Fucking Apostrophes by Simon Griffin

Fucking Apostrophes

by Simon Griffin

O little book, you have amused me.

This short little book covers apostrophe usage with little asides like:
“See that fence over there? Take a nice comfy seat on it with me and watch them fight it out. The important thing is to know the meaning of each one, and remember, it’s just a fucking apostrophe.”

I should mention that this book covers current British usage, so North Americans may argue with some of it, but I’ve been noticing that NA has been following the British trends in apostrophe usage more and more anyway, so it may just be a matter of time. Also, although Griffin acknowledges the changing usages over time, he doesn’t really cover the evolution. It’s a really short book. I don’t regret getting it though.

Perfect for grammar geeks and those who appreciate a good swear. Some sections are best read out loud to unsuspecting people. ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
The Assistant Principle I share an office with showed me this book for its audacious title, and when I saw it at the bookshop, of course I had to buy it; both for its audacity and its content since I have become a grammar nerd.

Can I just tell you, it's a great little book! Only about 50 pages or so, Griffin keeps things very concise and very easy to reference. He keeps it simple: each chapter is an instance where apostrophes are used (omission, possession, etc.) and he shows examples of each in context, as well as examples and 'translations' of what wrong usage looks like. If apostrophe usage is a grey area, he offers a short explanation of why.

At the end, "in case you couldn't be bothered to read the last 50 pages" he includes a short reference listing the examples of what apostrophe to use and when, with more examples. Those examples, by the way, make learning the grammar fun. A couple of examples:

The men's team swapped samples.

Walter's teachers manual said nothing about cooking meth.

My only complaint is that he does abuse the humour of the title itself: after awhile the phrase "fucking apostrophe", used for every instance of apostrophe in a book about them, becomes a little tired and loses its humorous impact. Humor aside, this is going to be a handy little reference book for those times we're stumped on whether or not something calls for an apostrophe. ( )
  murderbydeath | Dec 31, 2016 |
Fucking Apostrophes by Simon Griffin is laugh out loud funny and is a book for book-lovers, teachers, librarians, grammarians and pedants everywhere; provided you're not offended by the 'f' word that is.

This is a stunning A6 size clothbound guide to the correct use of apostrophes that makes for very entertaining reading.

Griffin uses contemporary and up to the minute references to current affairs to demonstrate both correct and incorrect usage of the apostrophe and it makes for very easy reading.

Griffin's sense of humour shines through on every page, however he also manages to present a handy educational tool that's easily referenced and a pleasure to dip into again. This little gem no doubt falls into the gift book genre, but could easily sit under the self-help or writing genre.

I loved Fucking Apostrophes by Simon Griffin and recommend it widely. Only for adult audiences though.

* Copy courtesy of Allen & Unwin * ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Dec 4, 2016 |

A hilarious, furious and profoundly useful short guide to the most maddening punctuation in English.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,923,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible