The Neon Rain by James Lee Burke

The Neon Rain

by James Lee Burke

Series: Dave Robicheaux (1)

English (43)  French (1)  All (44)
Excellent narration of a great novel. Will Patton is a natural for reading the Robicheaux novels. Burkes's silver-tongued pen does not disappoint. His prose and imagery makes him one of the best authors I've ever read. For me Patton took a bit to get used to but in the end, he IS Dave Robicheaux. ( )
  LJayLeBlanc | Dec 2, 2016 |
I first picked up The Neon Rain in the late 80's and was swept away by Burke's style and vivid description of my South Louisiana home. I subsequently read many of the Robicheaux novels. After reading Wayfaring Strangers last year, I decided I wanted to revisit Dave and started at the beginning. Thirty years later, the book didn't disappoint. While not Burke's best, his signature prose and familiar locale keep the pages turning. ( )
  LJayLeBlanc | Dec 2, 2016 |
A bit disappointing. I’ve read three other Dave Robicheaux books and enjoyed them very much. So much, that I thought I’d read this first book and get some grounding on Robicheaux and his life. Unfortunately, I did not connect with the story. I still enjoyed the wonderful descriptions of the New Orleans area, but the plot was confused and weak. If I had read this book first, I would not have felt like reading any more Robicheaux books. I suspect author James Lee Burke has improved his skill over the years. ( )
  ramon4 | Nov 27, 2016 |
I was a bit disappointed with this one, I've read later ones in the series and found them much smoother in the storytelling, much less disjointed action. It was certainly a 100 mile an hour introduction to Dave Robicheaux, but seemed to lack some of the subtlety I had expected.
Having said that it was probably a 2.5 star read, rounded up as I'm on holiday & feeling generous ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Will Patton
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |

Burke, James Leeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the family of Walter J. Burke of New Iberia, Louisiana, with great affection for their gentle spirit and kind ways.
The evening sky was streaked with purple, the color of torn plums, and a light rain had started to fall when I came to the end of the blacktop road that cut through twenty miles of thick, almost impenetrable scrub oak and pine and stopped at the front gate of Angola penitentiary.

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR JAMES LEE BURKE

THE NEON RAIN

Detective Dave Robicheaux has fought too many battles: in Vietnam, with killers and hustlers, with police brass, and with the bottle. Lost without his wife's love, Robicheaux's haunted soul mirrors the intensity and dusky mystery of New Orleans' French Quarter -- the place he calls home, and the place that nearly destroys him when he becomes involved in the case of a young prostitute whose body is found in a bayou. Thrust into the world of drug lords and arms smugglers, Robicheaux must face down a subterranean criminal world and come to terms with his own bruised heart in order to survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:30 -0400)

Detective Dave Robicheaux has fought too many battles: in Vietnam, with killers and hustlers, with police brass, and the bottle. Lost without his wife's love, Robicheaux's haunted soul mirrors the intensity and dusky mystery of New Orleans' French Quarter -- the place he calls home, and the place that nearly destroys him when he becomes involved in the case of a young prostitute whose body is found in a bayou. Thrust into the world of drug lords and arms smugglers, Robicheaux must face down a subterranean criminal world and come to terms with his own bruised heart in order to survive.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,734,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible