dismiss

Priestdaddy: A Memoir by Patricia Lockwood

Priestdaddy: A Memoir (edition 2018)

by Patricia Lockwood (Author)

Father Greg Lockwood is unlike any Catholic priest you have ever met, a man who lounges in boxer shorts, loves action movies, and whose constant jamming on the guitar reverberates "like a whole band dying in a plane crash in 1972." His daughter is an irreverent poet who long ago left the Church's country. When an unexpected crisis leads her and her husband to move back into her parents' rectory, their two worlds collide. In Priestdaddy, Lockwood interweaves emblematic moments from her childhood and adolescence, from an ill-fated family hunting trip and an abortion clinic sit-in where her father was arrested to her involvement in a cultlike Catholic youth group, with scenes that chronicle the eight-month adventure she and her husband had in her parents' household after a decade of living on their own. Lockwood details her education of a seminarian who is also living at the rectory, tries to explain Catholicism to her husband, who is mystified by its bloodthirstiness and arcane laws, and encounters a mysterious substance on a hotel bed with her mother. Lockwood pivots from the raunchy to the sublime, from the comic to the deeply serious, exploring issues of belief, belonging, and personhood. Priestdaddy is an entertaining, unforgettable portrait of a deeply odd religious upbringing, and how one balances a hard-won identity with the weight of family and tradition.… (more)
Member:grunin
Title:Priestdaddy: A Memoir
Authors:Patricia Lockwood (Author)
Info:Riverhead Books (2018), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages
Tags:Autobiography, read

Priestdaddy by Patricia Lockwood

The World's Largest Man: A Memoir by Harrison Scott Key (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: The fathers in these two books are very similar, although Lockwood tempers her humor with a lot of honesty and introspection, while Key keeps things humorous (and more shallow).

The book was interesting but in many places it was confusing Towards the end of the book, I really wasn't sure of what was happening or what the author was trying to say.

I do understand this is a memoir, and that her family is pretty far off the societal range of normalcy.... but she is creative in her writing.

Lockwood touches upon how her father found religion after he was married w/ children and became an ordained Catholic Priest.

However, I found his proclivity for sitting around in his less than concealing underwear with his legs spread in front of his family & certain guests, was at the least very crude and bordering on abusive.... and is not something that I am able to unsee.

Her mother, I found to be interesting with a subtle wit & wry sense of humor, which I'm sure was necessary in order to keep herself semi-sane.

Little was written about Lockwood's siblings or her husband, whom she met online and certainly I didn't find the author to have much of a presence other than as an active observer recording decidedly odd miscellaneous occurrences in her family's life.

Certainly this book isn't for everyone, if even a large audience, but as I stated, it was interesting, even if I might have missed a few points throughout, as I was waiting for something moving/poignant/important to happen. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Mar 9, 2020 |
This is a poet's memoir of a strange and stressful childhood, and it reads like both -- something written by a poet, and something written by a survivor. At times, particularly in the earlier sections of the book, it is laugh-out-loud funny. Most of the time, the language is a pleasure to read: the author's precision in describing physical things and emotional states is noteworthy. Why four stars rather than five? Sometimes, particularly in the later parts of the book, the language takes over, and it is not exactly clear what is going on. I enjoyed the book and would recommend it, but would recommend it carefully. Not everyone is going to like this book. ( )
  annbury | Feb 22, 2020 |
bought for Lori 2017 ( )
  Overgaard | Dec 17, 2019 |
I just finished this book and, while I'm going to rate it a 5 (okay, 4.5) before I read the other reviews, I have at the same time quite mixed feelings. Her writing style is confusing - at times beautifully, gorgeously poetic; yet at others snarky, tongue-in-cheek - the sort of writing you find when people who write blogs with banner ads churn out the innuendo to make money. These sections were also reeking with sex, concealed with the snarky humor. It was bewildering, and I kept expecting a horrific denouement at the end to explain it all - one that, of course, never came.

And yet my most overwhelming feeling is that there's something terribly wrong with her father that she's concealing with this mixture. ( )
  bobbieharv | Oct 26, 2019 |
Although I follow Patricia Lockwoood on Twitter, I didn't really know anything about her before reading this. I didn't know she was a poet. I'd just heard this book was really funny, which it is, but it's more serious than I expected. I didn't expect it to be so philosophical and introspective. And I didn't have any idea it would be so well-written. She is so talented! ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,651,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible