dismiss

Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World by…

Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World (edition 2017)

by Kelly Jensen (Author)

"A scrapbook-style teen guide to understanding what it really means to be a feminist packed with contributions from a diverse range of voices, including celebrities and public figures, and featuring more than forty-four pieces, including an eight-page insert of full-color illustrations"--
Member:Shareuv
Title:Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World
Authors:Kelly Jensen (Author)
Info:Algonquin Young Readers (2017), 240 pages

Here We Are : Feminism for the Real World by Kelly Jensen (Editor)

A good and diverse overview about what feminism is (and isn't). I really enjoyed reading from so many different contributers with different backgrounds. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
Cute little book with stories from various women, usually about feminism (except Mindy Kaling? She just snuck a normal teenage story in). ( )
  nheredia05 | Jun 12, 2018 |
Great introduction to modern feminism for young and teenage girls. I need to buy this for many people :-D ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Here We Are is a collection of forty-four pieces about feminism - mostly short essays, but also some comics, art, and poetry. Divided into topics like "starting the journey," "body and mind," "gender, sex, and sexuality," "culture and pop culture," "relationships," "confidence and ambition," and "go your own way," the anthology covers a wide range of issues. Most of the pieces - particularly the chapter intros by editor Kelly Jensen - have an introductory or basic feel to them; the target audience is likely teens and young adults. That said, as an adult barreling toward middle age, I found a lot here to love as well. Here We Are would make an excellent gift for the budding young feminist in your life - but don't be surprised if you find yourself leafing through the pages too!

What most attracted me to the book is the wide variety of names attached to the project. Some are authors whose work I know and love (Malindo Lo, Roxane Gay, Laurie Halse Anderson, Jessica Luther, Nova Ren Suma); others have had books on my TBR pile for what feels like forever (Daniel José Older, Brandy Colbert, Courtney Summers, Kody Keplinger). There are even a few contributions from well-known politicians (Wendy Davis) and actors (Amandla Stenberg). The book showcases a nice diversity of voices, with people of different races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and abilities. There are even a few men present - something that made me hesitate at first, until Matt Nelson won me over with his essay, "Privilege."

Normally with anthologies, I do a brief summary or at least a rating of each piece, but 44 is a little more of a challenge. Instead I'll just point to a few of my favorites. Roxane Gay's "Bad Feminist: Take Two" is both amazing and laugh out loud funny (not a surprise). I also found Malinda Lo's "Forever Feminist," in which she writes about her grandmother's immigration to China (right before Japan invaded Shanghai in 1937) incredibly touching.

In "Pretty Enough," Alida Nugent writes about growing up a biracial teen in Westchester, New York. While vising Puerto Rico didn't magically cure all the insecurities Nugent had about her body - big nose, curly hair - it gave her a place where she finally felt like she fit in: "And oh, how beautiful it is to feel just like yourself."

Shveta Thakrar's "A Thousand Paper Cuts" legit gave me chills, and "Dragging Myself into Self-Love" by Constance Augustus Zaber is wonderful as well. And these are just the ones I remember off the top of my head (it's been a few months since I finished).

A word of caution: this is one of those crafty-type books, with lots of art and illustrations, so it's better read in print form or - for the ebook version - on a PC, iPad, etc. The art is next-to-impossible to make out on a Kindle. ( )
  smiteme | Jul 23, 2017 |
Thought-provoking and inspiring. ( )
  chronic | Apr 25, 2017 |

Whaley, KaylaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wurth, Erika T.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Xu, WendyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zaber, Constance AugustaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,929,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible