 New York Times bestseller When the Wind Blows, invites you on a quest full of nonstop action, adrenaline, mystery, and suspense. Want to come along for the ride?

PREPARE FOR LAUNCH: THESE PAGES FLY.

From the bestselling author of When the Wind Blows and The Lake House comes the fastest, smartest, strongest (and funniest) heroine since superheroes were invented...the incredible, indescribable MAXIMUM RIDE.

In James Patterson's blockbuster series, fourteen-year-old Maximum Ride, better known as Max, knows what it's like to soar above the world. She and all the members of the "flock"--Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman and Angel--are just like ordinary kids--only they have wings and can fly. It may seem like a dream come true to some, but their lives can morph into a living nightmare at any time...like when Angel, the youngest member of the flock, is kidnapped and taken back to the "School" where she and the others were experimented on by a crew of wack jobs. Her friends brave a journey to blazing hot Death Valley, CA, to save Angel, but soon enough, they find themselves in yet another nightmare--this one involving fighting off the half-human, half-wolf "Erasers" in New York City. Whether in the treetops of Central Park or in the bowels of the Manhattan subway system, Max and her adopted family take the ride of their lives. Along the way Max discovers from her old friend and father-figure Jeb--now her betrayed and greatest enemy--that her purpose is save the world--but can she?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:56 -0400)

After the mutant Erasers abduct the youngest member of their group, the "bird kids," who are the result of genetic experimentation, take off in pursuit and find themselves struggling to understand their own origins and purpose.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,638,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible