A Civil Contract by Georgette Heyer

A Civil Contract (1961)

by Georgette Heyer

English (49)  German (1)  All languages (50)
A thoroughly enjoyable Regency about a marriage of convenience, without the breathless and alarming situations of the typical entry in this genre.

It also has deeper characters and situations, but I've come to expect those from this author. I'm keeping this for a later reread. ( )
  fuzzi | Feb 1, 2018 |
I’ve owned most of Georgette Heyer’s Regency romances in paper form for many years now, and they’re something of a comfort read for me. I’m slowly collecting the Kindle editions as they appear in various deals. They’re light and undemanding, and as Heyer was something of an expert on Regency England the plots and the dialogue ring true unlike many so-called historical romances which read more like 20th century women in fancy dress (quite apart from the gratuitous sex). This one is one of my favourites.

Set in 1814 & 1815, Adam Deverill has to return urgently to England from the Peninsular following the sudden death of his father, Vicount Lynton, in a hunting accident. The family are in dire financial straits, and Adam has to try and ensure his sisters don’t suffer. He is in love with Julia Oversly, the daughter of a neighbour, but in truth he cannot support a wife - it’s likely he will have to sell the family estates. However, a different course is proposed to him: marry Jenny Chawleigh, the only child of a very vulgar but fabulously wealthy Cit and he can keep his estates and provide for his sisters in the bargain.

The story covers about 18 months, and ends just after Waterloo. Adam and Jenny must come to understand each other, deal with Mr Chawleigh who is inclined to ride rough-shod over everyone, and deal with Adam’s family. An arranged marriage matures into contentment and love, if not the passion Adam felt for Julia.

Recommended.
1 vote Maddz | Nov 13, 2017 |
The Napoleonic Wars have been going on for years and now Lynley must live up to his family heritage by selling out his commission in the Peninslar War and returning to England to try to save his family estate and reputation.

A relaxing read just what the doctor ordered. But, it did make me go back and take a look at what, when and how long the wars went on, mostly because of George III’s view of his place in world events and finance. Sometimes I like to pull back the curtain of romance to see its place in its time.
198 ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jul 11, 2017 |
Nearly bankrupt member of the gentry has to marry the gently-reared daughter of a "Cit" to restore his fortunes. Good characterisation of the heroine and the family she marries into; a realistic look at a commonsense solution to insolvency. Not amongst my most favourite of Heyer's stories, but enjoyable. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jul 8, 2017 |
Not the best Heyer novel I’ve come across. Many scenes are dull, owing to rambling conversations about next to nothing, though some quality moments are mixed in here and there, especially if the hero’s sister Lydia is present. She’s my favourite character.

As likeable as the hero and heroine are, they’re somewhat bland. If they were real they’re the sort of people you’d want for friends, but they lack the charisma needed for fiction.

My main issue is the amount of description given over to clothes and buildings. At times it reads like a nineteenth-century fashion show fused with interior decorating ideas. This doesn’t make for an entertaining story.

We also get too much detail on what Napoleon’s up to. The backdrop to his activities does have relevance to the main plot, but the amount of detail is too digressive.

The ending was apt and I liked it. The novel overall proved a disappointment. ( )
  PhilSyphe | May 10, 2017 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nash, PhyllidaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Pat Wallace with Love
The library at Fontley Priory, like most of the principal apartments in the sprawling building, looked to the south-east, commanding a prospect of informal gardens and a plantation of poplars, which acted as a wind-break and screened from view the monotony of the fen beyond.

Adam Deveril, a hero of Salamanca, returns from the Peninsula War to find his family on the brink of ruin and the broad acres of his ancestral home mortgaged to the hilt.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:53 -0400)

Adam Deveril, the Viscount Lynton, returns from the Peninsular War to find his family on the brink of ruin and the broad acres of his ancestral home mortgaged. He soon realises that the drastic measure of marriage is the only answer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,959,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible