We Were the Lucky Ones: A Novel by Georgia…

We Were the Lucky Ones: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Georgia Hunter (Author)

Member:Donna828
Title:We Were the Lucky Ones: A Novel
Authors:Georgia Hunter (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2018), Edition: Reprint, 416 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Holocaust, Poland, Read in 2018

We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter

This story is based on the family of the author. The horrors of the holocaust were overcome by this family who survived them. Unbelievable cruelty done to these people, such a horrible time in history. You have to ask yourself how this could possibly happen, and yet it did. ( )
  myers3 | Nov 8, 2018 |
As I read this I kept saying this is clearly fiction. How could this Polish Jewish family survive all the harrowing nightmares World War II put in their way. And then I get to the afterword and find out the story is true, that it is based on the author’s family. ( )
  brangwinn | Sep 30, 2018 |
What an incredible story of perseverence and family loyalty. The will to live found in jewish people during the Holocost is astounding. This is a true story of the Kurc family’s story of survival during the second world war. It was told by various members of the family and took us to Russia, France, Palestine, Brazil. Toward the end of the book, I was so anxious for the war to end so I could read how this family survived this horrible time. If you like WWII holocost survivors stories, this book is recommended. ( )
  janismack | Sep 7, 2018 |
This will possibly be my favorite book of the year. Georgia Hunter has created a truly beautiful and deeply moving tribute to her own family, who faced the horrors of the Holocaust head on. Stories passed along from generation to generation, coupled with the well-researched knowledge of the atrocities of WWII, come alive to the reader as we follow the lives of these characters who actually existed. This is a family to fall in love with. Their story of unbreakable courage, strength found within the bond of a family, and a relentless will to survive will take your breath away. ( )
  cvaughan0708 | Aug 28, 2018 |
This family memoir in the form of a novel is gripping right from the first page. You may think you have read enough WWII novels, but don’t leave this one out. The story is agonizing in its setting of course—1939 Poland, but the stories Hunter weaves of her relatives as they separate and come together over 8 years during WWII in Europe and beyond is wrenching and inspiring. Rigorously researched with living family, family archives and Holocaust survivor data, Hunter fictionalizes the telling to create a connected story and propels the reader forward after each encounter. The characters are real, and many of the scenarios are retellings from their memories. Hunter’s writing style is delicious and compelling. I want more! Perhaps she will tackle the post war generation next. ( )
  beebeereads | Aug 11, 2018 |
By the end of the Holocaust, 90 percent of Poland's three million Jews were annihilated; of the more than thirty thousand Jews who lived in Radom, fewer than three hundred survived.
To my husband, Robert Farinholt, with all of my heart. And to my grandfather, with love and wonderment.
It wasn't his plan to stay up all night.

“Reading Georgia Hunter’s We Were the Lucky Ones is like being swung heart first into history. . . . A brave and mesmerizing debut, and a truly tremendous accomplishment.” —Paula McLain, New York Times bestselling author of The Paris Wife

An extraordinary, propulsive novel based on the true story of a family of Polish Jews who are separated at the start of the Second World War, determined to survive—and to reunite

It is the spring of 1939 and three generations of the Kurc family are doing their best to live normal lives, even as the shadow of war grows closer. The talk around the family Seder table is of new babies and budding romance, not of the increasing hardships threatening Jews in their hometown of Radom, Poland. But soon the horrors overtaking Europe will become inescapable and the Kurcs will be flung to the far corners of the world, each desperately trying to navigate his or her own path to safety.

A novel of breathtaking sweep and scope that spans five continents and six years and transports readers from the jazz clubs of Paris to Kraków’s most brutal prison to the ports of Northern Africa and the farthest reaches of the Siberian gulag, We Were the Lucky Ones demonstrates how in the face of the twentieth century’s darkest moment, the human spirit can find a way to survive, and even triumph.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 06 Oct 2016 14:40:13 -0400)

In the spring of 1939 and three generations of the Kurc family are doing their best to live normal lives, even as the shadow of war grows closer. The talk around the family Seder table is of new babies and budding romance, not of the increasing hardships threatening Jews in their hometown of Radom, Poland. But soon the horrors overtaking Europe will become inescapable and the Kurcs will be flung to the far corners of the world, each desperately trying to navigate his or her own path to safety. As one sibling is forced into exile, another attempts to flee the continent, while others struggle to escape certain death, either by working grueling hours on empty stomachs in the factories of the ghetto or by hiding as gentiles in plain sight. Driven by an unwavering will to survive and by the fear that they may never see one another again, the Kurcs must rely on hope, ingenuity, and inner strength to persevere.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,142,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible