A Civil Contract by Georgette Heyer

A Civil Contract (original 1961; edition 2009)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:SharonGoforth
Title:A Civil Contract
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:HQN Books (2009), Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:fiction, 20th century, english, novel, regency, georgette heyer

A Civil Contract by Georgette Heyer (1961)

Recently added byCatalyst42, aimeeelva, private library, GanneC, Irena., Elsket, SueinCyprus, LT_Ammar

English (36)  German (1)  All languages (37)
Not quite the standard Heyer Regency romance; in this novel, Adam - a young Viscount - returns from the war to find that his late father's estate was deeply in debt. He cannot marry his childhood sweetheart, Julia, so is persuaded - rather against his better judgement - to marry a shy and rather awkward girl whom he barely knows, but who is a great heiress with an extremely wealthy father.

I wasn't all that keen on this book, when I first read it in my twenties. It seemed somehow prosaic and unromantic, a bit like the marriage that's featured. However, every time I have re-read it, I find that I like it better. Most recently I found one or two sections extremely moving. I was aware of the author's amazing characterisation skills that brought not just the main characters but others of their family and friends alive in my mind. There's plenty of humour too, such as the heroine's father - a caricature, admittedly - who is quite vulgar, yet extremely good-hearted and generous.

All in all, I now count this highly amongst my Heyer collection. There's a bit too much war talk for my tastes, and some financial discussion that went way over my head. Nonetheless, I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes light historical fiction. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
A fun read, as always. I wish I felt more convinced of Adam's feelings for Jenny, but they were both likable characters and it was an interesting take on the marriage of convenience plot. ( )
  Tafadhali | Nov 18, 2015 |
More thought-provoking than most of Georgette Heyer's romances, featuring a marriage of convenience at its centre. Recommended for Heyer fans. ( )
  cazfrancis | Mar 8, 2015 |
Lambert Says! A portrait of a marriage in the late Regency era. I love this book, but I have always thought this should be titled The Convenient Marriage and the Convenient Marriage called Civil Contract.
  CarriePalmer | May 2, 2014 |
I started this one on audio, but wasn't getting a lot of time to listen and was impatient to know what would happen next in the story of Jenny and Adam so I bought the Kindle version to finish the last 150 pages or so. It is not as overtly comical as many of Heyer's Regency works, but there is still humor, mostly provided by the impossibly vulgar but lovable Jonathan Chawleigh. At heart, this is a story of growing up and growing out of youthful passion and into respectful and sensible adulthood. And that was my one problem with it. I spent a few hundred pages watching the story develop and waiting for Adam to realize just how wonderful Jenny was, and while he did come to appreciate her, there was no great "AHA!" moment, and, being a romantic at heart, I kind of wished there had been. It would have made up for a lot of annoyance I felt at Adam through much of the book. As it was, I felt let down by the ending and what could have been a really wonderful 4.5 star read for me lost a bit at the end. Still, worth a look if you like Heyer and her type. ( )
  katiekrug | Oct 15, 2013 |
To Pat Wallace with Love
The library at Fontley Priory, like most of the principal apartments in the sprawling building, looked to the south-east, commanding a prospect of informal gardens and a plantation of poplars, which acted as a wind-break and screened from view the monotony of the fen beyond.

Adam Deveril, a hero of Salamanca, returns from the Peninsula War to find his family on the brink of ruin and the broad acres of his ancestral home mortgaged to the hilt.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:53 -0400)

Adam Deveril, the Viscount Lynton, returns from the Peninsular War to find his family on the brink of ruin and the broad acres of his ancestral home mortgaged. He soon realises that the drastic measure of marriage is the only answer.

87 wanted2 pay5 pay

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,206,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible