dismiss

The Silent Corner: A Novel of Suspense by…

The Silent Corner: A Novel of Suspense (edition 2017)

by Dean Koontz (Author)

Series: Jane Hawk (1)

""I very much need to be dead." These are the chilling words left behind by a man who had everything to live for--but took his own life. In the void that remains stands his widow, Jane, surrounded by questions destined to go unanswered . . . unless she does what all the grief, fear, confusion, and fury inside of her demands: find the truth, no matter what"--… (more)
Member:Effinghamlibrarynh
Title:The Silent Corner: A Novel of Suspense
Authors:Dean Koontz (Author)
Info:Bantam (2017), Edition: 1st, 464 pages

The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz

English (37)  German (1)  All languages (38)
I had trouble getting into this one. I usually find that I can't put Koontz's books down, but this one was very put-downable for me. However, I liked Jane Hawk enough that I'll probably read the next book in the series. She is seriously as kick-ass as they come. I think the fact that there was zero exposition and no real build up took away a little from my enjoyment. Most books of this type start at 1 and build toward 10 as far as the tension goes. This one started at about 7 or 8 and built from there. So there wasn't a lot of room for the suspense and tension to build. The premise is interesting though so I'll see where the next one takes the story. ( )
  AliceAnna | Jul 7, 2020 |
Why did I listen to all of those glowing reviews about this book. I should have known. This is just more Koontz and his love of all things guns plot-lines with either a solo person or family going up against an evil group using nanotechnology to control human beings. I saw elements not only just from "77 Shadow Street" but he whole sale just reworked a plot from his "What the Knight Knows" story-line with a character who is affected by his sister being raped and murdered in front of him. And it pains me this is even categorized as horror. It's really not. It's just more of his suspense/thriller mess he has been writing for a while now.

The main character was pretty freaking souless (Jane Hawk) and I just didn't care anymore what happened to her or her kid that she stashes all over the place while taking down the super secret organization.

Maybe the book would have worked better if we actually had Koontz setting up the book enough to get us to care about her and her husband. We just hear about what a great guy he is and Jane just sits around remembering him. It was pretty boring after the first dozen chapters.

Jane is also the epitome of a Mary Sue. I cannot believe Koontz spent time on how gorgeous she was either. I mean I guess if she was ugly who would give a crap? I don't even know. There is a terrible scene where she is trying to get away from the bad guys and a guy picks her up in his car (putting himself in danger) and he talks about how attractive she is. And I think at that point I got an eye pain from the eye-rolling that I was doing at that time and just said screw it.

I can't even tell you much about other characters since you don't get to spend a lot of time with anyone. The book flip flops back and forth with Jane outrunning the bad guys and the FBI and a lot of looking evil in the face things happening.

There is not a lot of realism in this book either. There is some things based on age that didn't make sense for Jane or her husband. She's late 20s and would put Sidney Bristow from Alias to shame. I forget what age her husband was, but apparently he was a wunderkind with his rank. Sigh.

The writing wasn't great and the flow was awful. The chapters were choppy and we just kept jumping from scene to scene. You don't even have a chance to absorb what's going on since most of the writing only gets descriptive when describing guns, how to clean them, and what ammo is being used. I wish I was kidding. And I am not saying this because I am anti-gun. I was born and raised in PA. I have been around guns since I was a pre-teen. It's just this whole book is some weird military hybrid just like the last couple of books and it took me a long time to muddle through this.

I also want to forbid Koontz from writing about nano-technology anymore. Get a new plot dude. I just cannot take this seriously anymore. At this point I actually think having a damn dog in every book was better than reading about nanos and how they can affect people and totally change their brain chemistry, etc.

The ending was a joke. Things end on a cliffhanger (my least favorite literary device ever) so if you want to find out more about Jane's Guns and Her Adventures Against the Shadow Realm there are two more books in this series. The reviews have become less enthused, so I am fine with stopping here with book #1. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
3* ( )
  gumnut25 | Apr 21, 2020 |
Loving Jane Hawk! I'm a die hard Koontz fan...for years now...some of his books I love and some I only like. I loved this book. I am very ready for the next book in the series! ( )
  HeatherPerdigon | Mar 23, 2020 |
I checked out The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz from the library and I am so glad I did. I love characters like Jane Hawk, who do what must be done when others are unable to stand for themselves.

Call her a vigilante? Maybe. Call her a savior? Well, she can’t save them all and she pays a huge price. It was the suicide of her husband that sets her on the hunt. She doesn’t believe it. She must find out for herself…WHY.

The hunter becomes the hunted, when those who want to keep the suicides secret find out she is on the hunt. She finds some unlikely allies as she struggles to stay one step ahead of those who want her dead.

I thoroughly enjoyed joining Jane Hawk on her wild adventure. It made me think…could this happen today? Nanobots…are they good or bad, or both? Someone always finds a way to take something good and make it bad and ‘they’ do it in a frightening way in The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz.

The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz is part of the Jane Hawk series and does not stand alone. Read in order of release.

I immediately downloaded The Whispering Room, Book II in the Jane Hawk series.

See more at http://www.fundinmental.com ( )
  sherry69 | Feb 27, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

The major advances in civilization... all but wreck the societies in which they occur. - Alfred North Whitehead
I look down into all that wasp-nest or bee-hive... and witness their wax-laying and honey-making, and poison-brewing, and choking by sulphur. - Thomas Carlyle, Sartor Resartus
To Gerda. You rock me.
Jane Hawk woke in the cool dark and for a moment could not remember where she had gone to sleep, only that as always she was in a queen- or king-size bed and that her pistol lay under the pillow on which the head of a companion would have rested had she not been traveling alone.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,811,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible