A Bridge Across the Ocean by Susan Meissner

A Bridge Across the Ocean

by Susan Meissner

I'm bucking all the great reviews on this one, but I found this book sophomoric. The 2 stars are because the stories of the women during WWII were interesting. The ghost story was just silly and the "mystery," when it was solved, was beyond ridiculous. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book more than I expected. My advise to others is not to let the plot summary about paranormal activity scare you off. I liked the struggles of the present day character Brette, as well as the perspective of the WWII war brides. I found this book one I couldn't put down. I love the symbolism of the title that unfolded throughout the book. ( )
  clp412 | Jun 20, 2017 |
History with a touch of the paranormal would be a good description for this novel, which features a modern-day heroine sent on a quest to uncover the truth by a ghostly apparition. Digging into the past of WWII war brides and the voyages of the RMS Queen Mary, Brette experiences her own journey towards finding peace with herself. I will admit I liked portions of the story from the 1940s much better than the parts set in the present - in fact, I think a stronger novel could have been written without the portion of the book that takes place in the present day (but I'm not the author). Overall, a pretty good read about WWII and some lesser known parts of history. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jun 17, 2017 |
A young woman who has a "gift" for seeing ghosts is pressed to solve a child's angst over her deceased mother. What is uncovered is a post WWII cover-up by two women who outran abusive Nazi husbands and soldiers. Who is the ghost on the now retired Queen Mary? I found the plot line of the the family surrounding and supporting the gifted young woman to be a bit unbelievable. How many family members of yours would just accept that you could see or sense ghosts? I read this in one sitting and was entertained, but you need to be able to buy into the whole paranormal aspect. My thanks to the author and the Penguin First to Read program for a complimentary copy. ( )
  musichick52 | May 29, 2017 |
I give this book a five out of five stars. I loved how this went from the past and the present.this was very well done. I don't always enjoy stories that go between the past and present but this one flowed well. I never got lost. I laughed and cried during this book. I loved the characters. I received an ebook copy of this book from Firsttoread for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Apr 18, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,649,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible