The Narnian: The Life and Imagination of C.…

The Narnian: The Life and Imagination of C. S. Lewis (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Alan Jacobs (Author)

The White Witch, Aslan, fauns and talking beasts, centaurs and epic battles between good and evil -- all these have become a part of our collective imagination through the classic volumes of The Chronicles of Narnia. Over the past half century, children everywhere have escaped into this world and delighted in its wonders and enchantments. Yet what we do know of the man who created Narnia? This biography sheds new light on the making of the original Narnian, C. S. Lewis himself. Lewis was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably the most influential religious writer of his day. An Oxford don and scholar of medieval literature, he loved to debate philosophy at his local pub, and his wartime broadcasts on the basics of Christian belief made him a celebrity in his native Britain. Yet one of the most intriguing aspects of Clive Staples Lewis remains a mystery. How did this middle-aged Irish bachelor turn to the writing of stories for children -- stories that would become among the most popular and beloved ever written? Alan Jacobs masterfully tells the story of the original Narnian. From Lewis's childhood days in Ireland playing with his brother, Warnie, to his horrific experiences in the trenches during World War I, to his friendship with J. R. R. Tolkien (and other members of the "Inklings"), and his remarkable late-life marriage to Joy Davidman, Jacobs traces the events and people that shaped Lewis's philosophy, theology, and fiction. The result is much more than a conventional biography of Lewis: Jacobs tells the story of a profound and extraordinary imagination. For those who grew up with Narnia, or for those just discovering it, The Narnian tells a remarkable tale of a man who knew great loss and great delight, but who knew above all that the world holds far more richness and meaning than the average eye can see.… (more)
Member:craigdbaker
Title:The Narnian: The Life and Imagination of C. S. Lewis
Authors:Alan Jacobs (Author)
Info:HarperSanFrancisco (2005), Edition: 1st, 342 pages

The Narnian: The Life and Imagination of C. S. Lewis by Alan Jacobs (2005)

One of my favorite authors writing about one of my favorite authors! ( )
  gcornett | Sep 22, 2017 |
An interesting biography of C. S. Lewis that focuses on his intellectual shifts throughout life and the intellectual issues that influenced his work. I found the beginning and ending engrossing, but the middle 4 or 5 chapters dragged significantly for me. ( )
  emilyesears | Aug 29, 2016 |
If you are looking for a book that will merely be a biography of C.S. Lewis this may not be the book for you. This book gives a brief biography of his life but is probably at least half an analysis of his writings and philosophy. I still need to read several of Lewis's books and I dislike reading analysis of books I have not read as it is difficult to weigh the author's thoughts about the book.

If you are looking for a biography of C. S. Lewis my first recommendation is to read his autobiography, Surprised by Joy. I'm not sure I have found the best biography yet. =) ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
ABBREVIATIONS; NOTES; INDEX; PHOTOGRAPHS
  saintmarysaccden | Mar 7, 2013 |
Very inspiring book. I was encouraged to see how this man could be a very earnest Christian yet so unique in every way. ( )
  Steve777 | Mar 15, 2010 |
"Child", said the Lion, "I am telling you your own story, not hers. No-one is told any story but their own."
To my godchildren:
Emma Kienitz Sniegowski
Daniel Martin Woodiwiss
Mary Howard Lin Edgar
When Clive Staples Lewis was four years old, in 1902 or 1903, he quite suddenly announced to his mother, father, and older brother that from that day forth he would no longer be known as Clive, but rather as "Jacksie."
Introduction
In March 1959 C. S. Lewis invited a friend named Roger Lancelyn Green to dinner at Magdalen College of Oxford University, where Lewis was a tutor; Green, although he had not been Lewis's pupil, had attended many of his lectures a decade earlier, and their friendship had grown over the years.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,716,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible