The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde

The Canterville Ghost (1887)

by Oscar Wilde

Recently added byPablo_Aimat, Pablo_, private library, eyelevelbooks, GISELA28, AllanMGagnon, Despouys, Befsztyk

English (35)  Spanish (8)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (46)
An overly confident and not easily scared American family moves into a haunted British castle. The British caretakers know to fear the ghost that has caused as much chaos in life as he does death. The American children do not fear the nasty spirit that is running out of scare tactics to frighten the family. The American’s daughter finds a connection to the ghost that may bring him peace.

I read this after I read The Picture Of Dorian Grey and I have never seen the movies based on this short story so my mind had no real thoughts on the story except that I knew it was supposed to be humorous. Again the author, Oscar Wilde, bring description like an artist brings paint to a canvas. The details are lovely and even in slow parts there is beauty in them

Something is missing in this compared to TPODG. I knew this was supposed to be funny and thought there would be some laugh out loud moments. For me there wasn’t I could not fully connect maybe because this story was a commentary on British nobility. I just felt more a disconnect reading TCG then I did TPODG.

There are very few classic authors I like. Even though I thought The Canterville Ghost was okay a not great I will still try to read more Oscar Wilde at this point. His writing is a treasure. ( )
  lavenderagate | Jun 12, 2018 |
Not your typical ghost story! This family deals with ghosts in their new home in a most unusual way, with hilarious results. I literally lol-ed a couple of times. Only four issues on Serial Reader. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
Since I am generally not a huge fan of horror novels, this satirical and occasionally creepy novella was the perfect Autumn read for me. Wilde did an excellent job of putting a new spin on the haunted house theme by switching up the traditionally expected reactions of some characters. There also was an interplay between stereotypical American culture and British aristocracy, that added a few interesting twists and turns. I won't say more, lest I give away too much of the plot.

In addition, the Audible narration by BJ Harrison was great fun!! I didn't expect much for a purchase price of under one dollar, but was pleasantly surprised! My only minor quibble was the occasional error in wording (when compared to the public domain book) but it wasn't enough to detract from my overall enjoyment of the audio version.

Four stars and recommended to those who want a quick Halloween read, that isn't heavy on the gore or horror. ( )
  Lisa805 | Nov 17, 2017 |
This story was surprisingly adorable. I knew Oscar Wilde wrote some comedic plays, but I thought the Canterville Ghost was going to be spooky. I was expecting a Washington Irving or Edgar Allen Poe type story. I was pleasantly surprised by a cute story of a grumpy old ghost who is outspooked by the American family that has bought the Canterville's haunted home.
This was seriously the perfect story to kick off this Halloween season. ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
It was great re - reading The Canterville Ghost. I've always loved this story and never get tired of Sir Simon and Canterville Chase. This is a perfect book to read when it's raining and there's a log fire in the hearth. Pleasant memories with this one. ( )
  Arkrayder | Jun 25, 2017 |

Oscar Wildeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Degas, RupertNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gómez de la Serna, JulioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tourlonias, JoëlleIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zwerger, LisbethIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When Mr. Hiram B. Otis, the American Minister, bought Canterville Chase, every one told him he was doing a very foolish thing, as there was no doubt at all that the place was haunted.
We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language.

Este ebook presenta El fantasma de Canterville (Edicin completa), con un sumario dinmico y detallado.El fantasma de Canterville, es un relato escrito por Oscar Wilde y publicado por primera vez en 1887. A lo largo del libro, los lectores tienen la posibilidad de conocer la flamante realidad de los Otis, un sofisticado clan norteamericano que decide comprar un antiguo castillo ingls que supo ser propiedad de los Canterville. La familia est formada por Hiram B. Otis, embajador estadounidense y jefe del grupo, su esposa Lucrecia R. Topan y sus hijos Washington, Virginia, Bandas y Estrellas. Ni la revelacin del viejo due?o del lugar, quien les confiesa que all vive desde tiempos inmemoriales el fantasma de Lord Simon Canterville, hace cambiar al grupo de opinin. Sin embargo, a diferencia de lo que podra suponerse, los Otis no sienten temor ante el espectro. Por el contrario, el fantasma de Canterville se convierte en una especie de juguete para los ms peque?os de la mansin, quienes no dudan en burlarse del alma en pena. Slo Virginia intenta ayudar al fantasma a pagar sus faltas para que, por fin, pueda dejar este mundo en paz.Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900) fue un escritor, poeta y dramaturgo irlands. Wilde es considerado uno de los dramaturgos ms destacados del Londres victoriano tardo; adems, fue una celebridad de la poca debido a su gran y aguzado ingenio. Hoy en da, es recordado por sus epigramas, sus obras de teatro y la tragedia de su encarcelamiento, seguida de su temprana muerte.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,132,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible