Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai

The Inheritance of Loss (2005)

by Kiran Desai

5,9181701,082 (3.41)1 / 528
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (Soupdragon)
    The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga (petterw)
    White Teeth by Zadie Smith (Korrick)
    Snow by Orhan Pamuk (dele2451)
    Small Island by Andrea Levy (kathrynnd)
    A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Non-linear storytelling. Post-colonial novel. Deals with a period of political unrest.
    Such a Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry (mcenroeucsb)
    Netherland by Joseph O'Neill (jayne_charles)
    jayne_charles: Both have stunning writing making up for absence of plot, and common ground in terms of the immigrant experience in New York

English (162)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (169)
For an award winning book, I was quite disappointed. I read 6/32 (56 pages) chapters and just couldn't finish reading it when I had 11 hours and/or 330 pages to cover. I found the book plotless. There were various narrators and I wasn't sure who was telling the story at any given moment. I thought maybe it was because I was listening to the audio, but then I got the book from the library, and still could not follow along. The characters were flat and I couldn't care about any of them. In two words: mundane and boring! ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Jun 5, 2019 |
The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai

Set in the late 1980;s this story revolves around Sai, who goes to live with her Grandfather (A Judge) after losing both her parents. The second revolves around Biju, the son of Sai's (Grandfather's) Cook. Sai lives in India with a strict and often distracted grandfather. While Biju lives is the United States trying to make a living as a cook, and an undocumented immigrant.

The story moves at a slow pace with attention to detail, and rich dialog. The characters are well developed and I got to know each one well. Both Sai and Biju are very likable and each is gong through their own personal discoveries. They face many challenges and want to achieve the best they can out of life. Overall I found The Inheritance of Loss enjoyable and feel others will enjoy it as well. ( )
  SheriAWilkinson | Mar 3, 2019 |
Cruel, oh so cruel. This privileged daughter of a famous author, well educated and rich creates some down trodden loser characters in a fading town and then trods on them even further. It made for depressing reading and I did not see the point. I admit, I could not get past the image of this rich, young, beautiful and successful woman creating these characters and laughing at their misery all through the book (yes, she is laughing, read the book if you do not believe me). And, she got a Booker for it, right! ( )
  RekhainBC | Feb 15, 2019 |
I’m puzzled by blurbs that describe this book as humorous, comedic, and joyful; I found it pretty depressing. I can’t say too much less spoilers, but it’s overlapping stories of Indians in India and in the United States. The characters all seem utterly helpless in the face of malign forces out of their control, ranging from government bureaucracy to political insurrection. I should clarify; it’s definitely a good book, insightful and worth reading, but if you’re looking for something light and cheerful look elsewhere. ( )
1 vote setnahkt | Jan 24, 2019 |
I won't be posting a full review about this novel as I didn't enjoy it. I can see why others would like it and I can understand why it won the awards that it did; interesting story, strong characters, insights into human nature, love and violence, etc. However, all that said I just did not like it. ( )
  ChelleBearss | Mar 9, 2018 |

Kiran Desaiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lai, Chin-YeeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Boast of Quietness

Writings of light assault the darkness, more prodigious than meteors.

The tall unknowable city takes over the countryside.

Sure of my life and my death, I observe the ambitious and would like to understand them.

Their day is greedy as a lariat in the air.

Their night is a rest from the rage within steel, quick to attack.

They speak of humanity.

My humanity is in feeling we are all voices of the same poverty.

They speak of homeland.

My homeland is the rhythm of a guitar, a few portraits, an old sword, the willow grove's visible prayer as evening falls.

Time is living me.

More silent than my shadow, I pass through the loftily covetous multitude.

They are indispensable, singular, worthy of tomorrow.

My name is someone and anyone.

I walk slowly, like one who comes from so far away he doesn't expect to arrive.

-Jorge Luis Borges
To my mother with so much love
All day, the colours had been those of dusk, mist moving like a water creature across the great flanks of mountains possessed of ocean shadows and depths.
An accident, they said, and there was nobody to blame - it was just fate in the way fate has of providing the destitute with a greater quota of accidents for which nobody can be blamed.
Just ordinary humans in ordinary opaque boiled-egg light, without grace, without revelation, composite of contradictions, easy principles, arguing about what they half believed in or even what they didn't believe in at all, desiring comfort as much as raw austerity, authenticity as much as playacting, desiring coziness of family as much as to abandon it forever.
...and he felt a flash of jealousy as do friends when they lose another to love, especially those who have understood that friendship is enough, steadier, healthier, easier on the heart. Something that always added and never took away. (Ch 39)

In a crumbling, isolated house at the foot of Mount Kanchenjunga in the Himalayas lives an embittered judge who wants only to retire in peace, when his orphaned granddaughter, Sai, arrives on his doorstep. The judge’s cook watches over her distractedly, for his thoughts are often on his son, Biju, who is hopscotching from one gritty New York restaurant to another. Kiran Desai’s brilliant novel, published to huge acclaim, is a story of joy and despair. Her characters face numerous choices that majestically illuminate the consequences of colonialism as it collides with the modern world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:56 -0400)

In a crumbling, isolated house at the foot of Mount Kanchenjunga in the Himalayas lives an embittered judge who wants only to retire in peace, when his orphaned granddaughter, Sai, arrives on his doorstep. The judgeʾs cook watches over her distractedly, for his thoughts are often on his son, Biju, who is hopscotching from one gritty New York restaurant to another. Kiran Desaiʾs brilliant novel, published to huge acclaim, is a story of joy and despair. Her characters face numerous choices that majestically illuminate the consequences of colonialism as it collides with the modern world. Winner of 2006 Man Booker Prize.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141027282, 0141399368

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,502,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible