The Mark of the King by Jocelyn Green

The Mark of the King

by Jocelyn Green

The setting and the plot is unique, and full of fascinating details about the early French settlement in New Orleans. It tells the story of grace in the middle of dishonor and despair. It creates a fascinating picture of colonial life with the believable characters at the heart of the story. It is diffidently a "must read" for all history buffs. ( )
  Carol420 | Apr 6, 2018 |
THE MARK OF THE KING by Jocelyn Green
The premise could have been turned into a great story. This isn’t it. The writing is pedestrian, the plot turns are spur of the moment and contrived, the “Christian” part seems added on to sell books to the publishers audience. Skip this one.
1 of 5 stars ( )
  beckyhaase | Apr 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In order to regain her freedom, Julianne chooses to be one of many exiled from France to the colony of Louisiana, but even such a promising choice comes with unforeseen consequences and heartbreaks along the way even after settling into New Orleans—a place of turmoil and lawlessness. Already forced to marry a stranger before leaving the shores of France, Julianne must face one trial after another.

I was surprised with The Mark of the King because the writing did not flinch away from the attitudes and particularly vile actions of men in those times (the barn thing and Pascal in general). I haven’t read much of the French colonies, so I found Julianne’s journey interesting. Julianne, despite everything that kept happening, proved herself to be a strong, persistent woman when any other might have just called it quits. I’m glad everything worked out at the end—even if it turned out to be bittersweet.

And though I liked the story, I’m not completely satisfied with the storyline surrounding Julianne’s brother. It was just meh and not enough for me to care about, even though everything else was good. ( )
  CinaChilders | Mar 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book drew me in immediately. Jocelyn Green seamlessly weaves her fictional characters into the true history of the early settling of Louisiana. It's a very compelling story, with both likeable and non-likeable characters put together in a setting full of hardships. ( )
  PhDinHorribleness | Mar 23, 2017 |
History is among my favorite subjects; therefore historical fiction is at the top of my genre list. This book is exceptional! I never knew what a rich beginning Louisiana had. In fact, I knew very little about its beginning as a settlement. The deprivation, cruelty, and hardship of those first brave settlers shocked me. I can’t even begin to tell you how much I learned. Ms. Green weaves the historic facts and life in that era, seamlessly with her characters and their experiences.
The story begins in 1719 in Paris, France. Julianne Chevelier is a midwife and though young very skilled. An older midwife once her teacher is placed under her for the delivery of a wealthy patient which conjures up jealousy. When the mother and child die in childbirth the old midwife accuses her of murder and she is sent to prison. Julianne receives a tattoo of the Fleur de lis, which will brand her for life as a murderer. Instead of being imprisoned for life, she manages to be sent to the settlement of New Orleans. They are in great need of more people to work and establish the area. What she was hoping in the promise of new found freedom turned out to be difficulties, injustice and suffering beyond what she ever imagined.
She is forced to marry another convict and consummate their marriage in barn before leaving. She found her and the other prisoners were being sent simply to populate the colony. The details not only of their voyage to America but the beginning of their new life in Louisiana were graphic and dreadful. Lacking in supplies, food, building materials the new arrivals were expected to make a home with nothing. They lived more like animals than people, while the military was comfortable and lacked nothing. To make matters worse there were Indian wars not only with the French but also between tribes. It was a dangerous situation.
Marc-Paul Girard is a respected soldier of the King of France. Unlike the others he had character and a strong faith in God. After the death of Julianne’s husband, Marc-Paul tries to protect and help her. Romance very slowly blooms but the path it follows is not a flowery one. Instead of infatuation theirs is based on character, trust, courage and strong faith. This book will surprise, astonish, and entertain you in the very best of ways!
I was provided a review copy of this book by Chosen Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group, with no expectation of a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own. ( )
  Mizroady | Mar 14, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764219065, Paperback)

Sweeping Historical Fiction Set at the Edge of the Continent

After being imprisoned and branded for the death of her client, twenty-five-year-old midwife Julianne Chevalier trades her life sentence for exile to the fledgling 1720s French colony of Louisiana, where she hopes to be reunited with her brother, serving there as a soldier. To make the journey, though, women must be married, and Julianne is forced to wed a fellow convict.

When they arrive in New Orleans, there is no news of Benjamin, Julianne's brother, and searching for answers proves dangerous. What is behind the mystery, and does military officer Marc-Paul Girard know more than he is letting on?

With her dreams of a new life shattered, Julianne must find her way in this dangerous, rugged land, despite never being able to escape the king's mark on her shoulder that brands her a criminal beyond redemption.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 03 Oct 2016 17:36:52 -0400)

Wrongly imprisoned midwife Julianne Chevalier trades her life sentence for exile in the French colony of Louisiana in 1720, where she must make her way bearing the mark of a criminal.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jocelyn Green's book The Mark of the King was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,800,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible