The Wanderers by Meg Howrey

The Wanderers (edition 2017)

by Meg Howrey (Author)

Member:Jaylia3
Title:The Wanderers
Authors:Meg Howrey (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons (2017), 384 pages
Tags:historical fiction

The Wanderers by Meg Howrey

I don't think of this as science fiction but it's great for the right readers. It's basically a locked-room mystery set in the future and a psychological study of 3 extremely talented, focused professionals trapped inside a simulation and their over-achieving self-identities. Also, there are some insightful family portraits of the people left behind 'on Earth'. It's low on action and deep in POV contemplation. ( )
  KatyBee | Jul 12, 2017 |
This is a detailed psychological, personality and mental evaluation of three people who are chosen to take the first manned space flight to Mars. We are subjected to a thorough exam of each of their strengths and weaknesses as well as those of their family members who will be left behind during the mission. Upon finishing this book, I got the feeling that the space travel aspect was incidental to the psych evaluation study. The setting could be swapped out for any other intense, dangerous, close-quarters situation: test pilots, Navy SEALS, Swat teams, etc. It is not a quick read, you need to be able to invest some time to complete this one. My thanks to the author and the Penguin First to Read program for a complimentary copy. ( )
  musichick52 | May 29, 2017 |
A fantastic but somewhat quiet character study of astronauts during a simulation of a misson to Mars. ( )
  ablachly | May 18, 2017 |
In four years Prime Space will put the first humans on Mars. Helen Kane, Yoshi Tanaka, and Sergei Kuznetsov are going to spend seventeen months in the most realistic simulation ever created in order to prove they're the crew for the job.

Helen is retired from NASA. This is her last chance to return to where she feels at home, where she can be her best self. Even if that means leaving her grown daughter behind.. again.

Yoshi wants to prove himself worthy of his wife, even though he loves her completely but maybe he doesn't love her in the right way. (this is weird.)

Sergei is going to Mars so he can be tested beyond the point of exhaustion. He wants to prove to his father and to himself that he is not meek. He wants to set a good example for his sons.

Days turn into months and even though the astronauts are busy, the lives and people they left behind have a way of seeping into their minds.

I was so excited when I won this. And I was so excited when I finished it. Sadly this book wasn't for me. I hated the thoughts of picking it back up after setting it aside. It just seemed like there were too many words - it lacked warmth, it didn't flow smoothly, I couldn't envision much. There were too many characters. It would've been fine to include the astronaut's family in their own chapters, but I didn't want to read about their own lives. Yoshi's wife was very strange. I get that it's more focused on family and feelings and discovery but ughhhhh *yawn* I did like reading about Helen, Sergei and Yoshi together on their journey, but that seemed few and far between all the other stuff.

I won a copy through Goodreads First Reads. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
Helen, Sergei, and Yoshi are three astronauts selected to be the first to travel to Mars and back by a private company called Prime. But first, they have to do the trip in a simulation. They will be spending 17 months in isolation in the Utah desert, under constant observation while they "go" to Mars and back. I really liked this book because it shows how the astronauts' families deal with the fact that their loved one wants to leave them to go into outer space. It also did an excellent job showing why the astronauts need to go. Recommended! ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Apr 1, 2017 |

Station Eleven meets The Martian in this brilliantly inventive novel about three astronauts training for the first-ever mission to Mars, an experience that will push the boundary between real and unreal, test their relationships, and leave each of them—and their families—changed forever

In an age of space exploration, we search to find ourselves.

In four years Prime Space will put the first humans on Mars. Helen Kane, Yoshi Tanaka, and Sergei Kuznetsov must prove they’re the crew for the job by spending seventeen months in the most realistic simulation ever created.

Retired from NASA, Helen had not trained for irrelevance. It is nobody’s fault that the best of her exists in space, but her daughter can’t help placing blame. The MarsNOW mission is Helen’s last chance to return to the only place she’s ever truly felt at home. For Yoshi, it’s an opportunity to prove himself worthy of the wife he has loved absolutely, if not quite rightly. Sergei is willing to spend seventeen months in a tin can if it means travelling to Mars. He will at least be tested past the point of exhaustion, and this is the example he will set for his sons.

As the days turn into months the line between what is real and unreal becomes blurred, and the astronauts learn that the complications of inner space are no less fraught than those of outer space. The Wanderers gets at the desire behind all exploration: the longing for discovery and the great search to understand the human heart.

Library Journal, A Big Fiction pick for March 2017

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 02 Dec 2016 08:51:50 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,080,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible