Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind (original 1970; edition 1973)

by Shunryu Suzuki

Member:jburlinson
Title:Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind
Authors:Shunryu Suzuki
Info:Weatherhill (1973), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 132 pages
Tags:Mysticism

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki (1970)

English (20)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (22)
Z E N

Before we were born we had no feeling; we were one with the universe. This is called "mind-only," or "essence of mind," or "big mind," After we are separated by birth from this oneness, as the water falling from the waterfall is separated by the wind and rocks, then we have feeling. You have difficulty because you have feeling. You attach to the feeling you have without knowing just how this kind of feeling is created. When you do not realize that you are one with the river, or one with the universe, you have fear. Whether it is separated into drops or not, water is water. Our life and death are the same thing. When we realize this fact we have no fear of death anymore, and we have no actual difficulty in our life. ( )
  mariusgm | Sep 12, 2014 |
My favorite book ever. i found it while in Mexico, amongst a sparse shelf of English books. I'd had no luck with meditation prior, and this made it all make sense. I still practice and always will. My life changed as a result of this book. ( )
  Ra.Aiyana | Sep 1, 2014 |
Sparked my transformative journey towards progressive relaxation and awareness. Thank you. ( )
  Michael.Bradham | Sep 2, 2013 |
This is a book I could probably re-read quiet a few times. ( )
  lcalvin83 | Aug 7, 2013 |
Internet UPC Database
  FreeBeard | Jul 26, 2013 |
To my Master

Gyokujun So-On-Daiosho

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0834800799, Paperback)

A respected Zen master in Japan and founder of the San Francisco Zen Center, Shunryu Suzuki has blazed a path in American Buddhism like few others. He is the master who climbs down from the pages of the koan books and answers your questions face to face. If not face to face, you can at least find the answers as recorded in Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, a transcription of juicy excerpts from his lectures. From diverse topics such as transience of the world, sudden enlightenment, and the nuts and bolts of meditation, Suzuki always returns to the idea of beginner's mind, a recognition that our original nature is our true nature. With beginner's mind, we dedicate ourselves to sincere practice, without the thought of gaining anything special. Day to day life becomes our Zen training, and we discover that "to study Buddhism is to study ourselves." And to know our true selves is to be enlightened. --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:38 -0400)

Zen mind is one of those enigmatic phrases used by Zen teachers to throw you back upon yourself, to make you go behind the words themselves and begin wondering. "Is it what I am doing now? Is it what I am thinking now?" The innocence of this first inquiry--just asking what you are--is beginner's mind. The mind of the beginner is needed throughout Zen practice. It is the open mind, the attitude that includes both doubt and possibility, the ability to see things always as fresh and new. It is needed in all aspects of life. This book originated from a series of talks given by Zen Master Shunryu Suzuki to a small group is California. His approach is informal, and he draws his examples from ordinary events and common sense.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,030,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible