Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin

Black Like Me (1960)

by John Howard Griffin

The magnolia jungle; the life, times, and education of a southern editor by P. D. East (Cecrow)
    Lowest of the Low by Günter Wallraff (edwinbcn)
    edwinbcn: Similar partcicipating observation large scale undercover operations, disclosing racism in Europe and the US, respectively. Classic studies with a huge impact.

In the Deep South of the 1950s, journalist John Howard Griffin decided to cross the color line.? Using medication that darkened his skin to deep brown, he exchanged his privileged life as a Southern white man for the disenfranchised world of an unemployed black man.?ÿ His audacious, still chillingly relevant eyewitness history is a work about race and humanity-that in this new millennium still has something important to say to every American. ( )
  cdiemert | Jul 30, 2017 |
I read this book in high school, and it played a role in my growing sensibilities about race and racism. It is a classic, and I am pleased to see (from reviews here and at Amazon) that it continues to educate and inform readers of all ages. ( )
1 vote danielx | Jun 13, 2017 |
I honestly think that every American High-School student should have to read this book. The entire concept is amazing, but the results it produces, along with the profound facts that come to light, makes it all the more worthwhile. This is an excellent book, no matter what the reason for reading it is. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
A well written classic, very thought provoking. Someone should re-do this experiment. Easy to listen to. ( )
  JBP11 | Nov 18, 2016 |
a must a book my dad loved and a book that I later read and loved as well . ( )
  jsnickola | Nov 12, 2016 |
Rest at pale evening... A tall slim tree... Night coming tenderly... Black like me. --From "Dream Variation" Langston Hughes
"This may not be all of it. It may not cover all of the questions, but it is what it is like to be a Negro in a land where we keep the Negro down." - preface
"For years the idea had haunted me, and that night it returned more insistently than ever."
"The most obscene figures are not the ignorant ranting racists, but the legal minds who front for them, who invent for them the legislative proposals and the propoganda bulletins. They deliberately choose to foster distortions, always under the guise of patriotism, upon a people who have no means of checking the facts."
"He cannot understand how the white man can show the most demeaning aspects of his nature and at the same time delude himself into thinking he is inherently superior."
"I learned within a very few hours that no one was judging me by my qualities as a human individual and everyone was judging me by my pigment."

Some drugs and makeup
Transform a white man to black
To learn of racism.
(yoyogod)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451208641, Paperback)

In the Deep South of the 1950s, journalist John Howard Griffin decided to cross the color line.  Using medication that darkened his skin to deep brown, he exchanged his privileged life as a Southern white man for the disenfranchised world of an unemployed black man.  His audacious, still chillingly relevant eyewitness history is a work about race and humanity-that in this new millennium still has something important to say to every American.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:29 -0400)

"In the Deep South of the 1950s, a color line was etched in blood across Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. Journalist John Howard Griffin decided to cross that line. Using medication that darkened his skin to deep brown, he exchanged his privileged life as a Southern white man for the disenfranchised world of an unemployed black man. What happened to John Howard Griffin-- from the outside and within himself-- as he made his way through the segregated Deep South is recorded in this searing work of nonfiction"--Back cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,894,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible