Justice League (2016-) Vol. 1: The…

Justice League (2016-) Vol. 1: The Extinction Machines (edition 2017)

by Bryan Hitch (Author), Tony Daniel (Illustrator)

"A part of DC Universe: Rebirth! Spinning directly out of the events of DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH, a new day dawns for the Justice League as they welcome a slew of new members into their ranks. The question remains though, can the world's greatest superheroes trust these new recruits? And will the members of League be able to come together against an ancient evil that threatens to reclaim not just the world, but the entire universe! Masterful storytelling, epic action, and unbelievable art come together in JUSTICE LEAGUE from best-selling comic book writer Bryan Hitch (JLA) and superstar artist Tony S. Daniel (BATMAN, DETECTIVE COMICS)"--… (more)
Member:Martin_Maenza
Title:Justice League (2016-) Vol. 1: The Extinction Machines
Authors:Bryan Hitch (Author)
Other authors:Tony Daniel (Illustrator)
Info:DC (2017), 168 pages
Rating:**
Tags:comics

Justice League (Rebirth) Vol. 1: The Extinction Machines by Bryan Hitch

Full review to come! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
I received this from Edelweiss and DC Comics in exchange for an honest review.

2 stars, barely.

This was an overly simplistic plot that really fails to capitalize on the actual superheroes. They're there, but with the exception of Aquaman, Superman, the GLs, and Cyborg, they do an awful lot of just standing around and talking. At times, it felt more like the Super Friends than the Justice League. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |
Pgs: 168
Dewey: 741.5973 JUS
Disposition: Irving Public Library - South Campus - Irving, TX

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
Vast interstellar, long lived intelligences are coming for the Earth. The Extinction Machines and The Kindred will take the Earth, harvest its peoples, and leave it devastated. Giant spaceborne monsters are coming. And vast people golems are rising. Humanity and their planet may not survive. If their heroes can forge themselves into a team, two rookie Green Lanterns and an unproven multiversal counterpart of Superman, the young Cyborg, along with veterans, Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash, and Aquaman, their world may survive. It may break. But it may survive.
Genre:
Comics
Graphic Novels
Trade Paperbacks
Science Fiction
Superheroes

Why this book:
I love the Justice League. They were my first comic book. Even though this League and most of the various Leagues through the years have little true resemblance to that halcyon remembered experience.

Favorite Character:
Superman.

Least Favorite Character:
Batman. The untrustworthiness that he splatters on everyone around him wore thin many years ago. He isn’t well done in any team book going back for many, many years.

Character I Most Identified With:

The Feel:
Standard superhero fare. Not bad, but not making my eyes jump out either.

Favorite Scene / Quote:
The Atlantis Zodiac Crystals are a great continuity device to throw old sods a bone with.

The Cyborg reveal is bad assed. It steps through the standard fare window, right there.

Pacing:
Better paced than most of the “write for the TPB” stuff that goes on in comics.

Hmm Moments:
The giant space monster/reaper looks like a flea with Cloverfield overtones.

Wonder if The Kindred are related to the Wildstorm Kindred? If it is, it’s a very different version of The Kindred than we’ve ever seen before.

I like the Green Lantern teamof Baz and Cruz. I’m not up to date on GL mythos. Do all sectors have multiple GLs now?

WTF Moments:
Are The Purge, the Extinction Machines, and The Kindred, all one and the same? Or are they at loggerheads over the people and the planet with the JLA caught in the middle.

Missed Opportunity:
Not giving us the “wow, I’m a member of the Justice League” POV that Jessica Cruz could have given us.

Would love a scene right at the end of one of these where the villain says something along the lines of “this is the last Crisis” and Batman and the Spectre start laughing unsettling everyone around them.

Last Page Sound:
I liked this. When it kicked up a notch, it went much better.

Editorial Assessment:
Shame we’re as deep into this as we are when we get that bad assed Cyborg reveal. That would have pushed the envelope. Wish they had pushed this button earlier on. This could have been edited better.

Knee Jerk Reaction:
glad I read it
_________________________________________________ ( )
  texascheeseman | Nov 29, 2017 |
A fast-paced action-packed superhero story. With all the team members active in this there is little personal communication or character development so we just hang on to the edge of our seats and go for the ride. It's never made clear just what or why the threat actually is, but the JL finds a way to stop it in the end. A fast-ride but nothing meaty. ( )
  ElizaJane | Nov 12, 2017 |
Tried to like this but neither the art nor the writing drew me in to make me care for much of this.

I like the Superman family stuff & the Aquaman bits rang truer, but those were the only characters that didn't fail for me here. Almost all others were mannequins controlled by the plot even if they looked like recognizable heroes. The villains (or at least the antagonists) had so little motivation or clarity to them, they were set dressing to act against.

Sadly disappointing as I wanted to like this. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,529,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible