Beauvallet by Georgette Heyer

Beauvallet (original 1929; edition 1969)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Beauvallet
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Bantam Books (1969), Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Read, Read this year, ebooks, Working on, BOMBs
Rating:***
Tags:__make_cover, _import160910, !Po, Fic, Romance, Romance:Historical

Beauvallet by Georgette Heyer (1929)

Eh. It ends OK, but I barely made it through the first part. Nicholas is an idiot and Dominica is worse, at the beginning on his ship. He gets less annoying after we see him in England - slightly less annoying. I like Simon the Coldheart quite a lot - I've read and reread and enjoyed that book - but Mad Nicholas (his descendant), with the same determination, is not to my taste. The language is a bit odd, too (I understand both medieval and Regency phrasing much better); and I greatly prefer the earlier time - Elizabeth's court has too many twisty people and politics for me. Though they don't spend much time in court. If I believed there was any chance Nicholas wouldn't win through, the time in Spain would have been terrifying; as it was, I was mostly waiting, often with some impatience, to see what rabbit he'd pull out of the hat this time. Overall, I'm not sorry I read it, but I have no great interest in ever rereading. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jan 14, 2018 |
Almost a 4-star. Very swashbuckling and historically accurate in the same way it's prequel was. If I compare this to my favourite Heyer's it is definitely less compelling. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jul 8, 2017 |
Swashbuckling pirate meets lady, follows lady. Sweeps her off her feet. Not a typical regency setting, Elizabethan, and a bit more obvious a romance than usual.

Re-read review. This being a re-read, you already know that Nicholas Beauvallet, pirate and heir to an estate, is going to get his lady. To be honest, that's pretty obvious on the first reading of it as well. What this allows you to do on a re-read is to enjoy the ride, knowing that the end arrives safely. The pair of them spar from the first, when he captures the ship she is traveling back to Spain in. He promises to come and find her in Spain and take her to be his bride. There are then any number of schemes and escapades as he enters Spain, traces the lady and follows her to achieve his aim. Its is a load of fun, so sit back and enjoy the ride. ( )
  Helenliz | May 30, 2016 |
I found “Beauvallet” to be good in parts rather than as a whole. The opening chapters set upon the title character’s ship were mostly entertaining, as were the majority of scenes towards the end of the book. Everything in between was hit or miss.

I felt that after Beauvallet weighed anchor and returned to his brother and sister-in-law’s home there was too much repetition regarding what the hero had done and intended to do. As a reader I knew all this, so these scenes served little purpose, other than to show the two brothers’ relationships and differences in their natures, but still this could have been done in a more lively fashion.

The only thing I really didn’t like was the character Joshua’s lengthy monologues. These irritated rather than amused me. As the tale progressed I tended to skip over condensed paragraphs that feature Joshua speaking.

I thought Nicholas Beauvallet was cool, although as he was deemed so undefeatable all every aspect, there’s never any suspense regarding whether or not he’ll succeed in his every venture.

Dominica, the beautiful Spanish heroine, and her lethargic yet determined Aunt Beatrice, were both engaging characters.

Not a bad read but wouldn’t consider reading it again. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Jan 28, 2015 |
This certainly wasn't my favourite Heyer novel so far, given the hero's grabby hands and ego, but at least the heroine was a match for him in many ways, and it is a fun set up. It's not a Regency novel like most of Heyer's others, but one of the more historical ones, and honestly I could've dispensed with the romance for more of Nick swashbuckling his way around Spain as a spy. That plot, I liked: I wonder what Heyer would have done if that was her focus.

While this isn't as amusing as most of her work, and the romance wasn't exactly to die for, I did enjoy it well enough. It's only the fact that I know Heyer also wrote The Talisman Ring and The Grand Sophy, both of which I love, that means this rather pales in comparison. ( )
  shanaqui | Nov 23, 2014 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Garrett, CorneliusNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graham, HeatherForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To F. D. H.
The deck was a shambles.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037383604X, Mass Market Paperback)

What happens when a pirate falls in love with his captive?

During her return to Spain with her father, the lovely Dona Dominica de Rada y Sylva is horrified when their ship is set upon by pirates. Far worse is her discovery that their captor isn't just any pirate -- he is the notorious Sir Nicholas Beauvallet, an Englishman with a scandalous reputation for plundering Spanish ships. But Dominica's pride braces her determination to be no one's hostage . . .

I should have been easy for Sir Nicholas. It was, after all, just another ship. But instead, Sir Nicholas finds himself captivated by Dominica's dark beauty and indomitable courage. After returning his captives to their homeland, Sir Nicholas vows to win the heart of the Spanish beauty. It could be his riskiest venture yet -- and one that promises a treasure greater than any other . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:44 -0400)

When Nicholas, a notorious pirate, captures Dona during a raid on a Spanish ship, they soon fall in love with each other, but after returning her home, Nicholas must outwit enemies who want to kill him when he comes back for her.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,998,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible