Anything Is Possible

by Elizabeth Strout

Series: Lucy Barton (2)

"Anything Is Possible explores the whole range of human emotion through the intimate dramas of people struggling to understand themselves and others. Here are two sisters: One trades self-respect for a wealthy husband while the other finds in the pages of a book a kindred spirit who changes her life. The janitor at the local school has his faith tested in an encounter with an isolated man he has come to help; a grown daughter longs for mother love even as she comes to accept her mother's happiness in a foreign country; and the adult Lucy Barton (the heroine of My Name Is Lucy Barton, the author's celebrated New York Times bestseller) returns to visit her siblings after seventeen years of absence. Reverberating with the deep bonds of family, and the hope that comes with reconciliation, Anything Is Possible again underscores Elizabeth Strout's place as one of America's most respected and cherished authors"--Amazon.com.… (more)

English (87)  Spanish (3)  Italian (3)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (95)
The stories from Amgash are loosely intertwined with characters alternately taking the focus and also seen secondarily from other points of view in other stories. The quality of the collection is a bit uneven, but overall the writing is superb. Fair warning though, I found the stories mostly devastatingly sad and depressing. A couple in particular staggered me, and I won’t be able to forget them. While not a pleasant view of the human condition, reading them gives you a more charitable view of people, their hidden traumas and how they’ve coped or haven’t. ( )
  Misprint | Aug 31, 2020 |
Always find Elizabeth Strout's stories amazing especially her short stories. She has the ability to paint a picture of a slice of time for her subject with minimal words but each word is so well chosen that to say anything more would spoil the story. The people she gives us are so real it is almost like she is writing about someone we know. She achieves this in her short stories by writing about background characters from her other books enabling her to center her short stories in a manner that allows the characters to blossom beyond the confines normally dictated by a short story.

I always look forward to a new Elizabeth Strout book as I know she will give the reader a simple but still complex story that will touch the reader on so many different levels that when they are through reading it they will feel satisfied yet wish she had written more to satisfy our hunger. To me this book is Elizabeth Strout at her best as a short story writer. ( )
  can44okie | Aug 28, 2020 |
Although I am a fan of some of Elizabeth Strout’s books, I was behind the ball and just recently finally read “My Name is Lucy Barton”. I figured I should make sure to read it prior to reading the follow-up book of “Anything is Possible”. “My Name is Lucy Barton” was only a 3 star read for me and unfortunately the same is true for this one. I’m not reader of compilations of short stories and feel that was really what this book was - that probably influenced my rating. I do enjoy some of the writing itself, but the characters and storylines just didn’t pull me in. It took me way too long to read such a short book so that personally tells me a lot. If I had loved it, I would have read a book this size in just a few days. I’m truly hoping her next book, with a brand new set of characters, will make me fall back in love with Strout’s writing.

Thank you to Random House and Net Galley for an advanced copy of this book in return for an honest review. ( )
  lynnski723 | Aug 6, 2020 |
  kristi_test_02 | Jun 16, 2020 |
couldn't finish! Became very disjointed and cofusing ( )
  marylovesbooks | May 25, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For my brother, Jon Strout
Tommy Guptill had once owned a dairy farm, which he'd inherited from his father, and which was about two miles from the town of Amgash, Illinois.
This was the skin that protected you from the world--this loving of another person you shared your life with.
And you have always taken up so much space in my heart that it has sometimes felt to be a burden.
What puzzled Abel about life was how much one forgot but then lived with anyway--like phantom limbs, he supposed.
Right behind it was the last of the day's full light; generously, the colors from the setting sun sprayed upward over the open sky.
Panic, like a large minnow darting upstream, moved back and forth inside him.

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER * An unforgettable cast of small-town characters copes with love and loss in this new work of fiction by #1 bestselling author and Pulitzer Prize winner Elizabeth Strout.

Recalling Olive Kitteridge in its richness, structure, and complexity, Anything Is Possible explores the whole range of human emotion through the intimate dramas of people struggling to understand themselves and others.

Reverberating with the deep bonds of family, and the hope that comes with reconciliation, Anything Is Possible again underscores Elizabeth Strout's place as one of America's most respected and cherished authors.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,579,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible