When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

When Dimple Met Rishi (edition 2017)

by Sandhya Menon

Member:foggidawn
Title:When Dimple Met Rishi
Authors:Sandhya Menon
Info:New York : Simon Pulse, 2017.
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:YA, romance, california, read october 2017

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

I!! REALLY!! LOVED!! THIS!! BOOK!!

full review closer to release date. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
This was such a cute book! It’s been getting such great reviews, so when I saw that the author was signing at ALA, I told my husband about the book, knowing that he’d love a copy for his classroom. Even with all the hype, this book does not disappoint! I love how Dimple is so focused on her career and is incredibly straightforward and honest, and how that’s matched by Rishi’s dreamy, romantic personality. Reading about them working together and becoming “friends” and eventually falling in love with each other is a treat unlike any other.

When Dimple Met Rishi is basically a YA Indian rom com, and it is fabulous. I seriously hope this gets made into a movie or something, because it would be great for the big screen. Menon does a great job in portraying that awkward post-high school pre-college vibe where everyone is trying to be grown up and adult, but they’re still stuck in some high school ways and don’t quite know how to act or what to do. It makes for some alternately hilarious and super awkward situations, and it’s absolutely perfect. The characters have different personalities, so how they react to finally being an “adult” and going away to college is different. Dimple just wants to get out on her own, so she’s ready to get away from her parents and start on her own path, so she calls occasionally, but mostly revels in her freedom. Rishi, on the other hand, isn’t chafing under his parents’ influence; he welcomes their input and their guidance, so he calls regularly to update them and very much includes them in his process of making a plan for himself for college. That sort of complexity is what really makes this book shine and keeps it interesting.

The characters, however, are by far the best. I feel like I jumped right into the story and became friends with them; the tone of the book is light and airy, even though Dimple is trying to do a serious thing and jump-start her career. It’s a quick, fun read, and I laughed out loud a couple of times in the story. Basically, what I’m saying is that if you like romantic comedies, read this book! Keep these diverse books coming, publishers!

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | Aug 25, 2017 |
I should start off by saying that I do not typically read YA. I have always been more inclined to read adult fiction, even when I was the target audience for YA. Thus, when I do read YA, I try to judge lightly. I know I'm not the target audience and I know it's not my usual thing.

I decided to pick up When Dimple Met Rishi because two different ladies on Booktube praised this book as being a NEW type of feminist YA. "Dimple's into coding!!" "She's letting nothing--not even a boy--stop her from pursuing her dreams!!" "She don't need no man!!"

A YA book about a strong female character pursuing a career in coding with feminist themes? OK cool. I'm game. I put myself on hold at the library and wait.

When Dimple Met Rishi is the story of Dimple, an Indian-American 18-year-old who is headed off to a coding camp the summer before she starts college at Stanford University. Her parents have selected a husband for her and believe college is merely a stepping stone in her preparation for marriage, but Dimple is not into their plans. Her focus is to go to coding camp and create an app to win the camp prize: a mentorship with her idol, app designer extraordinaire Jenny Lindt.

When she arrives at camp she discovers that her parents agreed to pay for camp only because her husband-to-be Rishi is attending as well. At first, she is furious and even more so when she discovers she and Rishi have to be partners for the entire summer. But Rishi is eager to please and a short time later (like a week later), they are developing feelings for each other. Soon, Dimple is reconsidering what she really wants out of life.

So how was the NEW type of YA book? It was very anti-climatic.

There's a brief discussion of the coding camp and the coding project Dimple and Rishi are working on at the start of the book and then a mention of them working on it in the middle of the book. We also spend a few chapters on the end of the coding project as part of the denouement.

The rest of the book is spent on Dimple and Rishi's relationship and also on a talent show that is held at coding camp.

I can't tell if the Booktube ladies called this feminist YA because they truly think it is or if the usual YA they read is so completely ridiculous that this seems like a breath of fresh air.

I did like reading a book about Indian-American characters written by an Indian-American author, but otherwise this YA seemed rather typical, insta-love included. I mean both of these characters are 18, but they're acting like they have their whole lives figured out! It boggles my mind!

I liked the book, but I didn't love it. It was a fast read and it was cute, but overall it was a letdown for me. Le sigh, the problem of buying into the hype. ( )
1 vote emilyesears | Aug 24, 2017 |
Dimple and Rishi meet at Insomnia Con, a summer app development competition. The story, told in alternating sections from each of the narrators, traces the relationship between the two main characters. Dimple is passionate about coding and headed to Stanford in the fall. Rishi goes to the camp to meet Dimple, their parents are old friends have been plotting an arranged marriage between their children.
The relationship is a rocky one at first. As the two get to know each other friendship and sparks grow. There is a love scene, but it is pretty tame. It's a fun, romantic read that explores issues of gender, privilege, culture in a coming of age story. ( )
  ewyatt | Aug 19, 2017 |
Dimple just needs to get out of the house, with her mother constantly foisting eyeliner and dreams of the IIH (Ideal Indian Husband) on her, to InsomniaCon., a six week coding conference where the winning final project gets to work with Dimple’s idol, Jenny Lindt, to develop and market an app. Rishi is also going to Insomnia Con…to meet Dimple, the girl their parents have arranged to be his wife (a fact about which Dimple is completely unaware). As the novel comes to a head, Dimple has to choose between following her passion for coding and web development and a growing passion for Rishi….or does she?

Full review: http://lisaannreads.wpengine.com/review-when-dimple-met-rishi/ ( )
  ImLisaAnn | Aug 17, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,621,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible