Genealogy Online for Dummies by Matthew L.…

On 10 Sept. 2016, the 7th edition of this book was listed on Amazon.com as the current version. My copy is probably the first or one of the first books that would form my genealogy library. My 1998 version only has one year for its publication date. ( )
  MississippiRootsGirl | Nov 10, 2016 |
Genealogy Online for Dummies by Matthew Helm and April Leigh Helm, IDG Books Worldwide, Inc., 1998, paperback.
  pa-roots | Jul 8, 2013 |
good online guild for genealogy research ( )
  swedish_gnome | Mar 3, 2011 |
I’ve been casually doing genealogy research for years, but I recently decided I wanted to step it up a notch. So I decided to go to the library and get a book. Their selection wasn’t huge, but I did find this one and thought I’d give it a try.

The instructions are quite basic in some areas, so I skipped entire pages. I know how to send an email and I know how to navigate the internet with a browser. I suppose that might be helpful to someone else, but I’m very familiar with computers.

Where I did appreciate that basics approach was in the genealogy stuff. It was helpful to a person like me to see it broken down bit by bit. There were also a lot of helpful links, and the trial versions on the software disc were pretty cool.

Overall, I’m glad I checked this one out from the library. Good to have read; don’t need to own. ( )
  stacyinthecity | Apr 25, 2010 |
mostly for people with us ancestors but has many good website address for other countries.
Easy reading
  jdbucky | Jan 4, 2009 |

Matthew L. Helmprimary authorall editionscalculated
Helm, April Leighmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0764503774, Paperback)

The Helms have put together an excellent introductory guide to doing genealogical research online. They've avoided the usual trap of organizing their book by resources, which may be easy for the author but makes it harder on the user. So instead of devoting this chapter to useful Web sites, that chapter to valuable newsgroups, and so forth, they've organized the book in a way closer to the way you'd organize good family research.

They begin with a series of chapters on preparation, including doing initial groundwork, developing a plan, picking the names to begin researching, and locating ancestors geographically. Next, they deal with the means for finding valuable records and then delve into getting the most from your resources. Chapter 8, for example, discusses organizing and presenting your findings, while chapter 9 deals with cooperating with other researchers so that you can all be more effective (and probably make some new friends in the bargain).

As is always the case with a Dummies series book, the Helms present a "Part of Tens" section, in this case four chapters each covering 10 top online genealogical sites, tips for designing your genealogical Web page, sites for beginners, and general tips for "smooth sailing." An enclosed CD-ROM contains nine genealogy programs plus a wide assortment of Internet tools and utilities. --Elizabeth Lewis

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:56 -0400)

Offers advice on researching family history on the Web, including search strategies, data sharing, government records, genealogical software, and publishing the results on the Web.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,362,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible