Vannet by Arnaldur Indriðason,
1,219566,537 (3.82)80
Member:MagnusEnger
Title:Vannet
Authors:Arnaldur Indriðason,
Other authors:Silje Beite Løken (Overs.), Ivar Nørve (Innl.)
Info:[Oslo] : Cappelen Damm, 2008
Collections:Read in 2010
Tags:fiction, crime, iceland

The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indriðason (2004)

English (43)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  Norwegian (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (56)
The Draining Lake continues the series about Iceland and Detective Erlendur who lives alone and worries about his daughter, a drug addict that sporadically turns up at his apartment and then disappears into the darkness. His latest case involves a skeleton found in a lake that has drained due to an earthquake. The body has been weighed down by a heavy radio device bearing inscriptions in Russian. Erlendur's investigation takes him back to the Cold War era, when bright, left-wing students were sent to study in the GDR. When one of the students goes missing, the detectives follow a long cold trail that leads back to Iceland, international espionage, and murder. There are many twists and turns in all of Indrioason's novels and this one is no exception. Iceland is described in such detail that the reader feels as if they live there themselves. This was a great read and I look forward to the next novel. ( )
  Hanneri | Aug 20, 2016 |
An intriguing story of finding out who the person is that was found as a skeleton in a shallow lake years later. From the interweaved stories of students in Leipzig in the 60's, we suspect it's one of them, but piecing it together so many years after the act takes time, and a quiet ingenuity that seems to be a hallmark of these books featuring Detective Erlendur. They rely less on gore and action, and dig instead into the twists of peoples lives, which I find satisfying.  ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
I hesitate to rank this book because so many people had such high praise for it and I don't. Maybe I'm missing something. Perhaps this book was not the best choice for me to make a decision about this author.

I found the names difficult to get around...therefore the characters became rather muddy for me. I will try another selection from this author, perhaps an earlier piece. ( )

LouisaK | Feb 2, 2016 |
Realistically told, emotionally charged, and brimming with compassion, The Draining Lake is likely to challenge the reader’s values system. For this reviewer, at least, Indridason’s latest English-translated novel is one of the highlights of 2007. Although it’s full of pathos, the book also makes clear just how strong the human spirit is, and reminds us that the flip-side of friendship is far from pleasant. It can sometimes be hard to distinguish comrade from foe -- a person can be both at the same time....I wait patiently for the next Arnaldur Indridason/Bernard Scudder collaboration to arrive in bookstores. This is crime fiction at its most insightful, poetic and poignant

Indridason's novels are an undiluted pleasure....this series places Indridason at the centre of the best of contemporary crime fiction. He is a master storyteller, and has a real gift for evoking the complex humanity at the heart of the most dour-seeming individuals.

Arnaldur Indriðasonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Éric BouryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lembek, KimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rexford, JustinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scudder, BernardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scudder, BernardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Slaap maar, ik ben dol op je (uit een volksliedje)
She stood motionless for a long time, staring at the bones as if it should not be possible for them to be there. Any more than for her.

Inspector Erlendur returns in this international Bestseller

Following an earthquake, the water level of an Icelandic lake suddenly falls, revealing a skeleton. Inspector Erlendur's investigation takes him back to the Cold War era, when bright, left-wing students in Iceland were sent to study in the "heavenly state" of Communist East Germany. Teeming with spies and informants, though, their "heavenly state" becomes a nightmare of betrayal and murder. Brilliantly weaving international espionage and a chilling cold case investigation, The Draining Lake is Arnaldur Indridason at his best.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:52 -0400)

Following an earthquake, the water level of an Icelandic lake suddenly falls, revealing a skeleton. Inspector Erlendur's investigation takes him back to the cold war era, when bright, left-wing students in Iceland were sent to study in the "heavenly state" of Communist East Germany. Teeming with spies and informants, though, their "heavenly state" becomes a nightmare of betrayal and murder. Brilliantly weaving international espionage and a chilling cold-case investigation, The Draining Lake is Arnaldur Indri?ason at his best.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,108,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible