The Wanderers by Meg Howrey

The Wanderers (edition 2017)

by Meg Howrey (Author)

"Station Eleven meets The Martian in this brilliantly inventive novel about three astronauts training for the first-ever mission to Mars, an experience that will push the boundary between real and unreal, test their relationships, and leave each of them--and their families--changed forever In an age of space exploration, we search to find ourselves. In four years Prime Space will put the first humans on Mars. Helen Kane, Yoshi Tanaka, and Sergei Kuznetsov must prove they're the crew for the job by spending seventeen months in the most realistic simulation ever created. Retired from NASA, Helen had not trained for irrelevance. It is nobody's fault that the best of her exists in space, but her daughter can't help placing blame. The MarsNOW mission is Helen's last chance to return to the only place she's ever truly felt at home. For Yoshi, it's an opportunity to prove himself worthy of the wife he has loved absolutely, if not quite rightly. Sergei is willing to spend seventeen months in a tin can if it means travelling to Mars. He will at least be tested past the point of exhaustion, and this is the example he will set for his sons. As the days turn into months the line between what is real and unreal becomes blurred, and the astronauts learn that the complications of inner space are no less fraught than those of outer space. The Wanderers gets at the desire behind all exploration: the longing for discovery and the great search to understand the human heart"--… (more)
Member:Jaylia3
Title:The Wanderers
Authors:Meg Howrey (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons (2017), 384 pages
Tags:historical fiction

The Wanderers by Meg Howrey

While i am not into sci-fi this was really good and left u geussing how it will end. Unfortunately, the ending was left open. I wished they would have been a ending, but then again if i would have not liked the ending...... maybe leaving it open was better ( )
  kakadoo202 | Sep 18, 2019 |
Still processing this novel, but wow. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
The characters are flat. Nothing happens in the story -- at least not in the first 2/3. I stopped reading at that point. ( )
  sci901 | Jan 15, 2018 |
I bet Meg Howrey admires Tom Robbins. There's a similar sort of clever here. I liked this one, but I definitely recommend the audiobook because I suspect I would have appreciated it less without the narrator's skill with dialect and subtle emotional tone. ( )
  KimMeyer | Sep 7, 2017 |
If you are looking for a replica of The Martian or Station Eleven, that is not this book. Instead, this book is an exploration of the humans involved in a Martian space simulation, whether by being the selected astronaut or one of the family members waiting while the 17 month Mars simulation progresses. Whether from the past or present, these people and their stories, their frailties and strengths, their hopes and worries for themselves, earth and humankind; they will touch your soul. I think if you know that going in you'll enjoy your travels through this beautiful, beautiful book. ( )
  sydsavvy | Sep 5, 2017 |

Meg Howreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cavanaugh, MeighanDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marno, MozhanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,573,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible