dismiss

Born a Crime: Stories from a South African…

Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood (original 2016; edition 2019)

by Trevor Noah (Author)

2,9192223,286 (4.35)332
#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER - The compelling, inspiring, and comically sublime story of one man's coming-of-age, set during the twilight of apartheid and the tumultuous days of freedom that followedNAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BYMichiko Kakutani, New York Times - Newsday - Esquire - NPR - BooklistTrevor Noah's unlikely path from apartheid South Africa to the desk of The Daily Show began with a criminal act: his birth. Trevor was born to a white Swiss father and a black Xhosa mother at a time when such a union was punishable by five years in prison. Living proof of his parents' indiscretion, Trevor was kept mostly indoors for the earliest years of his life, bound by the extreme and often absurd measures his mother took to hide him from a government that could, at any moment, steal him away. Finally liberated by the end of South Africa's tyrannical white rule, Trevor and his mother set forth on a grand adventure, living openly and freely and embracing the opportunities won by a centuries-long struggle.Born a Crime is the story of a mischievous young boy who grows into a restless young man as he struggles to find himself in a world where he was never supposed to exist. It is also the story of that young man's relationship with his fearless, rebellious, and fervently religious mother--his teammate, a woman determined to save her son from the cycle of poverty, violence, and abuse that would ultimately threaten her own life.The stories collected here are by turns hilarious, dramatic, and deeply affecting. Whether subsisting on caterpillars for dinner during hard times, being thrown from a moving car during an attempted kidnapping, or just trying to survive the life-and-death pitfalls of dating in high school, Trevor illuminates his curious world with an incisive wit and unflinching honesty. His stories weave together to form a moving and searingly funny portrait of a boy making his way through a damaged world in a dangerous time, armed only with a keen sense of humor and a mother's unconventional, unconditional love.Praise for Born a Crime " A] compelling new memoir . . . By turns alarming, sad and funny, Trevor Noah's] book provides a harrowing look, through the prism of Mr. Noah's family, at life in South Africa under apartheid. . . . Born a Crime is not just an unnerving account of growing up in South Africa under apartheid, but a love letter to the author's remarkable mother."--Michiko Kakutani, The New York Times" An] unforgettable memoir."--Parade "What makes Born a Crime such a soul-nourishing pleasure, even with all its darker edges and perilous turns, is reading Noah recount in brisk, warmly conversational prose how he learned to negotiate his way through the bullying and ostracism. . . . What also helped was having a mother like Patricia Nombuyiselo Noah. . . . Consider Born a Crime another such gift to her--and an enormous gift to the rest of us."--USA Today" Noah] thrives with the help of his astonishingly fearless mother. . . . Their fierce bond makes this story soar."--People… (more)
Member:peopleslibrary
Title:Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood
Authors:Trevor Noah (Author)
Info:One World (2019), Edition: Reprint, 304 pages

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah (Author) (2016)

English (216)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (219)
I absolutely loved this! Now I feel like I need to listen to it on audiobook to get the full effect. Go out and get a copy of this book. You won’t regret it. ( )
  jocelynelise_ | Aug 10, 2020 |
This was amazing. I do not understand how there are people who thought this was bad. My first thought is that it's white people who just don't/won't get what growing up black is like, but I don't want to be that person.

As a black woman growing up in racist America, even I cannot imagine what it was like to grow up like Trevor did. Apartheid... I just can't imagine. I've experienced racism, but DAMN! I thought this was a brilliant story about his life and the fact that he was unapologetic made it that much better. Why should he apologize? And no wonder he turned to comedy. Yikes! His life was fully a humor, but sadness and fear were very prevalent. I cried when he spoke about his mother being shot and how he thought he had lost her. I was so angry that nothing was ever done about his waste of space step-father. The only parts I skipped were anything with the dogs being abused, or if/when they died. I cannot do animal abuse or death even if the death is just of old age.

Excellent listen. ( )
  Virago77 | Aug 8, 2020 |
Born a Crime slips around the timeline of Trevor Noah's young life in a series of pointed, autobiographical essays. Three moral themes bind these essays into a whole: Judge less. Work hard. Love more. Where these themes converge we find Patricia Nombuyiselo Noah, Trevor's remarkable mother.

Noah has a gift for making South African culture relatable to a Euro-American reader. The way he shares this gift through this work demonstrates humility, work ethic, and love for others. I recommend this book. ( )
  CKHarwood | Aug 6, 2020 |
Listening to Trevor Noah tell his story of growing up in South Africa is a stunning combination of raw honesty, resiliency, pathos, and humor. His courage shines throughout. ( )
  Lisa_Francine | Aug 5, 2020 |
An amazing autobiography about his pre-adult life in apartheid South Africa. Noah gives a unique perspective into the construct of race, given his white and African parents. More than anything, it’s his mom that lays the foundation for what he becomes. Through brute force, she opens opportunities that he takes with great awareness and energy. What a closing story with the gunshot too! ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |

Noah, TrevorAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Noah, TrevorNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bronswijk, Ineke vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oostindiër, AnnoesjkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlatterer, HeikeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Studios, AudiblePublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother. My first fan. Thank you for making me a man.
The genius of apartheid was convincing people who were the overwhelming majority to turn on each other.

This book highlights critical issues on racism in africa

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,245,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible