Anything Is Possible: A Novel by Elizabeth…

Anything Is Possible: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Elizabeth Strout (Author)

Member:ElyPublicLibrary
Title:Anything Is Possible: A Novel
Authors:Elizabeth Strout (Author)
Info:Random House (2017), 272 pages
Collections:New Books

Anything is Possible by Elizabeth Strout

This is a collection of short stories that expand on the family and neighbors Lucy and her mother talked about in My Name is Lucy Barton. And even though I was lukewarm about that book, Anything is Possible just blew me away. Strout's ability to capture fragile moments that define the relationships between people and their community had me thinking of Eudora Welty, it's that good. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 18, 2017 |
Brilliant book. It is so good to read her books. Mostly I complain that books are too long but this book could have done with another 100 pages. ( )
  shazjhb | Jun 14, 2017 |
Elizabeth Strout's books and I have been a hit or miss combination. I loved Olive Kitteridge. The Burgess Boyswas for me. Then came My Name is Lucy Barton whcih leads me to Anything is Possible, a companion to My Name is Lucy Barton. Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, I find that Anything is Possible is not the book for me. I am truly disappointed because I loved My Name if Lucy Barton.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2017/06/anything-is-possible.html

Reviewed for NetGalley ( )
  njmom3 | Jun 6, 2017 |
I am sorry that I cannot add my voice to those who are singing the praises of Anything Is Possible. There is much that is positive here: the novel is fast-paced and the situations realistic so you keep reading, but to believe that you are seeing deep character development is an illusion. Once I was about three-quarters through the book, I started having difficulty distinguishing one character from another and grew disappointed that almost everyone's story turned on sex and deprivation of some sort, whether it was poverty or a lack of love or both. Sex, food and money are cornerstones to almost everyone's life, but there are so many characters and they are all dealt with so briefly that the sexual situations especially seemed to begin to ring false. While at first they were believable and added to our understanding of the character, the accumulation of so many stories of loveless marriages, sexual torment or deprivation, began to feel sensationalistic. I began engrossed, but by the end I was speeding through the book just to finish. I feel bad about this because I wanted to like the older man, Abel Blaine, in the last story and to root for him, but I was so annoyed at what I considered to be the facile introduction of the unbalanced actor that if there is any deeper meaning there (perhaps some parallel between Blaine and the actor and the meaning of the Christmas Carol), I couldn't be bothered to sort it out. ( )
  PatsyMurray | May 31, 2017 |
Elizabeth Strout is an amazing author. Her talent for writing interesting, realistic characters is nothing short of amazing. Similar to Olive Kitteridge, Anything is Possible is a series of stories revolving around Lucy Barton, the main character in Strout's last book. The interweaving of characters was masterfully done and left you wanting to have a diagram to see how all of the characters were interrelated. Amazing book. I want to go back and re-read it in a few months just to get everything I can our of the characters. ( )
  smallwonder56 | May 30, 2017 |
For my brother, Jon Strout
Tommy Guptill had once owned a dairy farm, which he'd inherited from his father, and which was about two miles from the town of Amgash, Illinois.
This was the skin that protected you from the world--this loving of another person you shared your life with.
And you have always taken up so much space in my heart that it has sometimes felt to be a burden.
What puzzled Abel about life was how much one forgot but then lived with anyway--like phantom limbs, he supposed.

From #1 New York Times bestselling author and Pulitzer Prize winner Elizabeth Strout comes a brilliant latticework of fiction reminiscent of Olive Kitteridge.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 09 Oct 2016 12:12:38 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,218,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible