Life After: A Novel by Katie Ganshert

Life After: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Katie Ganshert (Author)

Member:scoutlee
Title:Life After: A Novel
Authors:Katie Ganshert (Author)
Info:WaterBrook (2017), 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read 2017, new release 2017, fathers and daughters, fathers and sons, grief and loss, contemporary fiction, ebook 2017, life changing events, second chance, best of 2017

Life After: A Novel by Katie Ganshert

Autumn lives with survivor's guilt that threatens her existence and miraculous survival of Tragedy on the Tracks. With terrorism and crazy people threatening our safety everyday this novel was very contemporary and thought provoking. As Autumn resurfaces to life you are struck by how complex grief and loss is for each person who suffered loss that day. ( )
  mootzymom | Jun 7, 2017 |
Every American thirty years of age or older should be able to relate to Life After, as they recall life after 9/11/2001. Many younger Americans may also be able to relate to life after a number of subsequent national tragedies or life after any personal tragedy. Unfortunately, life means sometimes searching for life after. Fortunately, we have a Lord and Savior who weeps with us and who leads us forward.
One year later, Autumn Manning, the sole survivor of a train bombing that took the lives of twenty-two others in Chicago, has become obsessed with the lives of those left behind as well as the lives cut short. Her family is concerned that she may never find her way out of all that plagues her, but they cannot understand the guilt that is mounting in Autumn’s core. While her family tries their own intervention, they could never imagine the form in which help would arrive.
Katie Ganshert tackles the difficult themes of evil that brings pain and loss to people who have done nothing to bring them upon themselves and coping with false, undeserved guilt. She does so with understanding, compassion, and by helping readers gain a more accurate view of God and a more accurate view of themselves.
Thank you, Waterbrook and NetGalley for providing me a copy of Life After in exchange for my honest opinion, I highly recommend this book. ( )
  claudia.castenir | May 27, 2017 |
When a bomb rips through an e-train in Chicago, Autumn Manning survives the attack. But she suffers from a severe case of survivor guilt. And she questions 'Why?' over and over again.

Autumn begins to search out the families of the twenty-two individuals who died in the fiery crash. She meets Paul Elliott, who is overly cautious of Autumn, for the sake of protecting his daughter and son, who lost their mother in the attack.

This is one of those books you don't want to put down. You are taken through the gamut of emotions, even if you want to put the book down, you simply can't. You are so embroiled in the tale that you must keep on reading. Through the good. Through the bad. Through the loss. Through the pain. And more.

Ganshert is another excellent storyteller. She puts you in the leading role. And all I can say is hold on tight. It's a wild ride. And worthy every moment spending reading this novel.

I give it five stars,

a big thumbs up,

and my recommendation.

You can purchase the book on Amazon.com. The hardback copy retails for $35.95 and qualifies for free shipping and handling; the paperback retails for $9.27, plus shipping and handling, and the Kindle version is $9.99.

This reviewer read the Uncorrected Proof, and as such the final printing may differ slightly than the version reviewed here.

****DISCLAIMER: This book was provided by Amazon Vine in exchange for a fair and impartial review. The opinions above are solely those of this reviewer and may not reflect those of other reviewers. ( )
  texicanwife | May 8, 2017 |
Autumn boards a train and minutes later wakes up in a hospital with no memory of what happened after she left work. She is the lone survivor from the crash, caused by a bomber. She's racked with survivor guilt and can't seem to get past the thought of all of the people who didn't make it like she did. Her obsession leads her to a family that lost their wife and mother on the train that day. To complicate matters, she was initially mistaken for this woman and Paul, the husband, had come to identify her at the hospital. Paul just wants to move on, Autumn is stuck in time. The two are force to work together and as they do, healing happens.

I absolutely loved this story. The emotions were so raw, the drama so real. The author did a great job of pulling me into the story and I couldn't put the book down. The authenticity made me feel like each scene was actually happening as I read. The characters were flawed, wounded, and yet likeable. The plot was incredibly original and well thought out. The author wove so many inspirational and faith based messages into the story, but I didn't once feel overpowered or preached at. I have no idea what genre this story would be placed in, but I do know that it is a story that I will be recommending to everyone, regardless of their reading preferences. It's just that good.

I received a copy of this book. All thoughts expressed are my own. ( )
  tmurrell | Apr 19, 2017 |
"Cold stuck to her skin. She yearned for a hot cup of tea. A long soak in a warm bath. Something that might chase away the coldness that had seeped inside her bones long before she stepped outside." (2)

Everyone must read Life After by Katie Ganshert. If you decide not to read the rest of my review, at least get that first sentence. You must read this book. Life After is my favorite read so far in 2017, and can easily make its way to one of my top reads of ALL time. Back to the book. Life After takes you on an emotional journey, diving into the world of mass tragedy and survivors' guilt. What's more, it's not only survivors of the immediate tragedy, but also survivors in the sense of those left behind. What is life after for those affected? How will you find closure to the many "what ifs"?

"We rarely will know when death will come." (1)

When I first read Life After, I didn't expect the memories and feelings that it would evoke. I didn't expect to be become a bubbling mess, but the author's masterful portrayal of every emotion from the sole survivor, Autumn and those that were left behind, but with so many unanswered questions were spot on. You see, I understood. I've seen. I've heard and I've witnessed.

Life After's story is set in Chicago where a train explosion claim the lives of all but one. Despite the different circumstances, the author gave survivors of all types of tragedies a voice - a voice that reigns true and honest. Along with the message of God's comfort, Life After is beautiful as it is powerful. There will be stories within stories, with subplots that doesn't take away from the theme of "life after," but finding resolution in one's heart.

Sometimes, one step at a time, one day at a time, and know that He is the God of comfort, may be all we as survivors need - because we all are survivors.

"Life is hard, and almost always confusing. but one day we'll see clearly. One day it'll all make sense." (126)

For the full review, head to the original post at Just Commonly blog.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the author/publisher. I was not required to write a positive review, and have not been compensated for this. This is my honest opinion. ( )
  justcommonly | Apr 19, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,214,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible