A Civil Contract by Georgette Heyer

A Civil Contract (original 1961; edition 2009)

by Georgette Heyer

1,018358,346 (4)66
Member:SharonGoforth
Title:A Civil Contract
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:HQN Books (2009), Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:fiction, 20th century, english, novel, regency, georgette heyer

A Civil Contract by Georgette Heyer (1961)

English (34)  German (1)  All languages (35)
More thought-provoking than most of Georgette Heyer's romances, featuring a marriage of convenience at its centre. Recommended for Heyer fans. ( )
  cazfrancis | Mar 8, 2015 |
Lambert Says! A portrait of a marriage in the late Regency era. I love this book, but I have always thought this should be titled The Convenient Marriage and the Convenient Marriage called Civil Contract.
  CarriePalmer | May 2, 2014 |
I started this one on audio, but wasn't getting a lot of time to listen and was impatient to know what would happen next in the story of Jenny and Adam so I bought the Kindle version to finish the last 150 pages or so. It is not as overtly comical as many of Heyer's Regency works, but there is still humor, mostly provided by the impossibly vulgar but lovable Jonathan Chawleigh. At heart, this is a story of growing up and growing out of youthful passion and into respectful and sensible adulthood. And that was my one problem with it. I spent a few hundred pages watching the story develop and waiting for Adam to realize just how wonderful Jenny was, and while he did come to appreciate her, there was no great "AHA!" moment, and, being a romantic at heart, I kind of wished there had been. It would have made up for a lot of annoyance I felt at Adam through much of the book. As it was, I felt let down by the ending and what could have been a really wonderful 4.5 star read for me lost a bit at the end. Still, worth a look if you like Heyer and her type. ( )
  katiekrug | Oct 15, 2013 |
A masterful job by Georgette Heyer that deserves to be liberated from the "Regency romance" ghetto and considered as serious fiction. It's not really even a romance, given that the main characters marry for money and nothing else. We watch them grow, however, into a sort of love based upon their strong commitment and sense of honor. Very touching, with a dose of humor delivered by the bride's impressively vulgar father. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
2.5 stars. Meh.

I like Jenny, I like Jenny a lot. But I don't like Adam, and I don't like the plot. I was far more interested in Lydia and Brough, and Julia and Rockhill. This started as a marriage of convenience, and ended as one. Bore! ( )
  lovelylime | Sep 21, 2013 |
To Pat Wallace with Love
The library at Fontley Priory, like most of the principal apartments in the sprawling building, looked to the south-east, commanding a prospect of informal gardens and a plantation of poplars, which acted as a wind-break and screened from view the monotony of the fen beyond.

Adam Deveril, a hero of Salamanca, returns from the Peninsula War to find his family on the brink of ruin and the broad acres of his ancestral home mortgaged to the hilt.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:58 -0400)

Adam Deveril, the Viscount Lynton, returns from the Peninsular War to find his family on the brink of ruin and the broad acres of his ancestral home mortgaged. He soon realises that the drastic measure of marriage is the only answer.

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,167,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible