Vannet by Arnaldur Indriðason,
Member:MagnusEnger
Title:Vannet
Authors:Arnaldur Indriðason,
Other authors:Silje Beite Løken (Overs.), Ivar Nørve (Innl.)
Info:[Oslo] : Cappelen Damm, 2008
Collections:Read in 2010
Tags:fiction, crime, iceland

The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indriðason (2004)

English (40)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  Norwegian (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (53)
I hesitate to rank this book because so many people had such high praise for it and I don't. Maybe I'm missing something. Perhaps this book was not the best choice for me to make a decision about this author.

I found the names difficult to get around...therefore the characters became rather muddy for me. I will try another selection from this author, perhaps an earlier piece. ( )

LouisaK | Feb 2, 2016 |
Read this out of sequence. May be preferable to read this Scandanavian detective series in order of publication since Eva Lind's troubles carry through each book as a subplot (fairly minor in this book but there is allusion to events concerning her from the previous unread book). That Erlendur specializes in missing persons cases gives this dectective series a twist. They also tend to be cold cases set in a cold country (Iceland). The cold war aspect of this case was interesting. It also interesting how the author goes back and forth between the past and present and brings them together with the resolution of the crime. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
In The Draining Lake, Arnaldur took what really happened to Lake Kleifarvatn and made it a springboard for a fascinating mystery. It's not just the searching for the identity of a skeleton discovered because the water level has fallen enough (the phone conversation between the discoverer and the person to whom she tries to report it made me chuckle). The action moves back and forth between the present-day investigation and East Germany in the early 1950s.

I was born in 1954, so I do remember the Cold War, but not, of course, that period. The East Germany chapters are from the viewpoint of an idealistic and naive Icelandic college student. He is a very committed Marxist socialist, one of several who have received funding to study abroad. Tomas is able to rationalize the problems with life under Soviet rule for a long time, but his eyes are eventually opened. Of course these flashbacks have something to do with the skeleton. I'm afraid my immediate reaction to the identity of the skeleton and the reason behind his death was very un-Christian: I thought it served him right.

Inspector Erlendur is obsessed with discovering the fate of a man who went missing in 1968. He may or may not have become the skeleton in the lake, but he left behind a fiancée who has never recovered from his disappearance. It doesn't help that the officer involved in the original investigation was/is lazy.

There are conversations between the inspector and his grown children. Erlendur learns that his daughter told his son the story about their uncle who went missing when he and their father were children. Erlendur wants to give up on helping his addicted daughter, but his son says she needs him. There's a development with the unhappily married woman with whom Erlendur has not been having an affair, but has been seeing often enough that his colleagues assume she's his lady.

Erlendur learns useful information from his mentor, whose years as a heavy smoker have caught up with him. The dying man still wants a cigarette. Erlendur won't give him one, but continues smoking himself. (No, his own nicotine addiction does not give the inspector any insight into his daughter's drug addiction. Pity.)

I recommend this book to lovers of good mysteries and social history. George Guidall's narration is engaging. ( )
  JalenV | Aug 11, 2015 |
Realistically told, emotionally charged, and brimming with compassion, The Draining Lake is likely to challenge the reader’s values system. For this reviewer, at least, Indridason’s latest English-translated novel is one of the highlights of 2007. Although it’s full of pathos, the book also makes clear just how strong the human spirit is, and reminds us that the flip-side of friendship is far from pleasant. It can sometimes be hard to distinguish comrade from foe -- a person can be both at the same time....I wait patiently for the next Arnaldur Indridason/Bernard Scudder collaboration to arrive in bookstores. This is crime fiction at its most insightful, poetic and poignant

Indridason's novels are an undiluted pleasure....this series places Indridason at the centre of the best of contemporary crime fiction. He is a master storyteller, and has a real gift for evoking the complex humanity at the heart of the most dour-seeming individuals.

Arnaldur Indriðasonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Éric BouryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lembek, KimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rexford, JustinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scudder, BernardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Slaap maar, ik ben dol op je (uit een volksliedje)
She stood motionless for a long time, staring at the bones as if it should not be possible for them to be there. Any more than for her.

Inspector Erlendur returns in this international Bestseller

Following an earthquake, the water level of an Icelandic lake suddenly falls, revealing a skeleton. Inspector Erlendur's investigation takes him back to the Cold War era, when bright, left-wing students in Iceland were sent to study in the "heavenly state" of Communist East Germany. Teeming with spies and informants, though, their "heavenly state" becomes a nightmare of betrayal and murder. Brilliantly weaving international espionage and a chilling cold case investigation, The Draining Lake is Arnaldur Indridason at his best.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:52 -0400)

Following an earthquake, the water level of an Icelandic lake suddenly falls, revealing a skeleton. Inspector Erlendur's investigation takes him back to the cold war era, when bright, left-wing students in Iceland were sent to study in the "heavenly state" of Communist East Germany. Teeming with spies and informants, though, their "heavenly state" becomes a nightmare of betrayal and murder. Brilliantly weaving international espionage and a chilling cold-case investigation, The Draining Lake is Arnaldur Indri?ason at his best.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 3,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible