Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Death by Black Hole : And Other Cosmic…

Death by Black Hole : And Other Cosmic Quandaries (edition 2007)

by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Member:flying_monkeys
Title:Death by Black Hole : And Other Cosmic Quandaries
Authors:Neil deGrasse Tyson
Info:New York : W.W. Norton, c2007.
Collections:To read, Borrow(ed)
Tags:science, *someday

Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries by Neil deGrasse Tyson

English (34)  Czech (1)  All languages (35)
a fablous collection of NdT's writings. I listened to this on audio and was barely hanging on but was continually entertained and enlightened. Only downside, it wasn't read by the author himself. 8/10 ( )
  mahsdad | Jun 23, 2018 |
Fantastic book. Lots of things to learn. Neil discusses several things that I wasn't aware of. I read this on my way to work and it did bring me out of the ordinary life to the exciting things in the cosmos. Neil's way of explaining things and wit are excellent. ( )
  chrysedonia | Apr 26, 2018 |
A collection of essays on the cosmos, written by American Museum of Natural History astrophysicist, Neil deGrasse Tyson. ( )
  jrthebutler | Dec 29, 2016 |
A collection of essays by one of the best science popularizers of our time. It's not just about black holes; it's about a lot of different science topics, including astronomy, skepticism, and history of science. It's all very informative and accessible, and each essay is short enough that it's not overwhelming. Recommended.

A note on the audio: Dion Graham is a fantastic narrator, but I really wish Tyson had read his own book. Ever since watching Cosmos I've wanted him to read me bedtime stories about the marvels of the universe. ( )
1 vote melydia | Dec 16, 2016 |
Superb, wonderful, this book is to Tyson what Cosmos was to Sagan. An absolute must-read for any science lover, either beginner or with formal education. ( )
  yakov.perelman | May 18, 2016 |
My own suspicion is that the Universe

is not only queerer than we suppose,

but queerer than we can suppose.

—J. B. S. HALDANE

Possible Worlds (1927)
Preface

I see the universe not as a collection of objects, theories, and phenomena, but as a vast stage of actors driven by intricate twists of story line and plot.

A vibrant collection of essays on the cosmos from the nation's best-known astrophysicist. “One of today’s best popularizers of science.”—Kirkus Reviews.

Loyal readers of the monthly "Universe" essays in Natural History magazine have long recognized Neil deGrasse Tyson's talent for guiding them through the mysteries of the cosmos with stunning clarity and almost childlike enthusiasm. Here, Tyson compiles his favorite essays across a myriad of cosmic topics. The title essay introduces readers to the physics of black holes by explaining the gory details of what would happen to your body if you fell into one. "Holy Wars" examines the needless friction between science and religion in the context of historical conflicts. "The Search for Life in the Universe" explores astral life from the frontiers of astrobiology. And "Hollywood Nights" assails the movie industry's feeble efforts to get its night skies right.

Known for his ability to blend content, accessibility, and humor, Tyson is a natural teacher who simplifies some of the most complex concepts in astrophysics while simultaneously sharing his infectious excitement about our universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:14 -0400)

A collection of essays on the cosmos, written by an American Museum of Natural History astrophysicist, includes "Holy Wars," "Ends of the World," and "Hollywood Nights."

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393062244, 0393330168

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,530,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible