The Neon Rain by James Lee Burke

The Neon Rain

by James Lee Burke

Series: Dave Robicheaux (1)

English (46)  French (1)  All (47)
I can see why every crime fiction fan kept recommending I read James Lee Burke. He and Michael Connelly really do stand out as the gritty realists who craft a great novel.

I can't give this 5 stars, however, as it is this gritty reality, the sense of not being able to make a difference do leave you feeling like you shouldn't have bothered reading it. "He won, but not really." I suppose in time that is why this appeals to fans of the genre, because it isn't just about entertaining, and will probably be why I revisit my ratings for Connelly and Burke, realising I sold them short. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
In the first of James Lee Burke’s Dave Robicheaux series, the title character is a homicide detective in New Orleans. He is an on-the-wagon alcoholic Vietnam veteran with a failed marriage who lives on a houseboat, so a pretty standard detective novel protagonist.

Right from the start it is apparent that the writing is of a high quality. The smell of the Louisiana heat rises from the page as the first-person narrative intersperses the rich descriptions with internal thoughts and triggered memories from his childhood or his time in Vietnam.

In many ways the novel is written as a tragedy,choices made by the protagonist throughout creating the consequences that take him deeper into trouble (to the extent that, while it was clear Robicheaux himself survived, I was surprised the ultimate outcomes were relatively happy), underscored by a well-plotted detective story laid subtly underneath. As well as these, there are musings on honour and loyalty and a rather nice implied link between the Vietnam war and the proxy wars that the US was fighting in South America.

I can't quite give it 4/5 so 3.5 stars ( )
  Pezski | Jun 8, 2017 |
3.5 * for the book itself. This first Robicheaux book did an excellent job evoking the early 1980s for me and I like the Louisiana setting (especially with Will Patton's accent). However I don't much like mysteries which feature police (or P.I.s) with troubled personal life and I dislike the way Robicheaux takes the law into his own hands( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 8, 2017 |
Excellent narration of a great novel. Will Patton is a natural for reading the Robicheaux novels. Burkes's silver-tongued pen does not disappoint. His prose and imagery makes him one of the best authors I've ever read. For me Patton took a bit to get used to but in the end, he IS Dave Robicheaux. ( )
  LJayLeBlanc | Dec 2, 2016 |
I first picked up The Neon Rain in the late 80's and was swept away by Burke's style and vivid description of my South Louisiana home. I subsequently read many of the Robicheaux novels. After reading Wayfaring Strangers last year, I decided I wanted to revisit Dave and started at the beginning. Thirty years later, the book didn't disappoint. While not Burke's best, his signature prose and familiar locale keep the pages turning. ( )
  LJayLeBlanc | Dec 2, 2016 |

Burke, James Leeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the family of Walter J. Burke of New Iberia, Louisiana, with great affection for their gentle spirit and kind ways.
The evening sky was streaked with purple, the color of torn plums, and a light rain had started to fall when I came to the end of the blacktop road that cut through twenty miles of thick, almost impenetrable scrub oak and pine and stopped at the front gate of Angola penitentiary.

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR JAMES LEE BURKE

THE NEON RAIN

Detective Dave Robicheaux has fought too many battles: in Vietnam, with killers and hustlers, with police brass, and with the bottle. Lost without his wife's love, Robicheaux's haunted soul mirrors the intensity and dusky mystery of New Orleans' French Quarter -- the place he calls home, and the place that nearly destroys him when he becomes involved in the case of a young prostitute whose body is found in a bayou. Thrust into the world of drug lords and arms smugglers, Robicheaux must face down a subterranean criminal world and come to terms with his own bruised heart in order to survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:30 -0400)

Detective Dave Robicheaux has fought too many battles: in Vietnam, with killers and hustlers, with police brass, and the bottle. Lost without his wife's love, Robicheaux's haunted soul mirrors the intensity and dusky mystery of New Orleans' French Quarter -- the place he calls home, and the place that nearly destroys him when he becomes involved in the case of a young prostitute whose body is found in a bayou. Thrust into the world of drug lords and arms smugglers, Robicheaux must face down a subterranean criminal world and come to terms with his own bruised heart in order to survive.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,064,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible