Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Rules for Hearts by Sara Ryan

The Rules for Hearts (2007)

by Sara Ryan

1931191,632 (3.57)3

The Rules for Hearts by Sara Ryan is the sequel to Empress of the World. It's not, though, a continuation of the summer romance between Nic and Battle. Rather, this is Battle's story of reuniting with her brother.

Battle has moved to Oregon to attend college. She has moved in with her brother and his thespian roommates. As the youngest and newest house member, she is the third wheel.

Like Empress of the World, the chapters are rather episodic — one challenge after another for Battle to face as she learns how to live on her own, tries to fit in with the household and discovers her brother's dark secrets.

If there is an over reaching plot arc, it's the presentation of a play put on by the housemates, and run by Meryl. It's a rather quiet and short novel — something to linger over. ( )
  pussreboots | Jul 21, 2013 |
Nicely plotted, however I found it a little tough to keep the multitudinous cast of secondary characters straight in my head without flipping back. There are some interesting things missing from this book, and their absence makes the whole stronger, I think. Explores relationships and trust in looping, meandering curves. Set in Portland, so it was also fun to try to pick out places I knew. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Battle leaves for college three months early in order to spend the summer with her brother, who ran away from home five years ago. But Nick is not the older brother she remembered so fondly. Battle becomes involved in a theatre group centered around the co-op in which Nick lives, as she falls into a relationship and learns who Nick is now.

Not as good as the first one. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Jun 4, 2012 |
The Rules for Hearts is Sara Ryan's second novel and companion novel to Empress of the World. TRfH follows Battle Hall Davies, the secondary character in Empress of the World. This novel follows her to Portland, Oregon where she finds herself staying in a house that I can only refer to as dysfunction junction. Originally, I thought this novel would be about Nicola and Battle after leaving summer camp but this took a whole different approach. It was a decent book overall but I wouldn't read it again. ( )
  roselanhe | May 15, 2011 |
The main character is named Battle. I liked her observations of people and a lot of the phrases used by all of the characters throughout the book. The end has no final conclusion. You figure out the ending on your own, but there are no new revelations or satisfying final moments. They just move on – like real live, but I was left unsure if I wanted to know more or not. Strong themes in this story are Battle’s family issues, straight and gay sexuality, communal living and you need some knowledge of Shakespeare. AHS/LB
  edspicer | Sep 21, 2009 |

Battle Hall Davies is sure of some things: she’s going to Reed; she loves girls; and her older brother, Nick, is cooler than she could ever be. Nick ran away when Battle was in high school, and four years later, he’s tracked her down. Now she’s spending her summer before college in "Forest House," the co-op where he lives in Portland. Battle is quickly swept into Forest House’s community Shakespeare production, its all-night card games, and the arms of her new roommate, Meryl. It turns out that Nick isn’t who Battle thought he was—and Battle’s not who she thought she was, either.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:38 -0400)

Battle Hall Davies' brother Nick ran away from home when she was in high school. Now he has found her and she is going to stay with him for the summer before starting college. Battle discovers that neither she nor her brother is the person she thought they were.… (more)

Sara Ryan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,479,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible