Saga, Vol. 7 by Brian K. Vaughan

Saga, Vol. 7

by Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples (Artist)

English (22)  Spanish (1)  All languages (23)
2018 Hugo Awards Best Graphic Story Nominee
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
A depressing, middling entry in a solid series. Stuff happens, some quite dramatic and sad, but it still feels like a lull in the story. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
Last year I read the first six volumes of Saga basically in one go, so it's a little weird to just read one volume by itself; I had to do a lot of mental re-orienting on its expansive cast of characters. Anyway, I don't think this is the best volume of Saga, but it's still good. (Volume six had more thematic depth, for example.) Sometimes I think Brian K. Vaughan is over-reliant on shock deaths to the extent that they cease to shock, but then at other times I am genuinely shocked, so there you go. It's good stuff with some nice twists outside of the deaths: surprising things are done to/by Marko, Alana, and Sir Robot here. I do wonder what kind of long-term plan there could possible be-- how can our heroes find peace if the galaxy cannot?-- but I'm here for the ride as long as it lasts.
  Stevil2001 | Jul 27, 2018 |
Saga Volume Seven written by Brian K Vaughan and illustrated by Fiona Staples is the seventh volume in the ongoing comic series. As with the previous volumes, it tells the next chapter in the story, collecting issues #37–42.

I didn't actually read the blurb above before reading this volume, and, having read it, would not have called it an "event" in the traditional comic book sense. Marvel events completely disrupt series, which was not at all the case here. "The War for Phang" was more just a more coherent story arc in a series that often has a few different threads on the go at once. So if you have comic events, best to just not think of this book as an event book.

It is nice, actually, to have a more contained story arc in Saga. There was less trying to remember what those side characters had been doing (though still a bit of that) and more coherent narration by future Hazel across the whole volume. Of course it dealt with a lot of the same issues that earlier parts of the Saga narrative have delved into: racism/interracial relations, war, death. Tying it all together with most of the story set on Phang increased the impact of some of the emotional points. Speaking of emotional points, the ending was also powerful (no spoilers).

I definitely recommend this volume to anyone who has enjoyed the previous volumes of Saga. It's not an especially good place to pick up the story since it really is a long ongoing saga. I'm looking forward to reading the next volume, which will hopefully be soon since it's already out and in my possession.

You can read more of my reviews on my blog. ( )
  Tsana | Jun 27, 2018 |
This is the volume I was dreading reading, in all honesty. I had heard a great deal about it, how powerful it was, and how intense. I knew from previous volumes that this one was liable to effect me. I wasn't surprised by how much it affected me, not really. It didn't draw tears as the certain volume of [b: Chew|11738219|Chewed|Arne Svenson|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1388327588s/11738219.jpg|16687436] did, but man did it leave me feeling hollow as I flipped through the last few pages.

Comic books, graphic novels, whatever you choose to call them. They are an art. This volume in particular elevated [b: Saga|15704307|Saga, Vol. 1 (Saga, #1)|Brian K. Vaughan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1486028947s/15704307.jpg|19113524] to that designation without question - as if there even was one after what previous issues had done. Arguably [b: Saga|15704307|Saga, Vol. 1 (Saga, #1)|Brian K. Vaughan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1486028947s/15704307.jpg|19113524] has been high art since the beginning, but this volume, man. This hit a nerve much like the remake of Battlestar Galactica did. A nice mirror for our times.

This volume's arc takes place on the comet Phang, where the horns and wings have been fighting over fuel for an interminable amount of time. The natives of the planet have been displaced for ages, and have turned their gaze forever to the past of what their comet used to be. They are hopeful that God will be good, will deliver them again. Our erstwhile protagonists have landed to refuel, but what should have taken hours has now taken months.

New characters are introduced, old characters die.

New people hunt the protagonists, old characters realize what drew them in might not have been what they expected.

Life goes on, and life ends.

Man. This volume.

I might need a minute. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |

Vaughan, Brian K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Families are goddamn wildfires.

"From the worldwide bestselling team of Fiona Staples and Brian K. Vaughan, 'The war for Phang' is an epic, self-contained Saga event. Finally reunited with her ever-expanding family, Hazel travels to a war-torn comet that Wreath and Landfall have been battling over for ages. New friendships are forged and others are lost forever in this action-packed volume about families, combat and the refugee experience."--Back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,967,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible