The Lonely Hearts Hotel by Heather O'Neill

The Lonely Hearts Hotel

by Heather O'Neill

two extra ordinary orphans are separated by life events and then find each other again to start their own circus/hotel with their incredible abilities. ( )
  chapterthree | May 31, 2018 |
Such an odd book that I don't know after finishing it if I like it or not. The early part of the childhood of Rose and Pierrot seemed to go on to long. Then at times I liked them both so much but as the novel progresses, I liked them less.I think we are suppose to be confused by these two characters as each of their endings are quite sad. Like their lives were.
I did like the Montreal vibe in the book and life in downtown Montreal during the Depression and prior to WWll.
The style of writing was interesting too with short , choppy sentences almost childlike. ( )
  Smits | Apr 27, 2018 |
Loved this book! ( )
  Tiffy_Reads | Mar 19, 2018 |
Take The Night Circus. Subtract the fantastical elements. Subtract the vivid descriptions. Make the writing style more precious. Add some truly horrific content. And you'll wind up with this book.

I normally like books that make me cringe, but this one crosses a line for me, and something about the weird juxtaposition of the narrative voice and the content just makes it worse. A quaint sort of writing style that describes child rape and abuse? No thank you. ( )
  bucketofrhymes | Dec 13, 2017 |
So weird yet brilliant! The book is full of the paradoxes it celebrates. Matter of factly discussing sexual encounters, poverty, loneliness, crime and corruption. The subject matter is disturbing but the book carries along without dwelling on it. Sex and its disparity of power and love and meaninglessness and bonds, love and obsession, power struggles for women who had nothing, roaring twenties into Great Depression. I couldn't read it but I couldn't put it down! This book is not a romance but it is a love story. It might appear to be a beach read but it is crammed with symbolism and themes and motifs and insight on life. It is too much to say I loved it, but I admire it immensely and think it deserves critical acclaim for its ingenuity and writing. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Dec 3, 2017 |

"With echoes of The Night Circus, a spellbinding story about two gifted orphans -in love with each other since they can remember-whose childhood talents allow them to rewrite their future. The Lonely Hearts Hotel is a love story with the power of legend. An unparalleled tale of charismatic pianos, invisible dance partners, radicalized chorus girls, drug-addicted musicians, brooding clowns, and an underworld whose economy hinges on the price of a kiss. In a landscape like this, it takes great creative gifts to thwart one's origins. It might also take true love. Two babies are abandoned in a Montreal orphanage in the winter of 1914. Before long, their talents emerge: Pierrot is a piano prodigy; Rose lights up even the dreariest room with her dancing and comedy. As they travel around the city performing clown routines, the children fall in love with each other and dream up a plan for the most extraordinary and seductive circus show the world has ever seen. Separated as teenagers, sent off to work as servants during the Great Depression, both descend into the city's underworld, dabbling in sex, drugs and theft in order to survive. But when Rose and Pierrot finally reunite beneath the snowflakes -after years of searching and desperate poverty -the possibilities of their childhood dreams are renewed, and they'll go to extreme lengths to make them come true. Soon, Rose, Pierrot and their troupe of clowns and chorus girls have hit New York, commanding the stage as well as the alleys, and neither the theater nor the underworld will ever look the same. With her musical language and extravagantly realized world, Heather O'Neill enchants us with a novel so magical there is no escaping its spell"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,013,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible