The Moth Presents All These Wonders: True…

The Moth Presents All These Wonders: True Stories About Facing the Unknown

by Catherine Burns (Editor)

Other authors: Neil Gaiman (Foreword)

The Moth returns to the oldest of all storytelling traditions - the oral tradition. The purpose of the organization, according to its media kit, states, "The Moth celebrates the ability of stories to honor both the diversity and commonality of human experience, and to satisfy a vital human need for connection. It seeks to present recognized storytellers among established and emerging writers, performers and artists and to encourage storytelling among communities whose stories often go unheard." This book is a first glimpse into a fascinating project. I look forward to reading and listening to more.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2017/09/the-moth-presents-all-these-wonders.htm...

Reviewed for Blogging for Books. ( )
  njmom3 | Sep 4, 2017 |
An absolutely amazing collection. I don't subscribe to the Moth podcast but I've heard a story or two - enough to be interested in the book - and even on the page the stories are incredible. There's not a dud in the bunch, and I was sad when it ended - I'm going to look up the earlier collection and read that too.

Quotes

From the Foreword by Neil Gaiman:
The Moth teaches us not to judge by appearances. It teaches us to listen. It reminds us to empathize.

From the Introduction by Catherine Burns:
WE live in a world where bearing witness to a stranger's unfiltered story is an act of tremendous compassion. To listen with an open heart and an open mind and try to understand what it's like to be them...takes real courage.
...
And when we dare to listen, we remember that there is no "other," there is only us, and what we have in common will always be greater than what separates us.

From "The House of Mourning" by Kate Braestrup
"Just walk fearlessly into the house of mourning, for grief is just love squaring up to its oldest enemy. And after all these mortal human years, love is up to the challenge."

From "A Tale of Two Dinners" by Bliss Broyard
"Look, the minute you let other people define you, you are just giving away your power."

From "R2, Where Are You?" by Tig Notaro
"And I'm realizing that it's not the child's responsibility to teach the parent who they are. It's the parent's responsibility to learn who the child is."

From "Coming of Age in a Mausoleum" by George Dawes Green
I loved him the way that a worm loves its apple.

-->Kate Tellers essay collection (tentatively titled We Always Knew You Would Be OK) - look this up when it comes out!

From "The Price of Freedom" by Noreen Riols
And I realized then that we all have a breaking point. And we can never know until we're faced with the situation what that breaking point actually is.

Amy Biancolli --> https://figuringshitout.net/

From "Forgiveness" by Hector Black
A friend of mine told me that when you hate, you take poison and expect the other person to die. And I think that's true. Revenge and anger hold you in the past; forgiveness can free you to go into the future.

I also loved Mary-Claire King's story "Who Can You Trust?" in which Joe DiMaggio makes an appearance. ( )
  JennyArch | Jul 12, 2017 |
I thought this would be a collection of short stories and was pleasantly surprised to discover a series of short memoirs. John Turturro’s story was particularly interesting to me as I am a big fan of his work.

These are poignant and insightful true stories that give you a different perspective of their lives. Well written and interesting, you may feel as if you are at a personal reading or sitting in their den as their story unfolds. I’m actually still reading some of the stories but so far I love this book.

Before getting this book I didn’t know about The Moth. It’s about the art of storytelling. Check out their site HERE. There are free audio stories and they are just wonderful.
Here is The Moth's Facebook page.

I received this book from the Blogging for Books Program. All opinions are my own, I was not compensated. ( )
  SquirrelHead | Apr 7, 2017 |

Burns, CatherineEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,502,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible